News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: How to Train Your Dragon NES Style; Sansara Naga Translation Released  (Read 8634 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Pennywise

This holiday season aishsha and Pennywise, with help from Eien ni Hen and friend, present to you a complete translation of the NES RPG Sansara Naga. The game is a Hindu-themed DQ clone, but it is also a dragon-raising sim and a semi-complex one at that for a game of its time. The game ditches mindless grinding and a traditional experience stat in favor of something else that involves feeding your dragon certain types of enemies to raise certain stats. On top of that, your actions influence your dragon's behavior. For example, if all you do is run from battles, your dragon will become a coward. The game world may be somewhat small, but it is also kind of an open world type thing where you can pretty much explore everywhere right off the bat. That's pretty much Sansara Naga in a nutshell, but do give it a play and see if you think it's as good as we think it is.

We've also recorded a sort of Let's Play that covers the beginning of the game, so if you're stuck or curious about the game, please refer to these videos.

We also have a scanned and translated manual that we would like someone to photoshop in the English translation. We would rather do that than release the text file. The manual will pretty much answer most questions gamers have about this game and there are sure to be questions.

Lastly, we have included a few stocking stuffer translations to go along with this release. The game of note is Peke and Poko's Daruman Busters. The game is paid advertising for Japanese bakery company Fujiya, but it was developed by Birthday, a dev we have a history with translating games for.

* Sansara Naga
* Peke to Poko no Daruman Busters
* Moai Kun

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://aishsha.blogspot.com)

Wendell

• View Profile
    • Superman Summaries
Sansara Naga sounds incredible, and I love that you'd release something as obscure as Peke & Poko.  It's like discovering a bit of lost history.
Read my reviews of early Superman comics at
Superman Summaries!

ZarethKnyght

• View Profile
Sensara naga is confusing. Here's a heads up, you can open doors by pushing against them...yea took me a while to figure this out.

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
Is there a program I need to patch the Saansara Naaga translation with? It doesn't work with Lunar ISP.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
Is there a program I need to patch the Saansara Naaga translation with? It doesn't work with Lunar ISP.
Guys, readme file sometimes (well, almost always) contains some useful information:)
The patch is in the BPS format and needs to be applied
with byuu's patcher, beat.

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/893/

ZarethKnyght

• View Profile
Any clue when the dragon starts asking for food? I've gotten it to hatch by fighting so figured that out at least (I kept running before that since I wasn't getting anything :p).

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
Go to Hoverpool and leave it at the Dragon's Nursery - they will help you with raising your dragon.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Sansara Naga sounds incredible, and I love that you'd release something as obscure as Peke & Poko.  It's like discovering a bit of lost history.

Well, you know I'll hack anything. I don't really give a shit what I translate or what other people want. The funny thing is that most of the work for Daruman Busters wasn't hacking related. I spent a lot of times making savestates at the end of each floor, so I could find all the text in the game. Since the game is so obscure there weren't even any cheats for it and I eventually got around to the halfway point before I couldn't get any farther. And so I broke down and started looking to create my own cheats, figured out some cheats and eventually beat the game.

aqualung

• View Profile
Guys, readme file sometimes (well, almost always) contains some useful information:)
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/893/

Hi, everybody. Is there any other program to patch a bps file which is not the pain in the ass that beat is? I can't seem to get it working no matter what I try. If I doubleclick the beat.exe, the GUI starts, but when I click on "apply patch" the GUI suddenly closes.

Also, when I try to use it via command line, I do what the provided beat.html file says and type: beat -apply -p naga.bps -o naga_eng.nes naga.nes and all I have is this output:

beat v03
author: byuu
license: GPLv3

usage 1: beat -decode -p pack -t target [source]
usage 2: beat -encode [-delta] [-m manifest] -p pack -t target [source]

I'm using windows XP SP3. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Ok, I figured out that you can drag a bps file to the beat exe and it will open the menu for chosing the rom to patch. Lucky me it worked, because it didn't say anything about this in the instruction manual.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:24:30 am by aqualung »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
I am tempted to ditch BPS and switch to xdelta, but at this point it seems like a fringe case. If it continues to be a problem, I'll probably end up switching formats.

It works fine for me though. Also, I'm not using IPS this time around due to ROM expansion. Without modifications to the original ROM, an IPS patch would end up containing a lot of redundant data. However, if you alter the ROM to be the same size as the translation, it works as normal. I used to do that in the past, but I recently came to the realization that it's fucking stupid to go through hoops just to patch a ROM when there are other patching formats that can handle the expansion no problem.

Here we go.

http://dl.smwcentral.net/5917/floating.zip
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 07:26:29 pm by Pennywise »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Translation's been updated a bit, a new patch will eventually happen in the future.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:18:07 pm by Pennywise »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
I've got a very nice English manual available for the game now. I'd really like to thank Eien ni Hen for doing such a great job translating it and Eric of Troy for doing such a fantastic job photoshopping a beautiful manual.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:59:57 pm by Pennywise »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Ok folks, I've just updated the patch. There were a few minor issues and I edited the text here and there. The manual's now included in the patch archive.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
Kudos to all involved. I'm glad you guys got this completed, and I'm sure Eien ni Hen did another fantastic translation. This is something I'm actually going to check out in a couple weeks, simply because it sounds like a game that was way ahead of its time.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
Kudos to all involved. I'm glad you guys got this completed, and I'm sure Eien ni Hen did another fantastic translation. This is something I'm actually going to check out in a couple weeks, simply because it sounds like a game that was way ahead of its time.

Aishsha did most of the first pass translation. I mainly did editing work and helped with the manual and item names. Apparently this series is infamously hard to translate, probably because it's all in kana and has lots of weird accents/slang.

The game itself is really fun, but has a steep learning curve. I definitely recommend checking out the manual before playing because it has a lot of useful info. I remember being pretty clueless about where to go/what to do during playtesting.  :laugh:
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.