News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Rockman 7 - Shukumei no Taiketsu English Translation!  (Read 11032 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Zynk Oxhyde

Rockman 7 - Shukumei no Taiketsu was released in Japan with all things intact, like the random Lab Talk with either Dr. Right, Roll or Rightot(Auto). However, in the US/European versions these were removed for unknown reasons. Kudos to Rockman Perfect Memories for the information regarding this. I apologize if I didn't follow the RPM's translation because of limited text spaces and I have no knowledge on ASM.

Also, I fixed some graphics of Rockman's sprite, esp. the Rush Armor and other minor edits to other characters. If only Roll's sprite could be accessible, I could at least give her her Rockman 8 dress. :sadface:

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.rockmanpm.com/?p=original/rockman7)

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Rockman 7 - Shukumei no Taiketsu English Translation!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 06:24:29 am »
As hard as he's worked on it i'd be willing to give Zinc a pass. Though if he were to say put out a 2.0 version of the patch I'd be willing to help translate. That Japanese on the title screen so screams "I wanna be in english!"

fireball

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 07:24:06 am »
Also he says he hacked some sprites? I don't know...I guess it's ok, but I prefer translations without altering anything to the original japanese rom other than japanese text (inlc. graphical text).

Crysta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 11:57:32 am »
Even though i get what you were trying for by changing some specific sprites that you did, the side effect from it of making Rock always look like he's chewing something while walking should really be taken out. Also, you changed the sprites for shooting and charging to be a bit angrier, but you missed making the same changes for the super armor's charged shot.

In the intro "Dr. Wily always have evil tricks up his sleeve..." and "Dr.Wily's robots have awaken" should be "has evil tricks" and "have awakened" respectively. Also, the Rightot Wild Coil message should probably be "install it to my legs" rather than "install in to my legs". I'll probably play through everything a bunch of times today to see what other errors in the text there are.

I do understand that the lack of text space is why much of it sounds awkward though, so I won't say anything about that at least.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 02:26:01 pm »
Dte will fix that lack of text problem right up. Since u r working on snes you can probably get mte off as well provided you can find free space near the text engine. Now before you say "but i don't know asm!", i've been told that is beginner stuff and it's also a good way to start learning so you can make a hack that people won't pick apart.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 02:36:57 pm »
Text space should never, ever be an issue on the SNES. Even without doing an ASM hack like DTE, which is minimally complicated, moving text pointers around in the ROM is easy, and a 16 bit pointer -> 24 bit pointer ASM hack is about as easy as they get. Usually requires a total of three extra opcodes. Five, if you count a sub jump and a return if spaghettifying the code is necessary (which it usually is.)

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 03:16:17 pm »
Awesome bit of info! I'll look for to using when I get around to hacking an SNES game! You think expanding pointer will work on a TG-16 game with only 8k of free space in the vram? Sorry, if the question seems common knowledge but I am still learning the basics myself.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 05:42:43 am »
Thanks for the input guys!  8)

@Crysta: I'm sure Rockman doesn't have a charging pose in his Rush Armor mode; when he's charging, he just stands there, while on Normal he had a shooting pose the I put that gritting face. And about his face while running, I want to think of him as breathing through his mouth. I did a lot of his mouth movement, like using the Junk Shield.
About the "have awaken" part, I had to insert "and" at the end to connect it with the "BEGIN SEARCHING..." phrase, too bad there's no "&" in the game. If there are more grammatical errors in there, please note it here then.

@Pikachu: Is that possible? That title screen really bugs me, too.

I might not touch this hack for a long while. If I could find the time to learn more on ROM hacking then I can work on version 2.0. Also, I could make a separate "translation only" & "localized US names" patches. No promises though.  :-\

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 08:42:43 am »
Yes indeed it is! Did you look at the title screen in a graphics editor to see if it is compressed? Shukumei no Taiketsu means Showdown of Destiny by the way.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 10:04:45 am »
Hey at least we now know a lower case text hack for the normal US version is feasible.

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 11:38:08 pm »
Yes indeed it is! Did you look at the title screen in a graphics editor to see if it is compressed? Shukumei no Taiketsu means Showdown of Destiny by the way.

Yeah, I called mine "Duel of Fate" less letters and all that jazz, I think my title has another game has that title though. I used YY-CHR for viewing & editing the sprites , but the title screen just doesn't show up in there. If you can fiddle with that part of the ROM, let me know.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 07:52:13 pm »
Heh. I've wanted the compressed graphics dumped to file for years. No relevant skills to do anything about it.

Lestat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 07:52:56 pm »
Why you don't use vsnes to see where are these tilemap/tileset? The next step trace the vram register to find them in rom, and study what kind of compress is used?

Btw, thank you for your work :)

Dark Phoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 08:39:44 pm »
Does this require an English MM7 ROM, or a Japanese RM7 ROM?

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 12:30:16 am »
Jap rom

Dark Phoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 08:06:38 am »
What's the byte count supposed to be?  None of the ROM's I tried worked with the patch.

cobaltex

• View Profile
    • anime4psp
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 04:23:25 pm »
What's the byte count supposed to be?  None of the ROM's I tried worked with the patch.
He doesn't say it in the readme but you have to use a headerless rom, to add or remove  a header (and find out if the rom has one or not) get nsrt which can be found on this very site.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 08:22:57 pm »
TUSH is also a very nice header checker/remover/adder. Very simple to use. http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/608/
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 01:11:37 am »

Heys! You only need the JP version only; it is not for the US version. The patch is in .bps (not .ips or Lunar IPS), so you need the beat patcher to make it work.

He doesn't say it in the readme but you have to use a headerless rom, to add or remove  a header (and find out if the rom has one or not) get nsrt which can be found on this very site.

I think it is understood that you need the fresh/untampered copy of the ROM.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 01:19:56 am »
Headered and unheadered ROMs are found all throughout SNES emulationdom. At this point in time calling a headered or unheadered rom tampered with or untampered with just doesn't apply anymore. We're coming up on 17 years too late for that.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016