News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Batman - Shadows of Gotham Released!!!  (Read 8505 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Batman - Shadows of Gotham Released!!!
« on: September 28, 2014, 01:29:28 pm »

Update By: Magnus Nilsson

Batman makes his way back into the 8-bit streets of Gotham City in this brand new, action packed game! There are an arsenal of weapons that Batman can obtain as he battles villians such as Scarecrow, The Riddler, and... even the Joker himself! Go grab the game now and hang on to your seat for a wild ride courtesy of Magnus Nilsson! Download Here!!!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2162/)

Clippit

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Batman - Shadows of Night Released!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 02:25:31 pm »
This is the most promising hack I've seen in months! I never played Shadow of the Ninja before, so what better chance of playing it for the first time than now. I can't wait to try it out!  :D

PD: I'm a big Natsume fan, so I'm totally looking forward to it.  :thumbsup:
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 10:24:28 pm »
Surprised that you never played Shadow of the Ninja before.  It's definitely my favorite pre-Tenchu ninja game, perhaps only closely rivaled  by the GBA's Ninja 5-0. However, the co-op gameplay in Shadow of the Ninja more than makes up for it.

The hack looks interesting. I especially like the seemingly custom art for the cutscenes, etc.

However, grammatical mistakes really kill a lot of hacks for me, and when there are mistakes in the preview screenshots, such as the lack of list comma(s) in the first screenshot on its entry page, then there are probably more within.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 01:21:56 am »
However, grammatical mistakes really kill a lot of hacks for me, and when there are mistakes in the preview screenshots, such as the lack of list comma(s) in the first screenshot on its entry page, then there are probably more within.

Not something difficult to fix though, and quite understandable if the hacker is not from an rnglish-speaking country.

In fact, your remark isn't very kind. You should feel grateful that every hacker doesn't write its creation in its own language.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 06:47:00 am »
Wasn't intended as unkind. I'm usually tolerant of grammatical mistakes by folks working outside of their native language. Should've checked that prior to posting.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 08:01:03 am »
I realize I could have been more tactful too. I'm a little sick today, it must play on my mood, sorry :)

contra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 09:09:20 am »
I've updated the patch.

I dont know if that's a fair assumption and in any case it's a NES action platformer with like 5 lines of text so there's not even that much room to make mistakes  :P
I could understand the critique more if the hack was text oriented such as a translation or if the game was an rpg with important text.
I can't really blame it on the fact that I'm not a native English speaker, it's more that I simply don't care about grammar that much.

However, you could argue that with so little text, the more reason to get it right and that would be absolutely correct!
I've updated the patch to include a comma and I thank you for your comments.
This hack is done and I hope you enjoy it.

pacnsacdave

• I make game hacks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 11:42:11 pm »
I posted the news of this hack because I played through and beat it, and I must say that it was a great hack. I hope to see many more great games from you!

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 12:23:24 am »
Never played nor even heard of Shadow of the Ninja until now. Must have been one of those games many overlooked. I played it a bit before trying out the hack. Very cool mod. It's amazing how this game actually lends itself to Batman.

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 12:26:52 am »
This is a bit off-topic, but... you know what game could be turned into an awesome superhero-themed game? Shatterhand! I think it could even fit Batman too... well, maybe, if the stages had darker palettes or something...
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 03:16:04 am »
I posted the news of this hack because I played through and beat it, and I must say that it was a great hack. I hope to see many more great games from you!

Please continue to do so for hacks you come across that you feel are worthy of the attention. For some reason most authors don't want to create news posts for their releases. I don't really understand why :-\
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

contra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 09:39:41 am »

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!  There's an error in the news post though if you are willing/able to change it, the hack is called Shadows of Gotham not Night  :happy:

This is a bit off-topic, but... you know what game could be turned into an awesome superhero-themed game? Shatterhand! I think it could even fit Batman too... well, maybe, if the stages had darker palettes or something...

Hah that's actually true. I might consider doing a "sequel" in the future.

pacnsacdave

• I make game hacks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 10:18:08 am »
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!  There's an error in the news post though if you are willing/able to change it, the hack is called Shadows of Gotham not Night  :happy:
Oh crap! I'm so sorry i did that. I'll edit and fix it!

September 30, 2014, 10:21:00 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
ok, apparently I can't edit it since I didn't post the news. Lol, romhacking.net
Anyway, you will have to do it and resubmit it. Once again, sorry about that!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 08:33:30 am »

Assuming it has not been updated since posting that then the lack of a comma on the last list entry is arguably standard and definitely well accepted in UK English. Indeed most would only encourage a last comma when there is risk of misinterpretation, see also "Oxford comma".
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/exercises/grammar/grammar_tutorial/page_06.htm

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
Re: ROM Hacks: Batman - Shadows of Gotham Released!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 11:38:08 am »
Must have been updated. I'm more than familiar with the Oxford comma. Originally it lacked commas entirely. Thanks for the heads up though.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 08:53:04 am »
Shatterhand was originally a licensed game in Japan.

Megafield64

• Animate Your World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 10:23:51 pm »
This hack looks awesome.  I'm going to have to give it a try.
Making games easier, one romhack at a time.