News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database  (Read 6299 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« on: June 12, 2012, 05:54:58 am »
Update By: RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net's RHDNBot.

The following Hacks have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest):

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/)

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
Re: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 10:07:35 am »
I never realized that the Link's Awakening font was that bad. I played that game over twenty times, I love it to death... yet, I didn't notice the font was bad.

Yet, now I see that I actually like Oracle's font in Link's Awakening. Maybe it's because it makes the game look a bit more modern?

Now I wonder how Link's Awakening would look like with Oracle's tilesets... (and yeah, they ARE different!)
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 11:02:58 pm »
I know I'm mentioning it everywhere and probably being really annoying, but for some reason my edits aren't showing up as unread in my topic.

I wanted to let everyone know that the Phantasy Star II proper-caser has been updated and is now at v0.2! So as not to clutter up the boards, if you would like to discuss this you can do so in its thread in Personal Projects. :)
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Lin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 11:51:31 pm »
I never realized that the Link's Awakening font was that bad. I played that game over twenty times, I love it to death... yet, I didn't notice the font was bad.

Yet, now I see that I actually like Oracle's font in Link's Awakening. Maybe it's because it makes the game look a bit more modern?

Now I wonder how Link's Awakening would look like with Oracle's tilesets... (and yeah, they ARE different!)
Early on when I was working on ZOLE, one of the first things I did was make a few LA maps in Ages. Here's how it turned out: http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg31/scaled.php?server=31&filename=37642444.png&res=landing

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 10:14:04 am »
Hmm. Interesting. I was expecting it to look similar, but it only has a passing resemblance. It's interesting how two games with the same engine, with nearly identical graphics, can look this different.

Nuts, now I'm interested in seeing Oracles graphics completely ported over to Link's Awakening. I don't remember if LA's tile sets are compressed or not. I could do it myself with TLP...
Who will quote me next?

Lin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 03:13:20 pm »
Hmm. Interesting. I was expecting it to look similar, but it only has a passing resemblance. It's interesting how two games with the same engine, with nearly identical graphics, can look this different.

Nuts, now I'm interested in seeing Oracles graphics completely ported over to Link's Awakening. I don't remember if LA's tile sets are compressed or not. I could do it myself with TLP...
Oh, believe me, they don't have the same engine at all. On the inside, they're like two totally different games. LA's graphics are uncompressed, but they're very limited in the overworld. ZOLE has a tileset editor for Ages, which shows the tileset's original tiles if you wish to give it a try. I'd recommend changing the palettes as well, because they make a big difference.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 10:53:26 pm »
Oh, believe me, they don't have the same engine at all. On the inside, they're like two totally different games. LA's graphics are uncompressed, but they're very limited in the overworld. ZOLE has a tileset editor for Ages, which shows the tileset's original tiles if you wish to give it a try. I'd recommend changing the palettes as well, because they make a big difference.

Oh? They're different engines? That's interesting; I was always under the impression (from magazines, I suppose) that it was the same engine. Maybe I got it confused with Majora's Mask/Ocarina of Time? I don't know.

It is good to know that LA's graphics are uncompressed... although, what do you mean they're limited in the overworld?
Who will quote me next?

Lin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 01:14:43 am »
Oh? They're different engines? That's interesting; I was always under the impression (from magazines, I suppose) that it was the same engine. Maybe I got it confused with Majora's Mask/Ocarina of Time? I don't know.

It is good to know that LA's graphics are uncompressed... although, what do you mean they're limited in the overworld?
Yeah, there's a lot you can read on it. Very interesting.

I mean there aren't very many unique tiles in the overworld compared to the Oracles, although that really has nothing to do with what you accomplish... :P

Tzepish

• I like swords
    • View Profile
    • The Devil's Jockstrap
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 01:58:01 am »
My original intention was to just copy the Oracles font over, but they use different tile sizes than Link's Awakening does, so I just drew it by hand using the Oracles font as a guide, and changing what I had to for technical reasons.