News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI Advance Sound Restoration v1.1  (Read 10302 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI Advance Sound Restoration v1.1
« on: March 15, 2011, 07:12:48 am »

Update By: Bregalad

My revision of Final Fantasy VI sound restoration is finally released. It fixes all the major synchronization issues there was with the original with the intro, opera and ending (the opera was completely redone) !

I also did a few fixes here and there in various songs. Enjoy !

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/657/)

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI Advance Sound Restoration v1.1
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 04:02:49 pm »
*** IMPORTANT NOTE ***

For all those who downloaded the patch before the time of this post, please re-download the updated version. I had two problems that I figured out only after submitting the patch to RHDN. (problem 1 was that I slowed down opening 3 by error because the intro was lagging on VBA, but it's not lagging on real hardware so I restored it to its normal speed. Problem 2 was that a voice was missing on the "strong boss" battle theme because I modified the instrument by error and didn't notice it).

The version 1.1a fixes both problems and should be the last definitive version of the patch.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 04:04:29 pm »
Ah yeah, VBA's emulation "accuracy".

Good job on finishing this patch :beer:
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 04:51:02 pm »
Bregalad, you try it on VBA-M? It's got a much better sound core than stock VBA(blargg, sound emulation extraordinaire is behind it).
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 05:24:05 pm »
Oh thank you I didn't know about VBA-M ! Thank you for letting me know.
If blargg is behind it, then it has to be great.

EDIT : Nope, the intro is still slower than on real hardware. My guess the CPU usage is close to 100% but slightly less, and that an error in VBA's CPU core makes the code take more cycles to executes, therefore making the game lag and missing occasional frames, so that the music ends before the intro actually finishes.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:37:36 pm by Bregalad »

FoxStar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 07:16:17 am »
Oooh does this version include the English opera which I previously mentioned to you? Also did BestPractice help out at all? :D

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 03:29:29 pm »
It doesn't include the english version, read this thread to know why. Basically it was way too much different to be used exept the duel which was identical but I didn't want to mix versions. I used the walz from the english version.

And yes best practice helped a lot. This revision would not have been possible without it, and without you who pointed me to this program. Thanks a lot for showing me it !

EDIT : Somebody mailed me requesting for GSFs, but when I tried to answer him they said they couldn't deliver the mail so I'll post links to the GSF here, hopefully he will read that :
FF5 advance GSF
FF6 advance GSF
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 03:52:43 pm by Bregalad »

TimeSpaceMage

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 02:52:49 am »
Here's another video of the updated Opera scene for you all. Locke forgot to take his Ritalin again... but this time he remembered his fear of rats :thumbsup:
Did my best to keep it entertaining and under the time limit.

Watch here
Tinker: "You're going to go where no one has gone before!"
Hero: "We've actually been there before."
Tinker: "Oh. Well, you've never been shot out of a turret, with only a minimal chance of survival!"
Hero: "That's true."

Vague Rant

• Deceptively cute
    • View Profile
    • Vague Rant
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 11:47:41 am »
Ha, that was me emailing you, feel free to disregard my PM just now. Thank you very much for both of these.
I've got nothing to say, but it's OK.
Vague Rant