News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Pokemon Thunder Yellow  (Read 82952 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Pokemon Thunder Yellow
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:27:21 am »

Update By: theuser

TheUser is pleased to announce the completion of a new improvement project: Pokemon Thunder Yellow. This is based on Pokemon Yellow for GB. The game has been modified primarily so it's not such a hassle to beat the game anymore.  The text has been modified to change some story elements slightly to correspond with the complete overhaul of the rest of the game.  There have been many significant changes to monster locations. Once and for all, you can do everything in the game without link cables, rigged up emulator multiplayer, or value modification.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://code.google.com/p/romhack-various/downloads/list)

gukid

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Pokemon Thunder Yellow
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 02:50:10 pm »
Very cool hack!  I always thought something like this would be good for the Battle Network games.  Put back the content that Capcom removed and make it accessable without having to link to the Boktai games.  I'll definitely be trying this out.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 07:46:52 pm »
Very cool hack!  I always thought something like this would be good for the Battle Network games.  Put back the content that Capcom removed and make it accessable without having to link to the Boktai games.  I'll definitely be trying this out.

That and their ugly monospace dialog. Really overlooked games for an improvement project.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 06:35:42 am »
Great hack idea, would be great to see more Pokémon games receiving this "unhasslement" to make gameplay more fluid and independent without the
aid of cheating or other people (trade evos becoming level evos and the game not having exclusives, containing all Pokémons instead).
Keep up the good work, I'd like to see more of this.

Sawakita

• VBlank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 08:28:15 am »
I agree with redsoul, i think you've done a really good job, but i have a question (i hope i'm not OT): when i try to open .exe file my antivirus finds a virus (Trojan), and I obviously deny access to file. Isn't there an .ips file to patch the original rom, or can you please upload a "virus-free" .exe file?

thanks in advance
I support GB hacking

SegNin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 02:38:36 pm »
There is no malware. It's a false positive.

If you have Avira anti-virus, the problem should be fixed within the next updates of your virus definition file.

Here's the results from Avira after I submitted this patch to them for testing:

"The file 'Pokemon Thunder Yellow Patch.exe' has been determined to be 'FALSE POSITIVE'. In particular this means that this file is not malicious but a false alarm. Detection is removed from our virus definition file (VDF) with the version: 7.10.8.150."

You can submit any suspicious file or file you suspect is a false positive to Avira through this page:
http://analysis.avira.com/samples/index.php

Sawakita

• VBlank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 03:49:47 pm »
ok thank you for the reply. Anyway, i'm experiencing a problem: when i try to patch the rom, the programs say "[ERROR] Cannot find file to patch.", even though i give it the right address. Any hint?
I support GB hacking

SegNin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 09:21:11 am »
You have to click Browse, then set the path where the file is, by selecting it.

Sawakita

• VBlank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 11:04:13 am »
even though i give it the right address
You have to click Browse, then set the path where the file is, by selecting it.

Obviously I selected the path, but the program still says "ERROR"..
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 11:11:01 am by Sawakita »
I support GB hacking

Tauwasser

• Fantabulous!!
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 02:57:46 pm »
Path probably needs to have no spaces and no ANSI or Unicode symbols in it.

cYa,

Tauwasser

Sawakita

• VBlank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 04:11:25 am »
Path probably needs to have no spaces and no ANSI or Unicode symbols in it.

cYa,

Tauwasser

Unfortunately the problem doesn't seem to be that. I tried to put the files in "C:\Yellow" to make everything simpler, but it didn't work. I wonder if it is possible the uploader to upload an .ips file instead of "Pokemon Thunder Yellow Patch.exe", that has obviously some internal error; I'm curious to know if there's anyone that experienced my same problem...

EDIT:
The program is only able to patch .zip and .rar files, but not the extracted .gb one. Anyway it's impossible to extract the file, because after patching the archive is damaged (zip) or corrupted (rar). The mystery tangles...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 04:27:57 am by Sawakita »
I support GB hacking

SegNin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 05:37:08 pm »
Since you're having so much trouble, I made an ips file for you:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wknhrmmmnfi

I suspect you may have a bad dump or something though.

My rom is a GoodTools-verified good dump with a CRC value of 7D527D62 & a SHA-1 value of cc7d0326 2ebfaf2f 06772c1a 480c7d9d 5f4a38e1

Btw, you're not supposed to use the program on a zip or rar file, only on the extracted rom file (.gbc).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 05:46:49 pm by SegNin »

Sawakita

• VBlank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 04:23:10 am »
Since you're having so much trouble, I made an ips file for you:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wknhrmmmnfi

Thank you for your help!

