News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: New Translations Added to the Database  (Read 2725 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: New Translations Added to the Database
« on: March 29, 2016, 10:20:55 pm »

Update By: RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net's RHDNBot.

The following Translations have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest), mostly addendum patches resubmitted under its proper section:

Relevant Link

kristigurl

• View Profile
Re: Translations: New Translations Added to the Database
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 08:16:02 pm »
Just wanted to point out that the first Final Fantasy II patch and both Final Fantasy V patches are game play hacks and are only related to translations in that they need the translation to run.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 08:32:22 pm »
Just wanted to point out that the first Final Fantasy II patch and both Final Fantasy V patches are game play hacks and are only related to translations in that they need the translation to run.
Simply put,
*Hacks of Translations -> Translations Section; i.e. if you reused someone else's translation hack as base or you made an improvement/bugfix (addendum) patch based on it.

*Translations of Hacks -> Hacks Section, e.g. supposedly someone wants to translate Rockman 4 Minus Infinity to Spanish, this translation of a hack falls under Hacks Section.

See related thread

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 06:58:19 am »
I think kristigurl is sort of right though.

That related thread is about translation fixes to translations, so their purpose is to add to the translation. Like FF2 Original Titlescreen, Final Fantasy VI RPGOne Alt Menu Font etc here.

Some of the listed ones here are pure hacks (Final Fantasy II Rebalanced, Strategic Battle patch etc) that happen to require the translation as a base, so they do not add to the translation part of the work, even if they would require that work in their patching instructions.

It even varies whether these need a J version or a patched translation as a base.. seems messy.

edit: I think the cleanest way to deal with this is a purist approach where the translation section is kept safe from all hacks, at most allowing isolated (from other additions) translation fix patches to the translation section.. but maybe that's just me.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 07:34:30 am »
Some of the listed ones here are pure hacks (Final Fantasy II Rebalanced, Strategic Battle patch etc) that happen to require the translation as a base, so they do not add to the translation part of the work, even if they would require that work in their patching instructions.
Such hacks will inevitably translate the game one way or another.

Anyways, new submissions that will fall under these circumstances will be sorted in the proper sections. Old hacks will probably "grandfathered" until further notice since we found a lot of hacks that has these issues. Too troublesome to resectioning all of them. :-X

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 07:59:32 am »
Yes, they will technically translate the game (edit: Wait, you tricked me! they won't translate the game if they need the translated game as a base, silly me). But I think it is a technicality just like how 6502 asm is a technicality or patching instructions are a technicality for someone playing the hack - irrelevant to their purposes.

In other words, if I want to browse hacks, I go to the hacks section. Then the hacks in the translation section would be hidden from me.

If I want to browse translations, I go to the translations section. I expect it to contain translations, and I'll check which one is the finished one/best one and use that. It may be that the best translation is a translation fix that contains the original translation as a base. Or it may be that there is an important fix hidden somewhere that functions as an addendum to the translation (doesn't necessarily matter much in which section - the best way to find it would be having it linked to from the translation page).

Well, your interpretation will of course work, but it will result in a rather ugly classification IMO.

edit2: to clarify, one of the root issues i can see here is that a hack may not work or is untested with anything else except a specified translation. in practise that hack is then unavailable in other languages than english. that doesn't mean it translates the game.. it is just incompatible/untested with the base game or some other translations.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:14:46 am by STARWIN »