News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Ponies invading my Megaman game? - Dr. Discord's Conquest Released!  (Read 12246 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: RetiredBrony

Are you a fan of these characters? Or are you just looking for something new in your Mega Man game?

You're sure to find a new adventure here! The game has been completely redesigned, and now features colorful ponies in place of Mega Man and the rest of the robot masters.

If you're not a Mega Man player, don't worry! You can still get a kick out of this one as the difficulty is nowhere near in comparison to the original games.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1731/)

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
I can just imagine a fit breaking out over this.

Still, it's Megaman. I do like Megaman, and I do like (to an extent) the MLP cartoon, so I'll try it out.

Edit: Wizards and Lizards theme from Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex! :D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:00:40 pm by Plint Michigan »

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website

How the hell was I supposed to know those were spikes?
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

Plint Michigan

• View Profile

How the hell was I supposed to know those were spikes?

Well, they're not level. Anything that's not level will most probably kill you. ...TBH, I think I've actually seen that in other Megaman Hacks.

Edit: I swear, I always thought the Wizards and Lizards theme would sound good in a Megaman game, but I never actually expected someone would use it.

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
Wow, I just noticed that I misspelled Spikes in the MSPAINT edit there... how embarrassing.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
I don't think I've ever seen a non-level surface be safe in a Famicom Rockman game.

xorxif

• View Profile
Well I'm something of a brony and megaman fan myself... but when I opened the file, nothing but the ips patch and a custom written exe patcher (which shouldn't be necessary I would think... ?)

So where are the liner notes? Where's the readme file? How am I supposed to know what tools you used, how long you worked on it, what you were thinking in designing levels, sprites, gameplay, etc?

Come on man this is an interesting hack, don't keep us hangin! Inquiring minds want to KNOW!

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
Well I'm something of a brony and megaman fan myself... but when I opened the file, nothing but the ips patch and a custom written exe patcher (which shouldn't be necessary I would think... ?)

So where are the liner notes? Where's the readme file? How am I supposed to know what tools you used, how long you worked on it, what you were thinking in designing levels, sprites, gameplay, etc?

Come on man this is an interesting hack, don't keep us hangin! Inquiring minds want to KNOW!

Try Lunar ISP.

Edit: Also, the theme for Hill Top Zone's in it, but that's kind of obvious. I swear, Fluttershy and a few of the other stages sound familiar. And off topic, but why do people dislike Crash Bandicoot: Wrath Of Cortex? I hear part of it is because of hit detection, but I didn't notice much of a problem with that except in the Wah-Wah fight.

RetiredBrony

• View Profile

Hey! I didn't realize there would be people curious about this stuff, but so be it! I'll update the readme file some time!
If that's possible at all...

Edit: Done! Once RHDN updates the project page, the new readme file is ready!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 07:27:39 pm by RetiredBrony »

xorxif

• View Profile
The info is awesome man, thanks for taking the time.

Being able to read about as many of the details as possible about a hack I think is half the experience. Plus, it helps others who are working on their own hacks, by seeing what can be done, with what tools, and helps with motivation too.

MLP is up to season 4 now, it's worth watching the rest of the episodes you haven't seen at least once I think, there are some real gems of episodes among the ones that may be less interesting.

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
Say, could there ever be a harder version of this hack some day? Personally, I could do it myself, except I have no knowledge of hacking Boss battles. But hacking levels should be easy enough.

RetiredBrony

• View Profile
Say, could there ever be a harder version of this hack some day? Personally, I could do it myself, except I have no knowledge of hacking Boss battles. But hacking levels should be easy enough.

There could be, I just won't be the one making it. As the readme file says I'm not doing this anymore.
I'll sit aroud here until the thread dies and then that's it. Feel free to hack this even further if you want to.

