News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Hebereke English Translation v1.0  (Read 11696 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Hebereke English Translation v1.0
« on: March 02, 2013, 10:50:56 pm »

Update By: BMF54123

Hebereke is a rather silly non-linear platformer by Sunsoft, released on the Famicom in 1991. It plays similarly to Blaster Master or Metroid, in that you must traverse a rather large world in search of new characters and powerups in order to access new areas. The game was popular enough that it spawned an entire series, and Hebe (the main character) remained Sunsoft's mascot in Japan for much of the 1990s. The game was released in Europe and Australia in 1992 under the title Ufouria, with significant changes made to the story and two of the main characters; a U.S. release was planned, but eventually cancelled.

This patch completely translates all of the dialogue, including the intro and ending sequences, and fixes a couple of bugs present in the original game. It has been tested on the PowerPak and works flawlessly with the latest mapper files.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://bmf.rustedlogic.net)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Translations: Hebereke English Translation v1.0
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 01:16:54 am »
You guys thought about changing the title screen? The Japanese kinda looks like it was written by a child or something. Perhaps something equivalent could be done to that extent. Anyway, sweet job with this translation. Looks like quality work. I'm gonna have to give it a spin.

BMF54123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 01:48:25 am »
I see no need to modify the title screen, as it already has "HEBEREKE" on it. I'm kind of a purist when it comes to these things anyway.

The Japanese text probably looks like it was written by a child because Hebe IS a child. :P

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 12:37:00 pm »
This game is HARD. Especially since you have to dodge enemies for a lot of the begining of the game. You don't get a sword or a gun, you don't even get a fist. You should at least get a fist. Or at least a foot or something.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 12:52:56 pm »
You are supposed use the down button to stomp enemies.

(BTW yes, the controls of this game are horrible)

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 01:14:45 pm »
I can't even seem to do that. And, really, they should NOT make that your only option in a game like that, where there's a lot of confined corridors.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 02:54:45 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:52:33 am by Chpexo »

RahanAkero

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 12:09:29 am »
Also the wording of the translation could be a lot better.

Hey there! Translatorguy here to ask questions/partially defend my work.

Quote from: O-chan
ほかにふたり わたくしのしもべが
おりますわ
さあまいりましょうーーっ(たかびしゃ)
Some hyper-literal translation action!
In addition, I have two servants/manservants
that have been granted to me! (sentence ending particle: feminine)
Now, let's go! (domineering/high handed) -- also note that her statement is very formal.

I believe I have that in the translation as "Besides, I have two other manservants to help us! Now, let's be off!"
To be honest, I'm not really that happy with this line, just because of the word "manservants." I'm thinking "lackeys" might have been better, but I wanted to try to maintain O-chan's formal tone.

Quote from: O-chan
おだまりっ こうしてくれますわっっ
おーほっほっほっ (たかわらい)
"Be silent! Now, take this!
Oh-hohoho! (LAUGHING OUT LOUD)"
(coincidentally, she doesn't say "I'll show you the way out," as you quoted. Check the screenshot up there!)
I'd intended on her statement to sound vaguely threatening -- like, the way out she's gonna be showing Hebe is a permanent one, and not necessarily to his home. I'll consider a rewording to make the threat a little bit more overt.

Quote from: Hebe
わちのとくいこうげぎ
「くびちょんぱあたーく」をてにいれた
にょーひ

Bぼたんでえねるぎーをためてこうげきす
るにほぷ
"You got my special technique,
"Neck Chomper Attack" nyohi.

Charge energy with the B button
to use the attack nihopu!"

Some things here and there. For one, the names of *all* of the attacks have been changed to be more flavorful, and Hebe's and O-chan's are specifically references to Ufouria (the Head Bopper and Freon Breath, respectively). For the two offensive abilities, the only description they got in Hebereke was "Charge energy with the B button! (indeterminate bird sound)," so we decided a little bit of wiggle room was allowed, ergo: "Charge up energy with the B button, and headbutt your foes into next week!" The comma might be negotiable, but I'm personally a fan of Hebe using such an outdated expression as "knock 'em into next week." Also, Sukezaemon "unleashing the ocular fury" was my idea, and it's a decision I am supremely proud of. :x

Are there any other issues with the translation that I could possibly explain?

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 06:07:57 am »
If I may ask, what differences are between the Ufouria: The Saga localization, and the original Hebereke, going so far as to warrant a retranslation?
Don't misunderstand me  :) : It amazes me there are still purist dedicated people on the scene, and I commend you for your awesome work.

EDIT: My bad, didn't read the intro

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 04:27:40 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:52:21 am by Chpexo »

RahanAkero

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 12:03:59 am »
Sorry if I sounded harsh but my intentions were not to be sadistic.

Oh, no! I don't think you were being sadistic -- I just wanted to convey the reasoning behind my choices. I really appreciate the criticism as it was constructive and helped confirm a suspicion I had -- the word "manservant" was bothering me quite a bit, but I couldn't really decide one way or another.

Besides, if I pointed out how I arrived at my conclusion and I was wrong, I'd rather have it pointed out here than not at all. :x

Fei Wong

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 02:56:21 am »
I never knew this game didnt come out in the US! As a kid, i loved this game a lot! i rented it week after week, im really happy to see that finally someone translates this from japanese! i'm eager to see the differences between Ufouria and the original Herebeke. :thumbsup: