News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Pokémon games you can 100% by yourself?!?  (Read 60725 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Pokémon games you can 100% by yourself?!?
« on: January 23, 2013, 02:06:27 pm »

Update By: LocksmithArmy

I remember back in 1999 when I played Pokémon Red Version for the first time. I literally caught 'em all... the right way (never did get my Mew till MUCH later). I traded for the ones I couldn't get because well, in 1999 EVERYONE had Pokémon and it was easy to trade for what you couldn't get.

Well, welcome to the modern age where we all have adult jobs and adult lives. But, we still play Pokémon because Pokémon is awesome. It becomes increasingly hard to trade for what you want, especially for the old outdated games. You need both games of a given generation, two GameBoys (of the proper generation) AND two game files! NO ONE WANTS TO DO THAT, so you're forced to cheat. Cheating is dangerous as it can corrupt your file.

I thought I would fix this problem with this small hack. I made a hack for both the Red and Gold versions. You can now catch 'em all, all by yourself. There is no need to ever trade.

I did not have the skills to change the title screens, so I could not rename them to cool names like Violet Version or Mokume Version (violet is a mix between red and blue, mokume-gane is a mix of gold and silver). Maybe one day I will get the skills and release an update for you, but for now these are fully playable games that you can complete by yourself.

Enjoy 'em and... Gotta Catch 'em All!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1108/)

Zoinkity

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Pokemon games you can 100% by yourself?!?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 03:29:15 pm »
There's also electrum, which is also a naturally-occuring gold and silver alloy, notably used in the ancient and classical world for coins and a shiny coating for buildings.  It was one of the reasons you couldn't miss important buildings in Egypt or Byzantium, and one of the reasons it was so profitable sacking both ;*)

Cool idea though.  Pokémon trading was the biggest reason I held onto my old monster green-screen GameBoy.

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 07:09:23 pm »
hey cool thanks for the info... Pokemon Electrum Version does sound cool lol

but I still dont have the skills ;)

And for anyone following these... I did update Pokemon Gold to incorperate better placement (figured out how to edit inside caves) so the mix is much closer to how the placement is in Silver... if you downloaded it before the 22nd of Jan I implore you to redownload it and repatch it...
it should not be an issue for your gamesaves.

January 23, 2013, 08:29:48 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I wanted to write about how I decided the locations and amounts of pokemon to add or alter in these games...

Lets start with Pokemon Red Version. It is easiest to place the pokemon that were Blue Version only pokemon. These pokemon were: Sandshrew, Sandslash, Vulpix, Ninetales, Meowth, Persian, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victreebell, Magmar, and Pinsir. In Blue Version these pokemon had their own locations... now the percent chance of finding them was going to be an issue... because they almost always paired up with a similar pokemon in Red Version taking its spot (Vulpix-Growlith, Meowth-Mankey, Bellsprout-Oddish and so on)

To solve this problem I simply split the percent chance of finding the Red Version only pokemon with the Blue Version only pokemon. So on Route 7 there is a 30% chance of finding a Mankey (of varying levels) in Red Version... I split it with Meowth (11% Mankey and 19% Meowth). Many times the percent is split evenly but sometimes it was not due to the actual percent breakdowns (per pokemon per level) I wanted to be as fair as possible to the other pokemon in the area (that are the same in bother Red and Blue Versions).

I had to keep in mind the percent chance of finding each pokemon aswell as with each percent bracket you could have a different level. So the lower percent brackets for the same pokemon would give higher level pokemon. so if I gave only the lower brackets to the Blue only pokemon (making them rarer) it would eliminate the higher level Red only pokemon, so I had to keep it mixed up pretty well.

