News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: The Front Mission project continues with big updates  (Read 28607 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: KaioShin

The folks behind the Front Mission 5 patch are still working on making the rest of the franchise (not just the games!) available in English. They just released a patch for Front Mission 2 that translated about 70% of the game. The whole script has been translated and the remaining parts are awaiting insertion. In the meantime the team included a text version of the script so those who can't wait can read from it while playing the untranslated bits.

They also released a prototype patch for Front Mission Alternative.

Head over to their homepage for patches and news updates.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://frontmission.info)

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
Re: Translations: The Front Mission project continues with big updates
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 08:14:42 am »
Such absolutely fantastic news!  This is one of my favorite series ever.  And certainly the number one series I've historically lusted for in English.

I was there rooting F.H. on wayyyy back in 2001, and celebrated the day the original Front Mission patch was released.  Again, in 2004, I was there encouragingly pestering Gid in support of Gun Hazard's release, and when his team pulled through, that was a glorious glorious day.  I missed the next two days of work because of that.  And now I am giddy with excitement once again!  Filled with the hope of seeing Front Mission 2 finally become available to the English speaking west.  When this happens, this will be a truly stupendous achievement in the Romhacking history books, because finally all five mainline Front Mission games will be in English.  Talk about a red letter day indeed.  Perhaps most importantly of all, Front Mission 2 was for all intents and purposes the last Front Mission made nearly 100% by G-Craft.  This one is pre-watered down FM3 and FM4.  In that regard, the complexity is no doubt mouth watering.  And the infamous load times, well perhaps via emulation they won't be such an issue.

I wish the FMSTP team the best of luck.  They have my full encouragement and sincere gratitude.  :beer:

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 12:33:11 pm »
If I understand correctly, the re-released version of the game allows for skipping the battle animations and stuff.  Don't know if this patch works with that version, though.

Anyway, totally awesome!  I looked around and saw this yesterday, prompted by the discussion of Front Mission earlier.  I wish these guys the best, and hope they can get a 100% patch out eventually!
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 07:52:49 pm »
Is the font supposed to look that terrible?

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 10:27:18 pm »
This is excellent news! I always wanted to try this game.

I wish the team luck! :thumbsup:

m|m

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 04:42:31 am »
Is the font supposed to look that terrible?
They're using the font that was already in game. Easier this way, I guess. They did the same with FM5.

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 04:48:17 am »
They're using the font that was already in game. Easier this way, I guess. They did the same with FM5.

It does indeed look ugly, though. But look at the first line, the second half definitely is offset by a few pixels (seemingly caused by that "…"), so I guess the engine already has the capability of rendering with different widths. This could of course just be a simple system that e.g. only uses two hard-coded widths, but it shouldn't be that difficult to change I suppose.

Snatcher

• Vereor Nox
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 09:21:50 am »
I can't wait for this to be finished! Front Mission is also one of my favorite series. I'll have to start playing through FM 1st again so I'll be ready for this one.  :thumbsup:
"This is a work of fiction. If you find any relation to real people, events, or locations, then you are obviously on crack."
-Kishimoto Masashi

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 04:12:39 pm »
I'm guessing this is the point at which we discuss kerning, right?  It's not so much the font that's bad, it's the spacing.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 04:56:42 pm »
The font itself is still kind of icky, though.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Lucumo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 06:24:43 pm »
Another sexy project. I played Front Mission 1 and really liked it. So when they finish this, I will be able to continue with the franchise(can't play 3 before 2, right? :P). All the time and work they put into this is much appreciated.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 09:10:10 am »
Really guys?  ::)

I don't give a damn how the font / kerning looks, the fact that people are translating this hugely important game into English for free, on their own time, is enough for me.

This phrase comes to mind.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 07:42:50 pm »
The fonts for both 2 and Alternative look like shit and I am of the philosophy of that if a translation looks like crap, why bother do it at all unless sub-par hacking quality is desired. Granted the group probably lacks a coder capable of modifying the font routines, so they probably can't help it, but I would be seeking outside help to find such a person.

I'm not really bashing others work and I made some inquiries with my pal Esperknight and if the group wants a new font, all they have to do ask him and he shall provide. I would personally just mimic Front Mission 3 in regards how the font is handled.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:11:52 pm by Pennywise »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 11:10:00 pm »
Really guys?  ::)

I don't give a damn how the font / kerning looks, the fact that people are translating this hugely important game into English for free, on their own time, is enough for me.

