News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Crystal Beans from Dungeon Explorer English Translation Released  (Read 10907 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Pennywise

After having released a French translation for Crystal Beans quite some time ago, Hiei- and Neige are back at it again, but with an English translation this time. Crystal Beans is a simplistic and almost shooter-like action-RPG for the SNES and is relatively short and easy to beat. It's a port of Dungeon Explorer 2 for the TurboCD and is more or less a part of the Dungeon Explorer series. Enjoy!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,13519.0.html)

Validus

• View Profile
been waiting years for this one.

Now all we need is Xak for the SNES. Its a tougher version than Xak I & II for the PC Engine, though its only the story of part one.

Xak I & II are short versions of both games.

Snatcher

• Vereor Nox
    • View Profile
Cool Beans! :thumbsup:
"This is a work of fiction. If you find any relation to real people, events, or locations, then you are obviously on crack."
-Kishimoto Masashi

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
Kinda weird finally seeing a post for something I beat a couple days back, but yeah, a very fun, very quick(for the genre) game.

This will disappoint you, if you're looking for a challenge, by the way. You start with 5 continues every time you start the game, and enough white potions pretty much ensures you won't lose.

Oh, and yes, the title actually does make sense in context of the story.

Coconuts 500

• View Profile
I registered here just so that I could personally thank everyone involved in this project! This is something that I have been dreaming about for years. Sure, the game is perfectly playable in Japanese, but obviously it's always more enjoyable to play a game, when you are able to understand the - in this case, as it turns out - quite lousy story.

Thanks again for this!

And I disagree about the challenge thing. It is, at least to me, pretty difficult on single player. At least the bosses. This game was designed for multi player and gets considerably easier then. Every character in the game refers to you as "heroes", even if you are alone. Get a friend or two, and have a blast with this gem.  :)

By the way, if you're looking for a challenge, as well as a game just like this, I recommend Dungeon Explorer for Mega-CD. Considerably harder than this. Very, very difficult - and has five player support instead of just three. It also has money for buying new equipment (fun). In addition, you can level up in it, which is a shame, because the game relies heavily (oh, how heavily) on grinding, which makes it less enjoyable than Crystal Beans.

And if you're just dying to play a game that can (only) be described as "brown", I will recommend the two Dungeon Explorer games for PC Engine. For a system that could produce so many colors, you'll be surprised by how these games look.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 05:35:35 am by Coconuts 500 »

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
I didn't game over, and I know I'm not the most skilled gamer, so I figure that should qualify as "easy." I might have gotten a game over if I'd continuously played it, but I played it a little here, a little there, until I beat it, at the end of the same day I started it. So the Sega CD was the turn toward what became of this(or last?) generations handheld Dungeon Exlorers then?

Coconuts 500

• View Profile
Actually, I kinda suck at video games, or I am a "sloppy" player.  ;)

Actually the Mega-CD game was not even developed by Hudson, so it is quite different from the other games in the series. I think Crystal Beans came out after that.

Either way, the modern games are not really related to this old series. So, so different.  :beer:

gharz

• View Profile
um....i seem to have a problem.
since the lunar ips patching program doesn't work with this, the readme tell to use an UPS and provide a link.

but the link doesn't work!

what do i do now?

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
um....i seem to have a problem.
since the lunar ips patching program doesn't work with this, the readme tell to use an UPS and provide a link.

but the link doesn't work!

what do i do now?
You have to use a UPS patcher such as this one: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/519/
It's mentioned in the readme text file that came along with the patch.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
I went with upset: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/677/

According to the description, it's pretty much the evolution of Tsukuyomi.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
The game is easy in that you can die over and over again, get game over and still pretty much continue where you left off. I was able to beat the game without using cheats which is incredibly rare for me. Yeah, the story isn't that great, but I felt it had a few nice touches here and there. There's a few character specific text that's interesting like Jack and the Vampire.

There also appears to be some unused text as well. For example, the evil god invites you to his castle, but I was not able to trigger it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:14:38 pm by Pennywise »

gharz

• View Profile
I went with upset: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/677/

According to the description, it's pretty much the evolution of Tsukuyomi.

hey! thanks for everything!
I'll go with your suggestion because it seems to be the easiest to use

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
While testing out your translation, I've noticed a few minor omissions:

Image #1 - Missing comma before "Heroes"
Image #2 - Missing apostrophe, should be "moment's notice"
Image #3 - The name is romanized as "Daemonth" elsewhere

Edit: Got a few more.