Now to talk about the guys you cannot get; Charmander, Omanyte, Gengar and so on. They simply needed to be added into logical locations. I decided that most of these pokemon should be quite rare. Omanyte and Kabuto I put in the bottom of Seafoam Islands in the 2 lowest brackets (4% and 1%) but this obviously took 5% off from the pokemon that were already there. In this case it removed a Golbat and a Slowpoke... the only Golbat and Slowpoke on this floor of the cave. On this particular level there were 2 brackets filled with Slowbro (a 5% and a 10% bracket) so I removed the lower percent Slowbro and inserted the Slowpoke (keeping the Slowpokes level, 39) now this eliminated the chances of finding a level 31 Slowbro, now there are only level 29 Slowbro... it also lowered the chance of finding ANY Slowbro from 15% to only 10% and it raised the chance of finding a level 39 Slowpoke from 4% to 5%, but BOTH pokemon can still find-able on this floor... now Golbat I just ignored... he can be found in MANY other locations so I did not feel he was a priority.

So the basic idea is to keep as many pokemon in their natural habitat as possible without altering their percentages too much... quite difficult with the amount of altering that needed to be done.

Moving on to Pokemon Gold Version. This was exactly the same as Pokemon Red Version... just alot more and alot more variables. In the Gen II games they Gold only and Silver only pokemon were not always paired up with eachother. For example on Route 2 in Pokemon Silver you can catch Ledeba, but in gold that bracket is replaced with Pidgey... which is in BOTH games. So for these instances I simply replaced these pokemon with the new ones. since it wouldnt hurt any pokemon except the Pidgey I replaced... but Pidgey is still abundant on that route anyway.

The biggest variable I had to deal with was the time of day issue... morning day and night all had different pokemon hanging in the same area. This actually made things more ideal. Lets look at the good ol Route 7, in Gold Version Growlith is found there and in Silver Version Vulpix is found there... I simply left Growlith there in the morning, split the percentage (with Growlith taking the higher percent) during the day and replaced Growlith at night. So Vulpix sleeps in the mornings and wakes up during the day, and is active at night ;)

I did this for every instance there was a direct trade off between Gold and Silver Pokemon (Growlith-Vulpix and Ursaring-Donphan) if I could not split the day, the Silver only pokemon took only the night time.

I was also able to add more pokemon to the same area. In Red Version I had to really hurt the percentage of Tengela to add all 3 starters, but in Gold Version I only took the 1% spot away, putting one pokemon in each timeframe.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:30:39 pm by LocksmithArmy »
~Current Project:

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 12:41:39 am »
Cheating is dangerous to your file as it can corrupt it.
Are you saying the "Catch Mew" trick isn't safe?
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~jdonald/pokemon/mewglitch.html
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 02:25:33 am »
the catch mew glitch is not what I was talking about... I was talking about cheat codes... I dont really consider glitches cheating... they are beating the creators system... if the game developers did not want it there... they should have fixed it.

the glitch can actually be used to catch any pokemon at lv 7... if you do some math to figure out what you want.

and in my version of the game you must still use that glitch to catch a mew... I left it this way to keep him elusive but since the glitch is widely known its still possible for skilled players to catch him. that and you can do it by yourself... with one game... without trading ;) (or using a gameshark or sav editor)

but to answer your question... no it is not perfectly safe... there are several points during the glitch where you could mess up... and possibly corrupt your file... idk. but if its done correctly it will work with no harm(technically cheatcodes can bring no harm aswell... but they can also corrupt data). any time you put any game in a position where it is forced to do something its not supposed to do... its possible to jack your gamesave up.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 02:33:24 am by LocksmithArmy »
~Current Project:

Xenesis

• Syogun Changer
    • View Profile
    • Wars World News
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 03:52:46 pm »
While it might be a bit more work than just leaving players to the Mew glitch, you could probably write an event that gives the player Mew.

Maybe from the 150 Pokedex guy? :P

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 04:21:44 pm »
Thats an awesome idea
~Current Project:

bronn

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Pokémon games you can 100% by yourself?!?
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 08:29:48 am »
Great work man! I finished Pokemon Thunder Yellow, that is the same idea as yours and was looking for some good 2nd generation game that allows you to capture everyone, I tried one hackrom called pokemon crystal all but it had some weird modifications. Pokemon liquid crystal doesn't have a working pokedex... I even thought about creating my own hackrom for this!

Just one question, why didn't you modify the 3rd version of each generation (yellow, crystal)? It is not a big difference but they have a couple of better things, and it would be a better way for having charmander, etc. Another recommendation, it would make these roms amazing. For the "special" pokemon, like mew or celebi having them as figurines. For mew it would be great having it appear when looking at the truck next to the ss anne.

