News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy V advance - sound restoration updated  (Read 16050 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy V advance - sound restoration updated
« on: September 04, 2014, 04:48:51 pm »

Update By: Bregalad

The Final Fantasy V advance that restores the sound has now been updated, it now features 100% authentic music and sound effects, and supports all three versions of the ROM (Europe, Japan and America).

Even the reverb was made to sound like the original SNES version.

This version also fixes things that were even wrong in the original GBA release (and previous versions of this hack) : The correct music now plays in correct places, and the framerate drops in the game are eliminated.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/563/)

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy V advance - sound restoration updated
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 08:39:52 pm »
Thank you for updating the patch, Bregalad! It's odd, but it seems a lot of people prefer to make hacks of the US version of FFV Advance instead of the EU release.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:02:41 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 10:08:21 pm »
I'm hearing some clicks during the intro song.  Especially around the scene with Galuf.  Something screwy must be going on, this will probably be hell to track down.
Haven't tested this on Hardware yet, but I'm seeing this in VBA-M and old VBA.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 10:25:21 pm by Dwedit »
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 04:13:02 am »
This happens on hardware too, but not as much as on VBA. And if by any means you or anyone can figure out the reason for it then I'll be very grateful and happy to fix it. This glitch is extremely annoying. I've spent hours and hours trying to find the reason for those clicks, in vain.

No existing GBA emulators had enough debugging features to give me any clue of what's going on, including the shareware version of no$gba.

My only guess is that somehow the DMA 1/2 channels are prevented to be reset properly when they reach the end of the buffer. However I absolutely did not touch code in regard to DMA1/2 channel filling, so I don't know if this happens in my hack why it happens in the original.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 04:34:50 am by Bregalad »

shadowsofcreation

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 05:59:27 am »
This is an extremely cool hack/patch, in fact I have downloaded all three of your projects and want to thank you for helping to provide the definitive versions of both Final Fantasy V and VI. I have a concern about this update though, the intro sequence on the Orchestrated song has always been slightly unsynchronized with the visuals on screen which is understandable, but with this latest update the non orchestrated version seems to be off by a LOT more (at least when I play it) so much so that the last 30 or so seconds of the intro are completely silent. Is this a known bug? Did my patcher somehow not work correctly? I tried this with both the EU version of the game and the NA version of the game (with the appropriate patches) and still had this issue.

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 11:09:37 am »
So at what time is the sound update code called?  Maybe if it's called at a consistent time every frame, the clicks will disappear.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 12:10:20 pm »
I applied the patch to a U rom and there is insane slowdown when moving on the world map. The game's FPS cuts down to like half or less,  it's literally unplayable. Anybody else have this problem is it just my rom/emulator?
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 12:19:00 pm »
Guys, terrible news, I'm running into computer problems, my computer refuses to boot except on this first aid Linux session I'm writing this message from. Hard drive crash or something like that, I *could* have lost some or all of the sources of this hack, I don't know yet. This would make future fixing more difficult (but not impossible).

Given my very limited knownlege of Linux I don't even know how to try to access the drive that seem to be faulty if it doesn't appear by default. And it's a SSD I bought new barely a year ago. Perhaps the warranty is just not over yet ? (I'll have to double check)

@shadowsoftcreation : What part of the game are you talking about ? I made sure all the songs are synchronized since I did this error in version 1.0 of my FF6 patch. So I of course made sure everything was syncronoized in this update (at the price of a major downgrade in quality in the orchestral intro - but that's another problem).

It's impossible you have 30 seconds of silence at the end of the intro - the exact opposite is supposed to happen since the SNES original - the end of the intro song is cut off by the fall of a meteor and is therefore not accessible in the game. It is however accessible with the music player. This applies to both orchestral and sequenced versions, and to all regions.

It seems there is a little diffrences in delays in different languages, making the music slightly "off", but there's nothing I can do about this and this is already present in the original GBA ROM. In any case, what you mention (30 seconds of silence at the end of intro) is not possible.

@dwedit : I have no idea. I just changed the mixing code itself.

@TheZunar123 : During the zillion of experimentations I did have that exact problem at some point. However it should not appear in the version I released. The cause was the placebo BIOS of Virtual Boy Advance not being accurate enough. On real hardware or with VBA using the real BIOS, this bug would not appear. I since then made sure that even with VBA and the default placebo BIOS this problem would not appear. If it does that's really weird. You should use a real BIOS or real hardware I guess. I'd love to double check that, but my computer is giving me even more trouble than this patch's release now :(

EDIT :
@ vivify93:
I'll assume the bug you encountered is the exact same as TheZunar123 : The intro was slowed down like crazy because of the placebo BIOS, causing the music, who plays at normal pace, to finish early. In that case my answer is the same : Use an emulator with real BIOS or use real hardware

I can't even run *any* emulator right now unfortunately.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:25:57 pm by Bregalad »

