News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Site: RHDN Going Down for Upgrades  (Read 9347 times)

RHDNBot

Site: RHDN Going Down for Upgrades
« on: October 02, 2006, 04:42:24 pm »
This is an automated message generated by Romhacking.net's RHDNBot.

Update By: Nightcrawler

This is an announcement that you may notice periods of time when the site is inaccessible or having intermittent connections. I plan on doing several semi-big server upgrades over the next few days whenever I have some spare time to do them. I may start as early as tonight. Read on for the details...

Some of the big upgrades that could attribute to problems with the site will of course be upgrading to the Apache 2 series webserver, PHP 5, and MySQL 5. We will also be undergoing a few security updates for other secondary software running here.

I will be updating the board topic associated with this update along the way. If you notice any issues or problems with the site, please report them there. If you can't even reach the board, or there is catastrophic failure, don't worry about reporting it because I will already know about that! ;)

Don't worry, I've backed up the full contents of the server. In the event of catastrophic failure, I will restore the site as it was! So, let's cross our fingers and hope I don't screw it up!

OK, I'm being over dramatic. I don't think we'll have much trouble, but you never know and there's always potential for minor headaches with server upgrades.

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/)

hippiejake

• View Profile
    • Finally got my shit together!
Re: Site: RHDN Going Down for Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 06:34:25 pm »
Dammit. >:(
Let's hope there's no problems. Servers are a bitch and this one hasn't had many problems that I can see.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 06:48:38 pm »
You must not have been here long enough. ;) We had plenty of problems. Virtually NONE of which were caused by me though.

For awhile there, I was in constant battles with our provider to fix their damn server and handle the load issues that were occurring because they allowed OTHER VPS users to hog resources despite saying they don't allow that. They tried blaming the load on me saying it was my VPS causing it's own high load. I may not be an expert administrator, but I'm smart enough to figure out load issues that I am producing.

Long story short, they finally got their act together and fixed the thing up. There are still some odd occasional drop out connection issues on this site every now and then, but it appears to be network issues rather than server issues.

It's been running pretty smoothly for the past few months now at long last. This company came highly recommended to me as well. That really makes me cringe thinking about companies that are WORSE!
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 09:56:35 pm »
Well, I decided to get started tonight.

Tonight I upgraded the webserver to Apache 2. It took a hell of alot longer than anticipated due to some issues that came up with rebuilding some Apache modules. Anyway, we're back up now and at first glance, everything appears to be OK.

Step 1 down.

EDIT: I notice spell check is now gone from the board. Dammit. I knew I couldn't get off completely free. I'll fix that tomorrow. I had to recompile PHP and I forgot about the pspell library. I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I'm going to upgrade PHP anyway.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 10:02:39 pm by Nightcrawler »
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 10:20:32 pm »
Phew. Thought something was going nuts over here.

When you're done, could you do me a small favor and beat Benjamin over the head a few times for letting step57 hack the SFCCE forums? The big chicken won't answer my e-mails and has done nothing to fix it...j/k, but damn, they were probably my entire audience for my translation patch.

Guess it's a good thing I started work on Bistro Recipe and Patlabor. ^_^
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 02:16:08 pm »
Well, this afternoon I did the upgrade to PHP 5. That went pretty well aside from the fact that we still have no spellcheck on the forum. The PHP builds aren't picking up the aspell/pspell library anymore. I'm not sure why yet. I suspect a config file has been changed somewhere with some path information for it. I forget what all I had to do to get it working in the first place. I found aspell/pspell to be a pain in the ass. However, a forum with spellcheck is so worth it!  ;D

I'll probably rebuild PHP sometime today when I figure out what is wrong and why it doesn't detect the library. Then we'll have two big steps done and out of the way. After that, the only upgrade that has potential to cause any real problems is MySQL. Beyond that, the others won't affect the site much if at all as they pertain to FTP, SSH, e-mail, etc..

Almost there and nothing blew up.  ;D

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 03:25:12 pm »
Okay. We're back and running 100% I think. As you can see, spell check is back. Apache 2 was using a different system build config/script which was lacking a directive to include pspell support in all PHP builds. I had to manually add that back in.

2 out of 3 down. Not too bad. That's it for today's work.

hippiejake

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 01:39:49 am »
However, a forum with spellcheck is so worth it!  ;D

Firefox 2! ;)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 08:17:23 am »
However, a forum with spellcheck is so worth it!  ;D

Firefox 2! ;)

News Flash.. THERE ARE OTHER BROWSERS BESIDES FIREFOX 2!  8)

Suzaku

• Job change!
    • View Profile
    • Studio Llama
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 08:48:47 am »
Well, yeah. The original Firefox, for example  ;D

*runs away very, very quickly*

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 02:32:43 pm »
I finished all the remaining upgrades today. Almost every piece of software we use on the server was updated. Generally, it seems to have reduced load and sped things by a marginal amount, not to mention gives us a much needed security upgrade on everything.

I choose not to move to MySQL5 in the end due to several big differences and issues to have to watch out for that I'm not interested in dealing with. :) Not to mention, I'd be primarily upgrading for speed rather than many of the new features. From a development standpoint, the 4.1.x series offers everything we need. They are supposed to be making a better upgrade program when MySQL 5.1 is released. I'll re-evaluate at a later date and time. I did upgrade to the latest 4.1.x series release though.

So rejoice, no more downtime/interruptions, and no catastrophic failure!  8)

Suzaku

• Job change!
    • View Profile
    • Studio Llama
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 03:10:53 pm »
*rejoices*

*also notes that the spell check button remains*

*cheers*

*falls over*

hippiejake

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 01:36:53 am »
Awesome!!! :D

News Flash.. THERE ARE OTHER BROWSERS BESIDES FIREFOX 2!  8)

Anything except IE is good:

• Opera
  • Firefox
  • Mozilla or any branch thereof[K-Meleon, Camino, SeaMonkey, etc.]
  • Konqueror
  • Netscape Navigator[dead?]
  • Lynx
  • Apple Safari

Anything I missed? :P

Kitsune Sniper

• Complaining about mods == trolling, whee
    • View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 02:00:34 am »
Netscape Navigator isn't dead. It's just an ancient version of Mozilla with a ton of extra crap (Winamp, RealPlayer and I dunno what else.)

And IE's cool if you're not stupid enough to click on viruses or dialers. :P
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 02:15:38 am »
And IE's cool if you're not stupid enough to click on viruses or dialers. :P
What about the times when IE does that for you?

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

hippiejake

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 03:06:48 am »
if you're not stupid enough to click on viruses or dialers. :P

Code: [Select]
<a href="fakeURL.htm" onclick="window.location='realURL.htm'; return false;">Click here</a>
Now you can have a link that points to a clean site, but actually takes you wherever it wants! :P

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile

hippiejake

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2006, 01:21:14 am »