Newest Hacks

Hard Mode Quick turn Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Red Rescue Team EX Super Wario Bros. 3 - Censored Edition

Newest Translations

Mother Zelda II: The Adventure of Link Lunar Pool Final Fight

Newest Utilities

sf_decrunch Elemental Gearbolt (PSX) BIN repacker Super Gokuden 1 Translation Tools DashEditor - Mega Man Legends Translation Toolkit

Newest Reviews

Pokémon Trading Card Game 2 Super Royal Pals. Ocarina of Time - Gender Neutral SMW The Crown Tale

Newest Homebrew

4 Way Play test ROM Retail Clerk '89 Sega Genesis 6 button controller test Parachute

Puyo Puyo

2 June 2000 - Reflection by Gideon Zhi

Reflection

This project probably started out as a labor of love (I absolutely adore puyopuyo games) but it probably ended as something less than that. As of right now, it is approximately three hours and fifty-four minutes after starting the project, which turned out to be laced with eViL trickery, like 8×7 fonts that have random gunk (or maybe it’s code?) between the letters… vertically. This made it a royal pain to view in Naga, and totally unviewable in Tlayer.

Not just that, but it’s not stored in normal NES mode, either. It’s stored in 1bpp… but when viewed in such, the “normal” font which was rarely used came out as two characters side-by-side, and no matter how many different options I tried, they still wouldn’t meld. *shrugs* Ah well. Thing with the whole font situation is that it wouldn’t have been so bad if a full English font was accesible during the Mission mode. But of course, no such font existed – rather, there were a few sparse letters (A,E,G,I,N,O,P,R,S,T,U) laced with a few seemingly random Japanese characters. In other words, the entire font was wholy comprised of -exactly- what the game needed. Editing it posed problems as well. If I held the right mouse button down for too long in Naga’s 8×7 editor, my whole system would lock up. This happened at least 6 times. And there was the whole deal of finding the font amidst all of the random graphic data and bits of code that it was laced with. You can imagine my frustration when I realized that when using the Puyopuyo characters the game used a different font than when using the Human characters, even though they used exactly the same text data and they placed the exact same characters in the exact same places. It was agravating, editing t hat font. But I conquered it!#@!#&*#!&*#&^

:P

The game itself is pretty fun. If you’ve played Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine or Kirby’s Avalance, you get the idea. In fact, the Japanese versions of the above games had different people (they starred a fighter-mage called Arle) and were, in fact, Puyo Puyo games! I’m also kind of working on Super Nazu Puyo 2, an RPG which features “battles” reminiscient of the Mission Mode of the NES Puyo Puyo game.

In the end, while the game was a royal pain to hack, I don’t bear it any ill will. The series remains one of my all-time favorites… And besides, I wanted to prove that I could do the game within four hours. And I did! :D (You can check my ICQ history with KLin to prove that!)