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 12:26:17 pm »
I'll test the patch on real hardware tonight and see if it'll work there. From what little I've played though, the patch definitely seems an improvement. One of my major complaints was the battle theme, but you fixed it where it still sounds like SNES but doesn't have that piercing beginning. Good work!  :thumbsup:
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 01:46:00 pm »
If you know what your patch code looks like, and the hard drive still can be read from, you can DD the drive image off of it, then find your patch code.
But yeah, I always always release source code now.

shadowsofcreation

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 03:32:44 pm »
Well it's not 'impossible' because it's happening. By the time Faris shows up on screen during the intro the intro music is already completely over (with the non orchestra version of the patch). It very well could be an emulation problem but it's happening. With the orchestra version it's much closer though. Once again not a big deal, I can just stick with the orchestral version, but I'm curious if anyone else has this problem. It seems like it's happening because of the FPS fix perhaps? The game seems to lag really bad at the very beginning of the intro while the color is slowly fading from black to the image of the castle.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 04:00:27 pm »
@shadowsoftcreation : Please read the "EDIT" part of my former post if you didn't already. The music speed is not the problem - the game's speed is. (you even just said that yourself which confirms that)

I hope to release a 3.1 version that fixes those problems but that won't be anytime soon. I don't even know why VBA slows down like crazy with the placebo BIOS, nor why there is clicks in some places when dialogue windows opens.

The later problem is definitely worsened by VBA : On real hardware a click of random amplitude is happening sometimes, and you have to be unlucky to hear a loud click. On VBA the click is systematically loud.

Well I know the drive can't boot anymore but I don't know if I can still read some parts of it or not, I'll need to find another drive, install windows on it, and then try to read the old drive with this new system setup. I can boot Linux from a CD or SATA slot with the faulty drive inserted in another SATA slot, but I don't know how to try and access the suspicious SATA drive from here.

And while I have a backup it's a bit old as I did it mid-hack. I also did another very stupid error recently to my backup and I only figure that now :(
I didn't release the source but I shared it with someone so it's not definitely lost.

Advice to everyone : Avoid SSDs that are too cheap ! If at least I bought this offline I'd have a chance to have warranty, but here I'm screwed :(

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 07:32:25 pm »
My Intel SSD failed once.  It turned into an 8MB drive named BAD_CTX.  Did yours do something like that or what?

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 10:40:21 pm »
Tested the patch on more accurate GBA BIOS and on real hardware, works like a charm! Great work!  :thumbsup:

HOWEVER, I have a bug report. If you quicksave, return to the title screen, and load a real save, the title screen music keeps playing into the actual game. It fixes itself if you get into a battle, but I thought I'd mention it. Not sure if you were aware of this.

About the volume popping, I get it when I adjust the volume on my GBA, so perhaps it's just an issue with the GBA's sound hardware.

The only slight detail that bugs me is the attack sound for the knife. It sounds so static-y and corrupt, though I believe that's how it sounded on SNES so I can't fault you for that.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:47:38 pm by TheZunar123 »
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 04:05:57 am »
HOWEVER, I have a bug report. If you quicksave, return to the title screen, and load a real save, the title screen music keeps playing into the actual game. It fixes itself if you get into a battle, but I thought I'd mention it. Not sure if you were aware of this.

Thank you, no I wasn't aware. I know exactly what causes this, though. This is because I moved the "prelude" music from layer 0 to layer 1 to fix a bug where it would continue to play at the same time at the battle theme if you loaded the bestiary from the title screen. So both bugs are mutually exclusive, but there's no way to get neither. it's really weird this "works" in the GBA original, though.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 11:20:22 am »
Ah, I see. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, it's not anything game-breaking. I don't think everyone quicksaves and then loads saves all the time. I just use it for a quick reset, and since it has a simple fix I don't have any issues with it.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 11:23:15 am »
This isn't related really, but you are supposed to press A+B+Select+Start for a quick reset.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 03:07:34 pm »
Really? I did not know that. I should've thought about the game having a soft reset function, but it never crossed my mind. Thanks.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 04:34:50 pm »
My Intel SSD failed once.  It turned into an 8MB drive named BAD_CTX.  Did yours do something like that or what?
No, apparently there is just an error whenever I try to read it. This happens on both Linux and Windows so far. I can't even run a Checkdisk on it or anything.

The brand is Unigen, I'd recommend everyone to stay away from that brand as much as possible !

I should've thought about the game having a soft reset function, but it never crossed my mind.
Almost all GBA games have this function. On the NDS, it's L+R+Select+Start, and on the Playstation 1/2, it's L1+L2+R1+R2+Select+Start.

I always remember the first time I've met this doccumented was in the beginer's room in Final Fantasy VII. The game was poorly translated from Japanese to English then poorly translated form English to French, so many things made few sense.

The guy was saying in French something that would translate into "If you want to start again, press L1+L2+R1+R2+Select+Start". However, I had no idea start again what. I was getting the idea that doing this button combination would be a New Game+ feature or something. But no it was just a soft reset.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 04:43:17 pm by Bregalad »

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 01:10:17 am »
Can the disk still be read when not mounted?  HXD can open disks without mounting them, as well as reading it with dd on Linux.  Of course, if you used NTFS compression, finding files by scavenging from the disk might be out of the question.