News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Utilities: Red Falcon 1.0 Released  (Read 3938 times)

RHDNBot

Utilities: Red Falcon 1.0 Released
« on: May 30, 2015, 03:19:43 am »

Update By: Trax

First official release of Red Falcon, a level editor for the US version of Contra on the NES...

This application lets you edit all 8 levels of the game. You can add sections to extend the length of the levels. You can add, remove and edit enemy types, position and properties. You can modify the color palettes for the background and the sprites, including the cycling colors. You can also change the Green Guys Generator sequences, found in Indoor levels. Several other visual options can assist the user in level design: grids, enemy indexes, enemy outlines, enemy search, player view, etc...

It is released under Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9), but it is backwards compatible down to Mac OS X Leopard (10.5), and should work on Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10). It can be run on 32 bits and 64 bits systems...

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.bwass.org/romhack/contra)

azoreseuropa

• View Profile
Re: Utilities: Red Falcon 1.0 Released
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 07:22:05 am »
Good work. Finally to see Mac OS in it too! :D

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 03:25:29 pm »
Congratulations on your release Trax!  :thumbsup:

releasethedogs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 03:31:15 pm »
Finally OSX gets some love. thanks.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 01:58:46 pm »
Thanks guys. I wish I could do more for cross-platform functionality, but learning a new API is very time consuming. After all the time I spent in the developement of Red Falcon, I can see there is a lot of technical details needed to render the levels correctly and save them in a coherent way...

My source code is always at the disposition of whoever wants to give it a try. And of course, I offer my help anytime to anyone who wants to know about data tables, array formats, algorithms, level quirks, drawing methods, etc...

Megafield64

• Animate Your World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 09:03:43 pm »
Is there any chance for a Windows release?
Making games easier, one romhack at a time.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 10:47:59 pm »
From me, close to zero. But if anyone needs tips and data offsets, I'll gladly help. Anyone can download my own disassembly of the ROM, with comments, on my Red Falcon web page. Other than that, unless I can find a way to convert my work to another platform with minimal effort, I'll stick to what I know and go on with my other projects...