News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Utilities: MAGE - A Metroid Advance Game Editor  (Read 6450 times)

RHDNBot

Utilities: MAGE - A Metroid Advance Game Editor
« on: July 02, 2016, 01:24:28 am »

Update By: ShadowOne333

User biospark has released a comprehensive editor for both Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission for the GBA.

This utility allows you to edit levels, tilesets, graphics, sprites, maps, weapons, text, and much, much more. It currently work for the USA (U) releases of both games.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

John Enigma

• View Profile
Re: Utilities: MAGE - A Metroid Advance Game Editor
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 02:24:27 pm »
Does that mean that is possible to do these hack ideas:
5. Metroid II: Return of Samus remade using the Metroid: Zero Mission engine, if it’s possible. I know what you people are thinking: there’s already an existing Metroid II remake, THAT ALSO USES METROID: ZERO MISSION ASSETS. I know. Is really awesome. But I found out that this remake was being made for PC’s. Funny story, because when I first saw some screenshots and a some gameplay videos, I thought it was a rom hack. But I was wrong. So I figured, “what if someone had the guts to remake Metroid II for GBA”?

6. The same as the one above me but for Super Metroid. Yes, Super Metroid. Imagine that: Super Metroid remade using either the Metroid: Zero Mission or Metroid Fusion engine. It would be really fun.
using this tool (MAGE)?

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 04:04:20 pm »
Return of Samus would be more difficult to do due to the enemies.
However, I think a Super Metroid remake in the style of Zero Mission would be feasible and surely a nice project.

I'd love to see that happen.

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 05:26:29 pm »
I love Metroid. Has anyone ever though of remaking Metroid II from a hack of Metroid 1 on NES? I guess the enemies and bosses might be an issue right? That sounds like a project I might like to try some day.

Because one of the main things I always couldn't stand about Metroid II on Gameboy was how the screen was displaying much less of an area it looked too zoomed in like you can't even see anything around the player character. Remaking it on NES could totally fix that problem . .
Come with me if you want to live.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 09:10:36 pm »
^What I didn't like about Metroid II: Return of Samus is that the status bar was down, instead of up, like the original Metroid.

It also didn't have a map function.

And, afaik, Nintendo didn't even bothered on making a DX version of Metroid II. Hell, they didn't even bother on remaking the game for the Game Boy Advance. That would've been sweet.

Thank God for AM2R.

biospark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 04:22:49 am »
You could certainly remake the maps of Metroid II and Super Metroid, but you'd have to create the enemies yourself, which would be very difficult. Also, you'd have to reimplement the event system to account for killing the Metroids in Metroid II or the events in SM.

That being said, I'd be way more interested in seeing completely original hacks. It would be nice to explore a completely new world, not just one borrowed from an existing game.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 05:12:54 pm »
Metroid 2 in Zero Mission style has been in development for nine years. You can find it here:
http://metroid2remake.blogspot.nl/

I cannot understand how anyone who knows about Metroid doesn't know about AM2R...
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 09:51:08 pm »
^I did. Why do you think I said "Thank God for AM2R.", way up there?

Another Metroid 2 Remake is nice. Heck, I downloaded the 1.41 demo, and started playing it.

Is hella fun. But like I said in one of my quotes, this is a PC fan game. If someone were to remake Metroid II for the GBA, so we can play it on the go, I would be even more happy.

But to me, that'll always be a (pipe) dream.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 10:29:33 pm »
Metroid 2 in Zero Mission style has been in development for nine years. You can find it here:
http://metroid2remake.blogspot.nl/

I cannot understand how anyone who knows about Metroid doesn't know about AM2R...
^I did. Why do you think I said "Thank God for AM2R.", way up there?

Another Metroid 2 Remake is nice. Heck, I downloaded the 1.41 demo, and started playing it.

Is hella fun. But like I said in one of my quotes, this is a PC fan game. If someone were to remake Metroid II for the GBA, so we can play it on the go, I would be even more happy.

But to me, that'll always be a (pipe) dream.
As John said, it's not that we are unaware of AM2R.
The thing is that AM2R is currently for PC made with Game Maker and it's also closed source at the moment.
Which means that in the upcoming months when the game is released, we will be locked into playing it in a PC, while many of us would love to be able to play a Metroid II remake on a console (Wii in my case) or portable device (N3DS in my case too).

If the project became open source, then there could be a possibility to port it to either Wii U/Wii or 3DS as a homebrew game for those console, given the currently available tools for each system.

I'm more for the idea of porting Super Metroid to the GBA engine though. xD
I still wish there was a hack for vanilla Super Metroid that modifies the physics of the game to change them to that of Super Metroid Redesign, the physics in that hack are the closest to the GBA games that I have seen.

RustyJet2000

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 03:46:06 pm »
i had a dream lately (June 16, 2016) about "metroid fusion 2" coming out and me being one of the beta testers. i can't tell you how excited i am to see this editor. for years i have searched for hacks of this game only to find out we weren't able to hack it... but now we can. i look forward to all the cool hacks from this game  :thumbsup:
its also going to be cool to see zero mission hacks as well.

(yes i know of the project "X-fusion" and i'm excited for that game too.. but i really want metroid fusion hacks.)

thank you Biospark  :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 12:42:48 am by RustyJet2000 »

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 12:25:14 am »
Holy Crap!

This is so AWESOME that I ran out of words to describe just how wonderful it is!

For the longest time I have been dying for a program that will allow me to remove those pesky Certain Laser Blocks out of existence, and play the game like the original Nes version where you could go anywhere you want without any road blocks.

This is incredible and it works with Fusion too!

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Trivial man

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 01:13:11 am »
This tool is pretty great, but is there any way to assign pop-up text to a room? Like how when you enter a save room it displays SAVE ROOM in the middle of the screen? I'd like to give instructions to the player when they enter a room in a hack I'm working on with this tool and I've about pulled my hair out trying to figure out if this is even possible.

Blank_User

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 01:17:54 pm »
The idea of re-creating the Metroid 2 using this tool is interesting. Specially most people prefer to play on their phones or tablets. The problem is not only you need to make your own sprites of the enemies. You would also need to replace the cutscenes.

But it would be nice if we can play it on the go. ;)

Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 08:04:06 am »
um has anyone made any mods yet with this?

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 08:20:18 pm »
It's still relatively new. People are certainly playing around with it, but it's gonna take some time.