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
No offense, but I'm honestly kind of sick of seeing people "leaving fandoms and wanting nothing to do with a series" type stuff. What exactly ruins certain series for people? And for the love of Pete, why does it ONLY happen to series staring non-human characters? I never see people leaving the Mario fandom or the Earthbound fandom or the Resident Evil fandom or anything with an entirely (or almost entirely) human good guy roster, but I see people leaving Sonic, My Little Pony, and basically anything and everything involving talking animals all the time. I mean, I cannot be the only person who notices this trend that it can only be "Overrated" if it has talking, friendly non-humans in it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:26:50 pm by Plint Michigan »

aqualung

• View Profile
I noticed a funny... I wonder if I should call it glitch or if it's intentional. Whenever you fall into a pit, if you make a quick jump you'll be able to avoid death. The game will continue (but without music because you're supposedly dead) until you reach to and defeat the level boss and start the next stage. It's a kind of curious glitch, hehehe.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:38:29 pm by aqualung »

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
Let me guess... Hitting Right on player 2's controller.

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
No offense, but I'm honestly kind of sick of seeing people "leaving fandoms and wanting nothing to do with a series" type stuff. What exactly ruins certain series for people? And for the love of Pete, why does it ONLY happen to series staring non-human characters? I never see people leaving the Mario fandom or the Earthbound fandom or the Resident Evil fandom or anything with an entirely (or almost entirely) human good guy roster, but I see people leaving Sonic, My Little Pony, and basically anything and everything involving talking animals all the time. I mean, I cannot be the only person who notices this trend that it can only be "Overrated" if it has talking, friendly non-humans in it.

The difference is toxicity of fandoms rather than "if it has animals in it".
will hackrom for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
The difference is toxicity of fandoms rather than "if it has animals in it".

Fandoms of games and series with only human good guys in them can be just as bad. I've been yelled at and insulted thousands of times for saying I don't like Earthbound or Mario or, actually, quite a lot of franchises. Not to mention franchises with a "Humans VS Animals" motif to them. People only notice how "awful" a fandom is if the franchise involves animals.

RetiredBrony

• View Profile
My case has nothing to do with the "base". I've just had tons upon tons of shitty experiences with the PEOPLE (not the material, the fans) of the fandom over the years, and especially how overfanatic they can be. While they're crying because they can't get x merchandise item, I'm worried about the financial status of my family, and whether we can pay all our bills or not.

Oh, and not to mention that it has false advertising. "Love and Tolerate" oh please. In reality it's more like "Not giving a fuck about anyone else, and covering the shit in a marzipan coat.

I'm done because the benefits (next to none) outweigh the drawbacks for me. That's all.

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
My case has nothing to do with the "base". I've just had tons upon tons of shitty experiences with the PEOPLE (not the material, the fans) of the fandom over the years, and especially how overfanatic they can be. While they're crying because they can't get x merchandise item, I'm worried about the financial status of my family, and whether we can pay all our bills or not.

Oh, and not to mention that it has false advertising. "Love and Tolerate" oh please. In reality it's more like "Not giving a fuck about anyone else, and covering the shit in a marzipan coat.

I'm done because the benefits (next to none) outweigh the drawbacks for me. That's all.

That sounds like it has EVERYTHING to do with the fanbase.

Personally, I never let fans ruin a series I like. The only time a fanbase makes me loathe a series is when I already dislike the series. And as far as "love and tolerate" go, IMHO, the haters can be every bit as bad, even worse than the fans of a series. And a lot of times, people hate something cause they think it's cool. Plus, too many fan bases to count are just as bad. "What!? You said something bad about... MARIO!?! But Mario is flawless in every way! FUCK YOU! YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO HATE MARIO!!!" I get that WAY too often when I talk about Mario.

Like I said, people only notice the fan base when talking animals are involved. Otherwise, it gets a pass.

zelkian

I tried this hack out of curiosity and I liked it so much I got to what I think is the last boss. It's a giant face with two small platforms to jump on. Well, if I attempt to jump onto the platforms the game seems to crash and every time, which is the first time I've run into a problem with this hack. Anyone else experience this problem?

I'm using the latest Retroarch with the Bnes core.

Good job with the hack by the way, it was fun to play through.