This phrase comes to mind.
I wasn’t super jazzed with how FM5 ended up looking, either, and I actually worked on that one. So,
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 08:50:59 am »
I guess it goes like this:

The people who could have done this/worked on it think it could have been better.

The people who have been begging for it but couldn't/wouldn't work on it will take it on the grounds that they have been finally given a bone to chew on. That nice, juicy, golden bone that still tastes of nice, juicy, BBQ laced meat, the meat that was once on that bone. That golden bone. That nice, juicy bone.

...So. Yeah.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 10:00:13 am »
That font definitively looks ugly and should be replaced with something better, but there's also another factor to be taken into account: badly stretched screenshot. I'd suggest taking the next ones in their natural resolution, instead of stretching them with a weird aspect ratio while applying no bilinear interpolation. As for the font itself, I'm afraid the game has no support for a width table, meaning it's got to be implemented. Considering this is a SquareSoft game, it could be either easy pie (like Final Fantasy 7 International) or a living hell (Chrono Cross and Xenogears).
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 02:18:25 pm »
I am of the philosophy of that if a translation looks like crap, why bother do it at all unless sub-par hacking quality is desired.

I can deal with a "sub par font", as long as the actual translation is accurate, complete, and allows finishing of the game in English.  I guess I don't get excited over fan translations for their aesthetics.  The aesthetics are nice, but they are the icing on the OMFG IT'S IN ENGLISH cake.  And Front Mission 2 is a cake I'd eat even without the icing.

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 04:43:38 am »
I can deal with a "sub par font", as long as the actual translation is accurate, complete, and allows finishing of the game in English.  I guess I don't get excited over fan translations for their aesthetics.  The aesthetics are nice, but they are the icing on the OMFG IT'S IN ENGLISH cake.  And Front Mission 2 is a cake I'd eat even without the icing.

Hacking games yourself probably changes one's attitude towards stuff like that. I didn't mind non-proportional fonts, ugly abbreviations (the BoFs were a big offender) and the like until I started hacking myself; since then, I've always been opting for the best results, both in aesthetics and content. It's a bit more work, yes, but I think it pays off. Nobody here is belittling these guys' work, it's always an incredible feat to finish translating a huge game like this. But especially because a lot of hard work went into it I think it deserves to also be perfect or near-perfect in the technical area.

tl;dr: You can't deny that having a beautiful font wouldn't hurt, right? ;)

Alcahest

• Demon of Elru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 05:53:54 pm »
So did anyone actually try this FM2 patch?

I believe there's something wrong with it : audio is broken in FMVs.

Here I compiled my findings:
-----------------------
The source discs FM2 Greatest Hits and FM2 History are exactly identical with same matching MD5.
In other words, SLPM-87331 = SLPM-87397.
MD5 for both is : 41ACF140394BF0E0254294039607E260

First problem: the patch "FRONTMISSION_2HISTORY_PATCHFV1.ISO.imageDiff", let's call it "V1", fails to patch above mentionned ISO.

Error reported by the patcher is:
---------------------------
Error
Exception: Wrong opposite image. Expected MD5:4C6D1E918C4A4604B8B99619AB5DEFBE
OK

Second problem:
While the patch FRONTMISSION_2HISTORY_PATCHFV2.ISO.imageDiff", let's call it "V2", will apply and seemingly patch correctly:

Giving result iso MD5: 3FCADB7E213A675030A455A483489A67

-> The result iso has ALL AUDIO IN FMVs broken; ie: movies don't have sound.
(tested on real hardware and emulation of course).

So questions:

1. What ISO should be used to patch with "V1" ?
NONE of the FM2 isos have MD5: 4C6D1E918C4A4604B8B99619AB5DEFBE that V1 requires..

2. If anyone did manage to patch and has working audio in movies, what is the MD5 of your working ISO?

(You can check super easy if audio in movies is broken, when you first boot the game, don't touch any button and let the intro FMV play.)

I tried to contact the Team to sort this out but everyone seem to be AWOL.
Any input is welcome.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 02:46:24 am »
Does anyone have the translation for the FMVs? The youtube links provided in the translation document are dead and the document did not have a transcript.