Image #4 - Unnecessary space before the first exclamation mark
Image #5 - Should be "resurrected"
Image #6 - Should be "identification"
Image #7 - Ellipsis cut off by the cursor
Image #8 - Missing last dot of the ellipsis
Image #9 - Should be "should've" instead of "should of"
Image #10 - Should be "particularly"; nitpick: was the British spelling of "flavour" intended?

Edit: Here's another batch.

Image #11 - More of a nitpick, but it sounds like comparing people to disasters.
Image #12 - Missing punctuation after "What"
Image #13 - Multiple issues: "fortress" is cut off, another instance of "Demons" instead of "Daemonth", and a missing "s" in "on the orders of"
Image #14 - Multiple issues: the location is called "Marin Port" everywhere else; there should be "ended up" instead of "ended by"; nitpick: the second "I" can be ellided
Image #15 and Image #16 - The location is called "Thousand Spires" everywhere else
Image #17 - Nitpick: Though it's acceptable in informal speech, "was" should technically be "were"
Image #18 - The comma should be after "lord"
Image #19 - Should be "was weakened"
Image #20 - Should be "resurrected"

EDIT: Here's the last of them.

Image #21 - Only "Why" should be quoted or you could drop the quotation marks and insert a comma
Image #22 - Since the reference is to the preceding sentence, "that" should be used instead of "it" for clarity
Image #23 - Nitpick: "Gem Piece" sounds more natural
Image #24 - Should be "treasures", since there are more than one
Image #25 - Since you're talking about the voice and not the goddess herself, "itself" would be more fitting
Image #26 - Both clauses should be joined because the sentence fragment cannot stand on its own

And that's all of the issues that caught my eye. This is not to say that the translation is bad. All in all, it's very well done and was fun to play through. I appreciate the effort put into getting it done. So sorry if I'm a bit nitpicky :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:53:14 pm by mziab »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Thanks for being thorough. Some of these I thought I caught, but it also looks like I was a sloppy with my grammar. I Sh'ant make that mistake again.

I dunno, savour the flavour. Thought it gave the Vampire a more eloquent/arrogant touch.

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
looks like I was a sloppy with my grammar.

Really, I thought you didn't make mistakes?   ;)

Congrats on finally getting this one out.  :thumbsup:

I always liked the name of this game...

CharlieF

When will the update be submitted?

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
Great job! I've always wanted to check this game out!

Hiei-

• View Profile
While testing out your translation, I've noticed a few minor omissions:

Image #1 - Missing comma before "Heroes"
Image #2 - Missing apostrophe, should be "moment's notice"
Image #3 - The name is romanized as "Daemonth" elsewhere

Edit: Got a few more.

Image #4 - Unnecessary space before the first exclamation mark
Image #5 - Should be "resurrected"
Image #6 - Should be "identification"
Image #7 - Ellipsis cut off by the cursor
Image #8 - Missing last dot of the ellipsis
Image #9 - Should be "should've" instead of "should of"
Image #10 - Should be "particularly"; nitpick: was the British spelling of "flavour" intended?

Edit: Here's another batch.

Image #11 - More of a nitpick, but it sounds like comparing people to disasters.
Image #12 - Missing punctuation after "What"
Image #13 - Multiple issues: "fortress" is cut off, another instance of "Demons" instead of "Daemonth", and a missing "s" in "on the orders of"
Image #14 - Multiple issues: the location is called "Marin Port" everywhere else; there should be "ended up" instead of "ended by"; nitpick: the second "I" can be ellided
Image #15 and Image #16 - The location is called "Thousand Spires" everywhere else
Image #17 - Nitpick: Though it's acceptable in informal speech, "was" should technically be "were"
Image #18 - The comma should be after "lord"
Image #19 - Should be "was weakened"
Image #20 - Should be "resurrected"

EDIT: Here's the last of them.

Image #21 - Only "Why" should be quoted or you could drop the quotation marks and insert a comma
Image #22 - Since the reference is to the preceding sentence, "that" should be used instead of "it" for clarity
Image #23 - Nitpick: "Gem Piece" sounds more natural
Image #24 - Should be "treasures", since there are more than one
Image #25 - Since you're talking about the voice and not the goddess herself, "itself" would be more fitting
Image #26 - Both clauses should be joined because the sentence fragment cannot stand on its own

And that's all of the issues that caught my eye. This is not to say that the translation is bad. All in all, it's very well done and was fun to play through. I appreciate the effort put into getting it done. So sorry if I'm a bit nitpicky :)

Oh, didn't see that, you should have posted in the other thread. I'll probably do an updated version but later, because I have to redo the hack for the foreign languages and also to update the english version (the old tools won't be used anymore).

Anyway, the patch is still playable, CharlieF.