I'm not sure, since the version 1.0a with which I started when I did the review didn't lock up for me there. Version 1.1 still doesn't. I was playing on SNES9x, latest version.
But I made some changes around that place removing tags that weren't in the Japanese and which caused the game to output short mangled texts mixed in with regular text lines. Maybe with them gone the lock up will be too. Can you try your old save file to check if you can get past it now (and let me know if you did)? Maybe make a save state right before for your convenience as well, I know it's a bit of a walk before you get there. If the save state is around two button presses ahead of advancing the text to where it locks, new patches should fix the problem even with that save state.
A name still appears mangled in the battle text which I couldn't fix myself. Hopefully that isn't causing the lock up on your system. If the name is the problem, no patch will likely fix your save file because the names get written there. Although this one is a bit different, so maybe it would.
Anyway, thanks for pointing this out. I had read about the problem but since it didn't occur for me I thought it was already resolved. But maybe you could remove your spoiler so people won't accidentally read it. Since I'm now aware of the problem.
Edit: Thanks for editing. The link contains even more spoilers so please don't click if you haven't played the game yet. Starting with newer versions is save, no need to spoil yourself if you are you going to play the game for the first time.