News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Mashin Hero Wataru Gaiden Released!  (Read 13345 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Mashin Hero Wataru Gaiden Released!
« on: April 17, 2013, 03:32:07 am »

Update By: Hubz

A translation for the Famicom game Mashin Hero Wataru Gaiden was released a couple of weeks ago in English! Please check out this excellent action RPG!

Mashin Hero Wataru Gaiden is a game based on a popular anime series known by the same name minus Gaiden. In this game you play as yourself and you must save Wataru who has been captured by the evil Dakdar.

You’ll travel the world doing various tasks to unlock new areas while trying to locate the Dragon Treasures in order to save Wataru. Each area has its own theme as well as enemies which adds to the overall charm.

The game is fun and interesting in the fact that it is an action game but also has RPG elements that flow very nicely together. The map is overhead view similar to other NES RPG’s of its time while the battles switch over to a side view based screen similar to Zelda 2.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://spookytornado.wordpress.com/projects/mashin-hero-wataru-translation/)

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Mashin Hero Wataru Gaiden Released!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 08:58:59 am »
The only thing wrong with the description is that's it's not an action game before it's an RPG. It's an RPG, with random battles, that are real time action. It's more comparable to the original Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia, or Chronicle of the Radia War, than Zelda 2.

Also of note, this one should be a little nostalgic for TurboGrafx-16 owners, at least if yours came with "Keith Courage in the Alpha Zones."

hap

• View Profile
    • hap's stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 11:55:37 am »
Ohh, good news! :) This is one of the Famicom games i was looking forward to playing in English someday. The game looks very polished, and with the Westone stamp on it I hope it'll be a game worth completing.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 01:58:23 pm »
Neat! Lots of good stuff coming out this week.

stahl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 04:40:14 pm »
Played this for about 5 minutes and was impressed.  This was made by the company that made the Wonder boy series.  Battles play just like in Wonder boy 2.

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 04:23:17 am »
The only thing I can say thus far is that I wish you would have hacked it so that the opening doesn't have that seizure-inducing flashing of bright colors.  The Porygon episode of Pokemon wasn't even that intense.

glown

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 08:21:16 am »
more nes rpgs?  i'm in heaven. 

butane bob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 08:40:22 am »
Westone! HOLY CRAP! :D

Deets

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 03:35:23 pm »
Westone! HOLY CRAP! :D
Right? I need to check this game out.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 05:02:21 pm »
For anyone interested, I found a torrent for the first season of the series(45 episodes) complete with ok quality fan subs. The anime was never officially translated, so the fan subs are a welcome addition. And speaking of the anime, it's actually not too bad despite me feeling silly at times for watching a children's show. I've even laughed a bit while watching it so far.

Btw, I really didn't need to be credited for this game. I didn't do anything.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 06:06:36 pm »
I finally got around to giving this a serious go.

The only thing I can say thus far is that I wish you would have hacked it so that the opening doesn't have that seizure-inducing flashing of bright colors.  The Porygon episode of Pokemon wasn't even that intense.

The opening isn't the only place it happens, though so far I've only seen the one in-game instance.

Is it just me, or are the programmers that evil? Luckily I always use save states to back up save files, because the last time I saved, I had ~3500 gold, earned, not cheated in or anything, and loading the game, I came back with 900 gold and lost 2 items(they tell you when you lose items).

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 01:27:48 pm »
Is this game actually worth a damn? I find most anime based games, well, aren't.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 04:08:40 pm »
It's pretty good. I've seen people compare it to the monster world series, despite being top down view, and an RPG. You'll actually recognize some enemies if you did have the Turbografx-16 game(or if you just recognize the anime). Usual downside of an RPG though, there gets to be a point where you just don't know what to do next/get lost(plus money farming, but I'm at a point where one encounter pulls up ~500, 600 with a certain rare drop weapon equipped). Currently I'm trying to find the Dragon Wing, the only clue the old man gave, while he was there, was that it was by the sea. I found the Dragon Room he mentioned, but not that last treasure.

Just keep a save state for a backup save, or you're going to lose money and items when you load(saving occurs when you rest at an inn, btw). Also had a game erase on me, when I tried a new game, didn't like something, and reset to try a new game again. To be fair, I was loading it up with cheat codes. I was trying to rush through and get back to where I could talk to the old man to get the clues to the dragon treasures again, which I did, then loaded a save state to get my save back.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 04:14:58 pm by FallenAngel2387 »

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 08:29:05 pm »
While I was beta-testing it on FCEUX, I played the game on 1.5 speed, LOL!

And the music sounded better on that speed setting!  ;D

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 10:22:13 pm »
Once I figured some things out I eventually beat it, so it's a quick enough game, considering I started it some time yesterday.

I was level 15, admittedly used a save state to restart the final battle(starting with the conversation before it, so it wasn't that much of a cheat, before anyone gets judgmental  :P), but it's a pretty fair battle all things considered, you just need to know how to fight it. The battle to rescue Wataru was probably the toughest in the game.

The first half guided you along. There was always at least 1 NPC that gave you a hint as to what you needed to do next. The 2nd half stops doing that, but by the time you collect the 4 dragon treasures you probably know where to go next, if only because you went everywhere you possibly could, looking for them.

Found one grammatical issue the whole game. The lone guy in the desert trying to say which, says "whih."

tkcne

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 05:21:46 pm »
Do you have a save state before a point where it steals your items? Part of the problem with this one was a lot of the strings I had no context for when they happened in the game. If you have one I can check and see if I made a mistake in the script somewhere.

I fixed the "Whih" -> "With" typo. Let me know if you find anymore.

Glad people are enjoying this.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 07:17:49 pm »
It happens when you load normally, and you have items that aren't important to proceed, or are/can be equipped. It seems like something that's actually supposed to happen, as the inn keeper informs you of it, and it doesn't happen every single time, but it does happen often. I'd say losing money was the bigger issue. You can lose quite a bit, so you would definitely want to buy a new sword/shield/spell before saving.

This is with Nestopia, if that makes any difference.

tkcne

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 12:55:41 pm »
That's weird. What is the exact line they say when it happens? I just want to make sure I didn't forget to end a string and it is just running into the next one.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 02:36:03 pm »
You do realize it makes you start over again when you see the ending, right?

Anyway it says "Aaaa! # items disappeared!" haven't seen more than 2 myself. This last time it was a Risky Weed, while I had a Mega Ether. Also had around 40 Gold before, and 9 after loading.

Just thought of something, I had never chosen the "quit" option, when staying at the inn. Is it a punishment for abruptly leaving the game?

Edit: I think it is. I had 61 gold, and when I chose "quit" I came back with 51 gold(the charge being 10) and no items missing.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 03:03:01 pm by FallenAngel2387 »

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 06:26:19 am »
That pink horse...
It reminds me of Zone Tan's Prank of Mlp Fim.
Was this pink horse always there or was it added in as a reference to the above?