News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: See Where "The Glory of Heracles" Series Got it's Start  (Read 9174 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: DvD

Happy Christmas!

Finally, the first game in The Glory of Heracles series The Glory of Heracles - Labors of the Divine Hero can be played in English.  And not only that, but we've released the entire manual in English too!  Come see how we polished up this really old school RPG game and did our best to keep it challenging, but give you the clues you need to at least make it possible to pass it without a walkthrough.

This is the first new game we've released that requires our newly released ROM Expander Pro program to expand the ROM.  It's an open source program we made that implements a generic way of expanding ROMs.  By use of a simple text file provided by the translation group, it allows copying and moving ROM data of the orginal ROM.  Just include this file with your IPS patch.

And for those who prefer something a little different.  We've also quietly released the puzzle game  Puzzle Boys, our first FDS game in November.  It's Atlus's only FDS game, and the sequel to the Gameboy game Kwirk, the first game Atlus produced on their own.  The two player game is really fun.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://dvdtranslations.eludevisibility.org/glory_of_heracles.html)

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
Re: Translations: See Where "The Glory of Heracles" Series Got it's Start
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 10:42:37 pm »
Woohoo great job! Glad to see this series get some more love!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

It could be nitpicking but in my opinion it helps reading if the symbols are before the description of the item. e.g. (sword)copper. Looks great though. Hopefully someone does a graphics improvement hack too because some of it is quote awful!

heratio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 04:03:53 am »
One can really see the parallels between Dragon Quest 1 and 2 versus Glory of Heracles 1 and 2.  The second games of both series made very similar jumps with party systems and more elaborate worlds.  If this is not too long of a game, I will try to finish it.  Now we just need Glory of Heracles 4.  :thumbsup:

Validus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 11:15:41 am »
a glorious translation thank you. I've been waiting since 2009 for this!

arromdee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 03:12:32 pm »
One comment: I tried this on a No-Intro ROM.  The ROM expander gave a checksum error.  If I used a different version of the ROM it didn't give the checksum error.  Which version of the ROM is valid?  Or were there several revisions of the game?

Validus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 09:58:45 pm »
worked fine for me, it has to  be named specifically that may be your problem??

no revisions known

On a more positive note. after beating the first boss. I already like this one better than part 2. The boss animations alone stomp DQ1 graphics when it came to monster sprites. Too bad there are no DQ1 like backgrounds to add a little flavor to combat. Luckily combat is quick and your back on a robustly colored landscape. I have not played Heracles 2 since 2005 but this one feels much more Greek/Roman? than the sequel. I think Im going to play this one all the way through till new years.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 05:13:36 am by Validus »

Brick

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 05:30:14 am »
A very nices christmas present! Thank you and great work!

Fredde

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 09:17:04 am »
Just a little question: The readme says that the password system "does not save EVERYTHING", and that this can be used to get through the game easier. What exactly is and isn't saved when using the password? Is it possible to play through the game using savestates instead?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 11:54:41 am »
The boss animations alone stomp DQ1 graphics when it came to monster sprites. Too bad there are no DQ1 like backgrounds to add a little flavor to combat.
There were some screenshots from a Japanese magazine going around showing the game at one point in development, the game was a more obvious DQ1 ripoff, including backgrounds and pop-up windows. It also looks like towns were separate maps.
It can only be guessed maybe it was changed because they got afraid of being sued?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Validus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 12:27:18 pm »
There were some screenshots from a Japanese magazine going around showing the game at one point in development, the game was a more obvious DQ1 ripoff, including backgrounds and pop-up windows. It also looks like towns were separate maps.
It can only be guessed maybe it was changed because they got afraid of being sued?

its 2012

password features are dead

arromdee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 01:37:09 pm »
worked fine for me, it has to  be named specifically that may be your problem??

I had to rename it as well.  It gave a different error if I didn't rename it and it couldn't find the file.

Also, I compared the No-Intro ROM and the other version I downloaded.  They are not the same, so checksum errors on the No-Intro one are expected.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 02:09:12 pm »
Apparently, there are two slightly different carts released for the game in '87 and '88 respectively. That might explain the differences.

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
Re: Translations: See Where \"The Glory of Heracles\" Series Got it\'s Start
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 04:43:14 pm »
I would not call this game short.  I would say it is close to DQ2 in size.

It could be nitpicking but in my opinion it helps reading if the symbols are before the description of the item. e.g. (sword)copper. Looks great though. Hopefully someone does a graphics improvement hack too because some of it is quote awful!

The overworld is indeed ugly.  It does get better when you make it to Heavenly Realm.

I didn't want to improve any graphics myself because I think that is some of what makes the game series what it is.  Compare it to the Dragon Quest graphics improvement before it came out in the US.  Because of this, when people compare DW1 to DW2 you can't see what a vast improvement the graphics were between DQ1 and 2.  So, DW2 probably wasn't received as fondly in the US as DQ2 was in Japan.  Just a thought.  Plus the overworld/town graphics for this game used to be nicer when it looked like Dragon Quest but they made them uglier (especially with something easily fixed like colors).

I always put the icon where it would be as a substitute for a word.  I didn't feel strongly about it, and no one else pointed this out so I never really though about it!  :)

Oh, and I had forgotten to thank you for your GoH3 files in the ReadMe, you are in there now.

One comment: I tried this on a No-Intro ROM.  The ROM expander gave a checksum error.  If I used a different version of the ROM it didn't give the checksum error.  Which version of the ROM is valid?  Or were there several revisions of the game?

I was VERY interested in this issue.  I was not aware of different ROMs, just different packaging.
I found the No-Intro ROM and did a compare with TDP and it produced the following:

-------------------------------------------------------------
Differences between
File 1: Herakles no Eikou (GoodTools).nes
and
File 2: Heracles no Eikou (No-Intro ).nes
Starting at byte 0

Address       File1         File2
=============================================================
1C578:        8D            99
1C579:        40            6C
1C57A:        80            C5

lbl_c565: sta $94      ; A = vbl_94
    C567: tay          ; Y = A
    C568: sta $8040    ; UNROM_8000 = A
vs.
    C568: sta $c56c,y  ; Table tbl_c5c6[Y] = A
=============================================================
lbl_c8b9:   rti ; Return From Interrupt

2000E:        2A            B9
2000F:        26            C8

IRQ Vector: lbl_262a (middle of nowhere)
vs.
IRQ Vector: lbl_c8b9
-------------------------------------------------------------
Done: 5 differences

It is clear to me that BOTH versions of the ROM are valid.  They simply represent the different UxROM mapper chips used in the '87 and '88 releases of the ROM.  I don't know which is which.  But the patch will work with both versions.  I have updated the patch on my site and submitted a new one here accordingly.  The only thing changed was the ReadMe.  If you use the expander with the 2nd ROM it will give you an error, but it will say what the MD5 is and if it matches the one in the readme, you know you just have the other version of the ROM.

I also note in the ReadMe the hint that you should NEVER have a full inventory when you talk to people.  They may not give you what you need if you do and you will be stuck and not know why!

Just a little question: The read me says that the password system "does not save EVERYTHING", and that this can be used to get through the game easier. What exactly is and isn't saved when using the password? Is it possible to play through the game using savestates instead?

Well, try using a password and you'll see.  Otherwise...

WARNING: Don't read this if you want to figure it out on your own:

Like the DQ1 password, it doesn't save which treasures you picked up, so for instance, you can throw them away and get them again.  This is important since your inventory is so friggen small.  So, at times you will need to get new things but can't hold them.  Throw away (sell) something you don't need now and re-get it when you need it.  This includes boss item drops since bosses come back too.

Here's the bigger spoiler, again, don't read it if you don't want to cheat:

There is a point in the game where the same story item needs to be used in two places.  The easiest way to do this is to get a password and re-get the item...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:08:21 pm by DvD »