News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: TAO: The Way RPG  (Read 13240 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: TAO: The Way RPG
« on: March 28, 2011, 05:12:53 am »

Update By: snark

Exciting new translation from boojumsnark.com! A Sci-fi mystical RPG set in a post apocalyptic world, where a young man unravels a mystery regarding his origins and attempts to thwart an Nostradamus-tinged apocalypse that begins as a meteorite slams into his hometown. Find eight pieces of a trigram, 7 chakra statues and 7 amulets of the star lords in 7 mystic cities while fighting a cast of bizarre demons and gods!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://boojumsnark.com/tao.html)

golden

• View Profile
    • Mare Incognitum
Re: Translations: TAO: The Way RPG
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 06:25:54 am »
Every game that snark translates looks amazing. If I ever play a NES game again, it'll definitely be one of your translations :thumbsup:

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 08:23:34 am »
I've try to play it, but the texts doesn't make much sense. It looks as though they were translated by google translator or something. It becomes difficult to follow the plot that way.  :-\

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 10:27:08 am »
Every game that snark translates looks amazing. If I ever play a NES game again, it'll definitely be one of your translations :thumbsup:

Thanks golden!  You rock! :D

@aqualung! Welcome to the forum! Nope, no machine translation involved. whip out your dictionary! It has many words over three syllables and concepts from Shingon Buddhism and Nostradamus. The players sometimes may say only a few words such as "Triple Gems."  >:D  Is English your first language ?You said texts doesn't which should be "texts don't." <--- subject verb agreement
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 10:34:04 am by snark »
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 04:54:28 pm »
Whoooops! My english teacher would scold me badly if she saw such a mistake. Obviously not. English is not my first language, in fact i'm Spanish. Thanks for the correction, by the way ;)

As for the game...it's strange, really strange. A bizarre blend of rpg and graphic adventure. Maybe I got stuck in the game because the concepts that the plot deals with are so alien to me. At least here in Spain few people are into buddhism.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:55:49 pm by aqualung »

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 11:43:20 pm »
Whoooops! My english teacher would scold me badly if she saw such a mistake. Obviously not. English is not my first language, in fact i'm Spanish. Thanks for the correction, by the way ;)

As for the game...it's strange, really strange. A bizarre blend of rpg and graphic adventure. Maybe I got stuck in the game because the concepts that the plot deals with are so alien to me. At least here in Spain few people are into buddhism.

¡No problemo!  8)
It is most definitely a bizarre game, and it gets inexplicably weirder as it progresses. I am updating the walk-through within the week with a glossary for the uncommon Shingon Buddhist terms and customs, as well as the Nostradamus terms. Enjoy!  :D
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

apl

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 11:18:56 am »
Issues: Using the Oath Beads in battle seems to crash the game (in Nestopia, haven't tried any other emulators.)  Also, the Current Status list seems to be spaced strangely - Skill and Power are on the first screen, the Psychic P. will scroll past when you press A, leaving Stamina and Coin on the next page with a big space between the two.  It makes checking certain things a bit difficult (FCEU and Nestopia.)

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 02:32:26 pm »
Thanks for your update.

It appears that someone has reported to me that this was an issue in the original Japanese emulation.

What Kukai's Oath Beads function is to paralyze enemies, so it is not essential in the completion of the game.

The error apparently resets the game back to the title screen.

Thanks for letting me know about the stats, an updated patch is forthcoming.

Gil Galad

• View Profile
    • Homepage of Gil Galad
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 03:37:19 am »
This place is selling a cartridge of this game. He's been selling a lot of different translations for awhile now.

[link removed]

Just letting you know. Some people don't like it very much because he also uses donor parts from already existing cartridges, among other reasons.

By request from Snark; I've removed the link out this thread.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 04:34:42 pm by Gil Galad »
Homepage of Gil Galad || New Forum

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. ”

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 12:00:11 pm »
Will nobody shed a tear for the poor donor turned into a LOT LOT repro? :'(
That is the most BORING Famicom game I can remember playing (as opposed to games that are crappy in other ways).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 04:15:19 pm »
Like this one GG?

Edited.  :o
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 04:31:49 pm by snark »

Gil Galad

• View Profile
    • Homepage of Gil Galad
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 04:31:58 pm »
Yes, that's one of the games I worked on. "The NES Dump" has been making cartridges of a lot of people's work here. But I ain't trying to derail the thread. I was saying that this guy is selling TAO: The Way RPG as a cartridge.

Homepage of Gil Galad || New Forum

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. ”

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 04:37:35 pm »
If this trend continues, then no más traducciones.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 04:58:03 pm »
Just send him an email and he'll take down your work.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 06:24:59 pm by Pennywise »

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 09:15:33 pm »
Meaning no disrespect, but the font is kind of weird. Some of the characters appear to be italic, while some are not? It's kind of distracting.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 09:46:18 pm »
If this trend continues, then no más traducciones.

That would just punish the rest of the folks who play these honestly...
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 12:47:27 am »
Meaning no disrespect, but the font is kind of weird. Some of the characters appear to be italic, while some are not? It's kind of distracting.

I wasn't gonna say anything, but this.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 08:21:43 pm »
@I.S.T  ;) I didn't say that included any of the games of my very own I am currently developing. We shall see! :)

@ King M Lot lot? The Horror!

@Ryusui and GZ Font? You two again?   ::) Heh, maybe I could change it, but the aesthetics of cookie cutter font is lost on someone with admittedly detestable hand-writing. ;) I'll see what I can do. What sort of italic fonts would either of you recommend?

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 10:14:31 pm »
I didn't say anything about cookie-cutter! I'm all for font variety, I just expect each *individual* font to conform somewhat :)

Anyway, I'm going to totally jump the shark here and upload my ENTIRE rather sizable collection of fonts to the AGTP webserver. I'd submit 'em here but it'd probably take forever (there's 90 of them) and I have to be up for work in ten hours. Most of the bmps are from commercial games, likely ripped by FEIDIAN when D was actively developing it. (I take no credit for these.) Others are from toma's old font packs. In fact, the font I'm going to recommend to you was originally his. (What's the server policy on font submissions from commercial games, btw?) The bmps can be very easily imported into ROM images using any tile editor worth its salt. My favorite is YY-CHR, though TLP certainly has its uses.

Try this one:
http://agtp.romhack.net/fonts/SomeCrazyWackedOutFontBrotha_8x8.bmp

Alternatively,
http://agtp.romhack.net/fonts/Semitalix.bmp
... though as its name implies, it's only somewhat italic.

If those don't tickle your fancy, check out 8x8.nes. It contains a bunch more fonts from other games, including several rather nice italic fonts. Actually, important note about that - fontdb.smc and 8x8.nes are just binary images that contain fonts in various bitplanes. They contain no actual game code or anything like that, and really are just named such for convenience's sake. Drop 'em into your favorite tile editor to view/edit.

The rest of 'em can be found in the font directory, in handy Index Of alphabetization:
http://agtp.romhack.net/fonts/

Edit: For whatever it's worth, I actually never design my own fonts. If you see a font in a game I've worked on, it likely either came from something in this directory, or was built into the game already.

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 02:35:17 am »
I am going to insist that you don't use Semitalix, that is unless you want your translation to look like every single game that Kitsune Sniper has ever worked on