- Translating into your own language is a fulfilling (if not always fun) personal exercise of your own rhetorical abilities, even if your grasp of the source language is lacking.
- Even if 90% of people who would know one language would know the other, it’d be worth doing it for the other 10%.
- A lot of these games are best played in one’s childhood, at which point the education system isn’t likely to have taught enough of the other language to make the games all that enjoyable (well, assuming the languages don’t have mutually intelligible parts to them).
- A lot of the subtleties and hard details of language (such as non-standard dialects; e.g., English speakers alone will run into Cockney, Ebonics, Scots, Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe...) make it unreasonable to expect a non-native speaker to have learned it, unless they have lived in the native-speaking environment for some time or otherwise have a lot of exposure. Some of these details can’t be looked up anywhere and you would have to ask, even when it might just be a question of usage and the answer might be “well, that’s not wrong, but nobody would ever say it that way.”
So even though some translations seem technically pointless at first glance, I don’t think they are.
(Now, I know some people have tried game translations into conlangs, but at that point I’m willing to write it off as an art project ;P )