Fazermint

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 11:33:36 am »
This is awesome! I've always been bothered by version exclusives and trade-only pokemon.

I would like to be able to catch Mew in Red without having to resort to a glitch, that would make it truly 100%  :) Maybe something to consider in a future update? Either way, I'll be playing this!

cobaltex

• View Profile
    • anime4psp
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 03:05:45 pm »
For Celebi, you do know the GS Ball event to get it exists in the game? It's just you can't do the event without using a cheat to add the GS Ball to your inventory and another cheat to tell the game the GS Ball  is "real".
And I agree with wanting to see this done for crystal.

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 06:33:53 pm »
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys...
I tried playing this "Red 151" hack... but did not notice any difference.. ever.. I have not tried thunder yellow but it looks good.

I guess I did not do yellow and crystal... cause I just like red and gold better lol. and I know these 2 games MUCH better, as far as pokemon layout and stuff. I tried to do this to Ruby but realized... since Ive never played Ruby it would be far too much work researching where all the pokemon should be... I just like the first 2 generations best. (black and white and black2 and white2 are real good... im excited for the 3ds release aswell)

I am working on an update with some sort of event for Mew... I love Mew ;) I want him to be exclusive (1 per game)
I like the idea of having him pop out of the truck lol cause of all the rumors about it... good stuff. and its missable... if you dont bother to check.
~Current Project:

cobaltex

• View Profile
    • anime4psp
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 12:43:53 am »
I am working on an update with some sort of event for Mew... I love Mew ;) I want him to be exclusive (1 per game)
I like the idea of having him pop out of the truck lol cause of all the rumors about it... good stuff. and its missable... if you dont bother to check.
"And its missable... if you don't trade for a pokemon with cut rather then getting the HM from the Captain. (or alternatively losing a battle on the SS Anne, and losing half your money, to get sent to the pokemon center. [or glitching your way back into the SS Annes area using the surf glitch.])."
I fixed that for you.
Also, someone should make surfing pikachu available in yellow without the need of pokemon stadium.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 10:54:17 am »
The red version readme don't state where Mew is found.

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 06:50:35 pm »
"And its missable... if you don't trade for a pokemon with cut rather then getting the HM from the Captain. (or alternatively losing a battle on the SS Anne, and losing half your money, to get sent to the pokemon center. [or glitching your way back into the SS Annes area using the surf glitch.])."
I fixed that for you.
Also, someone should make surfing pikachu available in yellow without the need of pokemon stadium.

if the point of getting a mew without using the mew glitch is to get mew without glitching... I dont think putting mew under the truck will work out after all... because you would either have to trade early (which is again against the point of the hack) or glitch to the area... if were gonna glitch to the area y not just use the mew glitch... so I will think of something else... a non glitch event for mew.

im still having trouble writing a new event aswell... whos got more skills than me that wants to help ;)

January 29, 2013, 06:51:50 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The red version readme don't state where Mew is found.

thats because I have not edited his location yet... you still have to use the mew glitch to get him...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 06:58:16 pm by LocksmithArmy »
~Current Project:

bronn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 07:54:40 pm »
I've been looking at hacking, just for fun, yesterday and today. If you are interested I can help you with your rom, I know more or less how to insert a pokemon as a figure (on gold), and there are a couple more interesting things that can be looked at to see if they are easy to do, like making graveller, etc. evolve normally, or making prof elm allow you to take 3 starters, getting celebi with gs ball, etc.

About getting mew on the truck, I think the only way of doing that without a glitch (other than trading) is getting fainted. It is not difficult because inside the ship you have a pc.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:21:31 pm by bronn »

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 10:42:23 pm »
I would like to get red updated before I work on gold again... now that I see several things id like to do to red...

Trade Pokemon (Alakazam, Gengar, ect.) can all be evolved by leveling up their predecessor to Lv. 55

Kabuto/Omanyte: After picking one fossil in Mt. Moon, as you head for the exit, you find the other laying on the ground with text "You found (the other) Fossil. He must have dropped it as he ran away."

Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan: After defeating the Karate Master in Saffron he tells you "I am retiring now. Please take care of my 2 prized Pokemon" and allows you to take both.

Mew can be captured in the Robbed House in Cerulean City. Press A on the standing potted tree in the south west corner of the house to fight a Lv. 7 Mew

I figured the only way to get to the truck would be to edit the map so that you could surf to the area with the truck... but I have no desire to change the map of the game or put in a new warp or anything of the sort. so I figured id find a new spot for mew...
I thought about putting him in the center of one of the pools infront of bills house... like lapras... but I figured that would not be missable... so hiding in the robbed house is better ;)
hiding him in cerulean gives no advantage to using the glitch also... y bother with the glitch if you can just go push A and fight him...

I figure leaving the starting pokemon outside pallat town is fine... if you take all 3 what will rival take... and you have a huge advantage at the beginning of the game. changing the game flow is not really what im after...
~Current Project:

bronn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 12:42:09 am »
I didn't think about the advantage having 3 starters give you. Another possibility: without entering on the complexity of the scripts that yellow might have: simulate how you get them on yellow. If you don't do the checks that yellow does (I think it checks if you have medals) it should not be a big problem, just editing the maps and adding the 3 characters (and house, etc. where it belongs) that give you that 3 pokemon.

The problem is that one of them would already be in your team because you choose it as a starter. Capturing them in the grass is also fine, I'm just trying to give you ideas.

LocksmithArmy

• View Profile
    • LSA Entertainment
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 01:10:28 am »
I did not like how the percentages broke up the 3 starting pokemon in one area
bulbasaur had a 5%
charmander had a 4%
and poor squirtle only gets 1% ;(

I thought this was silly... so I moved them about the land (hoping the Prof was a great traveler back in his day)
bulbasaur is still in rt 21, charmander is in the pokemon mansion and squirtle is hanging out in the seafoam islands... all in the 4% slot. still rare but they are atleas all as rare as eachother now ;)

I am doing alot of research into the coding of games so i can figure out how to make/edit my events aswell as edit how pokemon evolve.

February 01, 2013, 01:11:27 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I have decided to take everything ive learned from hacking red and gold... and Ive started hacking Fire Red in a similar way... thatway there will be no excess code from me deleting and re editing and making a mess... this one will be much better ;)

here are some things ive done so far.
http://youtu.be/PP-WirG2SDs

I have merged all the pokemon from Firered and Leafgreen aswell as finished adding all the pokemon from gen2 in it, so you can getthe first 251 aswell as (i think) 3 from the 3rd gen... I also edited the way trade pokemon evolve ;) so you dont have to catch 3rd forms, you can evolve your own pokemon that youve been training

I have fixed it so you can get both hitmonlee and hitmonchan from the karate master.

I am working very hard at getting a mew in the game... but this dude is pissing me off... I cant get him to go away once you battle him... he keeps showing back up a second after the battle...

Im also still working on the 2 fossils... its not as easy as the hitmonlee and hitmonchan were.

another big issue I have are the 3 mystical dogs... each game only gets 1 depending on which starter you get... I cant even find that code to try and mess with it... (so technically you can only get 252 instead of all 254... but im working on it)

I am also still working on editing the home screen... Ive got the initial charizard replaced... but I cant get the palette right. and ive drawn replacements for the fire in the background... but it keeps saying the old image is bigger... but its not ;(
and editing the big FIRERED logo is a pain due to palettes too
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:11:27 am by LocksmithArmy »
~Current Project:

bronn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 10:29:25 am »
Great work! :thumbsup: I think it will be much easier to find tools for gen III, even the bit I have been investigating with gen II I've seen that most of the tools are for the 3rd generation.

Maybe someone can help you with this problems. You could ask someone at rom hackers online, they have a irc and a facebook-like webpage, and is a website dedicated at hacking pokemon games mostly.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 06:41:14 am »
Trade Pokemon (Alakazam, Gengar, ect.) can all be evolved by leveling up their predecessor to Lv. 55
Why not Level 50?

Also, is there a chance that your Red Edition will have updated graphics like those from the Proud Eyes Version?