News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database  (Read 10202 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« on: April 20, 2010, 04:17:13 pm »
Update By: RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net's RHDNBot.

The following Hacks have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest):

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/)

elricorico

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 10:53:32 pm »
Now that my first released hack, Super Mario Kart Alternate Tracks, has been out for a couple of months and hit one of these frontpage posts, I wonder if anyone has checked it out?  I haven't received any feedback so far, so I'm curious if I'm the only one playing it.

Hamlet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 07:15:22 am »
Now that my first released hack, Super Mario Kart Alternate Tracks, has been out for a couple of months and hit one of these frontpage posts, I wonder if anyone has checked it out?  I haven't received any feedback so far, so I'm curious if I'm the only one playing it.
Just tried the 50cc Mushroom Cup. Looks very promising so far! Bower Castle is visually a bit confusing, but I guess that is the point difficulty-wise. BTW, the grandstands on the first track are a great idea!

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 10:10:12 am »
For some reason, I thought that the FFVI All Stars hack was the one that had characters from various FF games... :/
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

elricorico

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 02:16:41 pm »
Just tried the 50cc Mushroom Cup. Looks very promising so far! Bower Castle is visually a bit confusing, but I guess that is the point difficulty-wise. BTW, the grandstands on the first track are a great idea!

Thanks Hamlet, I do feel that the Bowser Castle Tracks were a bit of a weak point (though I have a soft spot for BC3).  Also the Vanilla Lake tracks I really felt like my imagination ran dry. 

Highlights for me:
Mario Circuits (though MC4 was a headache, and I'm still not sure the AI is as good as it should be)
Koopa Beachs (especially the Star Cup opener)
Ghost Valleys (although they aren't especially complicated, I think they just work well)

Hamlet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 05:58:00 am »

Thanks Hamlet, I do feel that the Bowser Castle Tracks were a bit of a weak point (though I have a soft spot for BC3).  Also the Vanilla Lake tracks I really felt like my imagination ran dry. 

Highlights for me:
Mario Circuits (though MC4 was a headache, and I'm still not sure the AI is as good as it should be)
Koopa Beachs (especially the Star Cup opener)
Ghost Valleys (although they aren't especially complicated, I think they just work well)
No, thank YOU for the hack. So I finished all courses on 50cc and the first one on 100cc.
I have to tell You, that I am really amazed. The idea behind Koopa Beach is beyond fantastic! I really, really enjoyed it, I'm still amazed how You came up with such a layout, great. Ghost Valley 2 was also a lot of fun. I had a blast navigating around and jumping over the holes, and without making it too difficult or frustrating, just keeping it at a fun-level. And Mario Circuit 4 had me laughing really loud. At first I was surprised that I sometimes was unable to perform the second jump and landed on the grass, but after I realised that the AI controlled drivers also do not manage the jump from time to time, it was great. In the original Mario Kart I found it often frustrating how the AI “cheated”: just jumping out of lava or over your carefully placed obstacles, Luigi and Mario using 67623986498126475412 stars while chasing You and so on. So Your MC4 gave it a “democratic” feel that was long overdue!
I'm pretty excited to try out the Special Cup once I am able to unlock it and I really need to find someone to check out the new battle courses.
OK I'm off writing a review for this! ;)

EDIT:
OK, so I just finished the Special Cup, and as expected it was a lot of fun! The new Rainbow Road is definitely more difficult than the original, but still fun. And it was Deja Vu all over again, for me the most difficult track in the original was the first track of the Special Cup and in this hack it is too. It was a real battle to even get through to qualify for the next track, but when I got through I somehow managed to get first place. Just like when I played the original many years ago!
So again, thanks for this great hack. You just gained a fan! ;)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 08:28:59 am by Hamlet »

elricorico

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 11:00:03 am »
So again, thanks for this great hack. You just gained a fan! ;)

Awesome, I can't ask for much more than that.  Koopa Beach 1 took probably twice as much time to get made than any other track, and probably had 3 times as many bugs to fix once it was made.  There was a brief period where I considered scrapping the idea, but once it started coming together I couldn't let it go.  I am not aware of anyone else who has managed anything quite like that track with this game.

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 01:29:50 am »
The Akumajo Densetsu PAL fix patch is still doing the scroll at a pretty bad timing.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 03:57:03 pm »
When you only get a counter with a resulution of 113+2/3 cycles when a scan-line actually takes 106+9/16 cycles, this is what you get... don't blame me I just hacked the values written to the scan-line counter. It would require insane hacking of IRQs to get the exact same timing as in NTSC mode.

kando

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 12:31:20 am »
2 mario kart hacks in 1 day, pretty nice :D

ive skimmed both of them, both great work! :D

i cant wait to try that koopa beach ive heard so much about @ elricorico ^_^

Guyver

• =<O_O>=
    • View Profile
    • Chief-Net.ru
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 08:25:41 am »
Spooky Kitaro 2 Password Fix - "0" and "O"  identical, their easy mix up... This has fix or no?
I not the wizard, I only study...

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 03:43:49 am »
Oh yeah, forgot about the 113 cycle restriction of Konami IRQs.  Pretty damn good job for that restriction.

Nintendulator says the 2005 write happens on pixel 202-220 of scanline #46.  Just need a 58 cycle delay and the problem will be gone for the main type of scrolling area.  But if the game uses the same code for every kind of screen mode (vertical scrolling, horizontal scrolling, horizontal scrolling with mist effect), then you can't easily get a 58 cycle delay in there.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

Burzy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 11:08:59 pm »
For some reason, I thought that the FFVI All Stars hack was the one that had characters from various FF games... :/

It is. 

I'm about to climb the final dungeon now and I won't give anything in particular away, but there are numerous characters from other final fantasy games (and many enemies from other franchises).  I really appreciate all the love and tribute that went into this patch It really made playing the game through again so much more enjoyable.
Video I made for a game I love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdX7apGn0xM