News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Romance of the Forgotten Kindom: First fully playable fan translation of a Korean RPG  (Read 6176 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: derboo

After one and-a-half years, the fan translation for the Korean DOS RPG Mangguk Jeon'gi (망국전기), or Romance of the Forgotten Kingdom, is finally released. This is the first ever fully playable fan translation of a Korean game!

The current version 0.9 is not 100% complete because of some hacking issues, but the whole story with both optional paths is fully playable in English.

While it is hard to find information on the game in English, a google search for the original Korean title (망국전기) should bring up some useful results.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2011/11/romance-of-forgotten-kingdom-english.html)

ze10

• View Profile
RHDN Project Page link is broken...

Lilinda

• View Profile
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
How is it broken? I can access it just fine.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
And there's more?  Good grief.  Will try to find time to check this out, too!
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Klaviaturist

• View Profile
    • Midnight Sunrise Band
Man, took me a while to find the actual dos game. But getting the translation to work was nothing. Nice to see another rpg translated though. Thanks!
Just a guy that likes horror flicks.

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
Took me about 30 seconds to find it... did you do a google search for the korean name of the game?

Anyway, I guess I know what derboo has been working on all this time now.  No wonder he was having trouble helping me out with Magna Carta too.

derboo

• View Profile
    • derboo's Translation Page
About the project page link... somehow the "www.romhacking.net/" got doubled, some browsers seem to fix that by default, but with others you just have to delete the doubled part. Is there a way to edit the news post?

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
The url is fine in the news entry. Not sure why it displays as doubled up on the site though, seems like a site bug to me.

Please drop a note to http://www.romhacking.net/contact/ so it'll get looked at by Nightcrawler.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

derboo

• View Profile
Maybe the http:// is missing in the entry? I get that all the time since stupid Firefox doesn't display it anymore.

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
Does anyone know the sound settings to use for DOSBox? I've tried configuring the game with 220h, DMA 1 and IRQ 5 and it starts off okay, but then crashes shortly after playing the music

derboo

• View Profile
Try IRQ 7

EDIT: Here's an installation guide for the game itself:

1. Take the game install files and extract them to a folder that you mount it in DOSBox (can be a subfolder).

2. Switch to the folder in DOSBox and type INSTALL.

3. First the setup asks for the source folder, this should be correct by default, so just press enter.

4. The game automatically installs to C:\Mirinae\RPG\ (in the DOSBox file system). After installing, you can move the folder wherever you want.

5. During the install process, the game asks you several times to insert the next floppy. Since you're likely using the CD-ROM release, just press enter and it goes on.

6. Next up is sound configuration. Chose the first menu point, then the second (the one with the "100%" in the text).

7. The second through fourth menu points are the usual Sound Blaster setting. Set the adress to 220, IRQ to 7 and DMA to 1, then go back with the bottom choice.

8. Chose the second point, then once again the line with the "100%".

9. The third menu point saves the settings and quits.

10. Quit DOSBox and run the Romance_of_the_Forgotten_Kingdom_English_v09.exe

11. Just browse for the folder the game is installed in and click "Install".

12. Start DOSBox, go to the game directory and type PLAY.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:52:43 am by derboo »

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Maybe the http:// is missing in the entry? I get that all the time since stupid Firefox doesn't display it anymore.

We have a winner! *clap clap*

Fixed.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
Thanks for the instructions :thumbsup: I was so close too :P

RetroProf

• View Profile
Ahh, crap. Apologies, I didn't check the front page and, stupidly not realising there was already a news entry, submitted one myself Apologies, just delete that. In future I shall check more carefully.  :-[