Btw, you're not supposed to use the program on a zip or rar file, only on the extracted rom file (.gbc).

Yes, I know it, but since the patching wasn't going right I tried some unlikely solutions..

Thanks again, see ya
I support GB hacking

theuser

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 06:25:40 pm »
Wow.  I had forgotten all about this.  I made some improvements, but it got away from me.  I've got a new sprite set i'm trying to put in, but I'm having some trouble getting it done.  I also want to replace the opening music and the super gameboy border, but again, having trouble getting it done.  Anyone want to lend a hand?

TheBigT2000

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 10:28:18 am »
This would be so much easier to use if it was just a simple .ips patch.

powi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 06:05:25 pm »
Why don’t you just give an ips file instead of a .exe.
Or… Maybe you can give the source code or something I can use on GNU/Linux.
Cause this stuff cannot be runned on GNU/Linux. And I’m using GNU/Linux.
I Can’t test your hack, unfortunately.

I find it ironic, because Hacking come from Unix and more on GNU and BSD systems, and Roms Hack are common on Windoze. Too bad  :(.

Sadgasm

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 07:13:32 am »
What are these dialog changes? Are these only the changes for making it possible to catch all Pokemon or are there some others?

Can I apply this to a German Pokemon Rom or do I have to use it with a English one?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 07:18:57 am by Sadgasm »

theuser

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 01:08:14 pm »
Sorry for the frustration.  Uploading a new revision now with IPS patch included.

When I made the decision to have the patch as a standalone executable, I was trying to appeal to a less affluent audience so nobody would be excluded, but it was a bad choice.  As a workaround, I'm simply including the Lunar patcher in the archive.  It's not difficult to figure out.

In theory, it should work to patch this over a version in a different language, but if it works it will change the language to English.  Sorry about that.  It's my only spoken language.  If anyone would like to take a stab at translating, I would encourage it.

The text changes are intended to reflect changes to monster locations, the added sidequest features, and in some cases just to increase immersion and ease gameplay in some areas.  For instance, one option for the hero's name is Thunder and the rival Yellow to reflect the established convention.

I've fixed a few errors in the text since the last release and added a few other tweaks.  Here are the v1.1 patch notes.  This time around, I've actually documented everything the patch does in case you're curious.  Download is updated now.

Objectives:
Modify Pokémon Yellow to include all monsters obtainable without trading.
Subtle gameplay improvements to enhance player experience faithful to the original story.

Features:
Title screen update.
Player/rival name improvement.
Route 4 improved, can backtrack to Mt. Moon.
Splash move slightly improved, mimics struggle.
TM 33 Modified to Surf for minigame access.
Flash HM improvement, causes confusion.
All 151 monsters natively obtainable.
- Wild locations modified and improved.
- Game Corner prizes balanced and improved.
- NPC trades modified for trade evolutions.
- Forest fire area added for fire monsters.
- Mew glitch modified to Gate and Key sidequest.

Notes:
Flash works same outside of battle.
Evolution and move learning unmodified.
TM33 removed from Celadon shop for balance.
Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam still learns Reflect.

Wishlist:
Change intro music to something less obnoxious.
Change SGB border to something less distracting.
Change sprites of some monsters back to better GRB versions.

September 15, 2014, 02:08:18 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Just submitted update v1.1.1, some minor changes to a number of attacks for balancing.  I also added some resources to the archive for my 3 remaining wishlist items.

For the sprites, I'd like to revert 1/2 of all monsters, exactly 75, to the artstyle from previous versions.  Some of the sprites are actually custom taking and compiling features from the sprite set for a given monster across multiple iterations.

For the music, I've had some success adding music at the given pointers,  but I'm having the hardest time finding the offset for the intro music.  Without the offset, the music stores in the wrong place and overwrites other memory values.  Probably also need to trim the file, I'm not sure how intelligent this music importing tool is.  Might be more sound to modify the content manually, but I don't know much about famitracker formatting.

No progress so far on the SGB border.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 02:08:18 pm by theuser »

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 11:05:34 am »
The download link is messed up on the RHDN Project Page. :/

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 01:38:38 pm »
The download link is messed up on the RHDN Project Page. :/
I can confirm this.
The link doesn't work for me neither, gives me a corrupted .rar file.