News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: And We're the Game Grumps!  (Read 8511 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: And We're the Game Grumps!
« on: September 07, 2016, 08:22:02 pm »

Update By: MowseChao

Game Grumps is a Let's Play channel staring Arin Hanson and Dan Avidan with a total of 3.5 million subscribers to date. Upon a request from one of the hosts, a group of very dedicated fans created a hack of Kirby's Dream Course. The hack evidently shows a lot of love and shows what a dedicated fanbase can produce. The hack contains a whopping total of 152 for hours of fun!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

xnamkcor

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: And We're the Game Grumps!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 10:35:28 pm »
The hack contains a whopping total of 152 for hours of fun!

You accidentally the word "boards"?

shadowmanwkp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 03:30:40 am »
You accidentally the word "boards"?

Seems like it, the hack description is talking about 152 boards:

This all started over a year ago when Danny requested DLC for Kirby’s Dream Course. We’re here to deliver with 152 whole boards!

Shiryu

• No Surrender, No Retreat.
    • View Profile
    • Shiryu Music
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 05:35:55 am »
This is absolutely fantastic work. I actually submitted a news post for this at Nintendo Life last week, but sadly policies within the website regarding NSFW languange meant it went unpublished. Excellent work from everyone who helped make this a reality. I am quite enjoying the episodes with it as well. :thumbsup:

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 10:55:50 am »
but sadly policies within the website regarding NSFW languange meant it went unpublished.
You mean the 7 asses? That's considered NSFW language now?

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 11:18:21 am »
Fuck Game Grumps.
No more idols.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 01:49:11 pm »
You mean the 7 asses? That's considered NSFW language now?

They may be trying to emulate the era in which "damn" was a big deal.

Mowse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 03:56:19 pm »
I actually submitted a news post for this at Nintendo Life last week, but sadly policies within the website regarding NSFW languange meant it went unpublished.

So the game being discussed can't have any NSFW language?

It's pretty minor. I wouldn't mind making a separate "work safe" patch if it really mattered to that many people.

Also thanks for the compliment!

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 04:29:23 pm »
Aw yeah gonna play dis hack with ma punkin-shaped hiney know whaddamean?
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 04:34:56 pm »
So the game being discussed can't have any NSFW language?

It's pretty minor. I wouldn't mind making a separate "work safe" patch if it really mattered to that many people.

Also thanks for the compliment!

The prospect of making the game work-safe, but inevitable rabbit hole leading to watching the Grumps amuses me.

treos

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 08:15:51 pm »
They may be trying to emulate the era in which "damn" was a big deal.

with how rampant political correctness is these days, what isn't considered NSFW language? and if that's not the case now then how long until it is?

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 10:35:05 pm »
with how rampant political correctness is these days, what isn't considered NSFW language? and if that's not the case now then how long until it is?

6969?

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 12:42:20 am »
Pretty sure they're going for a Nintendo Power type deal(Though probably not inspired by it) where everything is as "kiddie friendly" as possible. Kiddie friendly=friendly to advertisers who have always been massive pussies(A lot of why TV in the US in the 1950s was so sterilized was to appeal to them) See what Youtube is trying to do to desperately attract as many advertisers as possible. When people all over political spectrums, topics and styles of making videos are getting hit, you know advertisers are at the core of this in some way. The Nintendo Life thing is almost certainly the same way. Nintendo is considered a kid friendly brand and has been since the 80s. As such, advertisers are gonna have certain guidelines on sites that interact with Nintendo to this much of an extent, even if the interaction is unofficial. Doubly so, I imagine, for sites with Nintendo literally in their name.

Sometimes the simplest answer is to look to history and see what patterns are repeating. Seems like this is the pattern that is repeating here.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 01:21:19 am »
I wouldn't mind making a separate "work safe" patch if it really mattered to that many people.

No, don't encourage their bad behavior.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Real_Character

• Restricted Access
  • A 16-bit character in a 2-bit world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 08:00:05 am »
Someone old enough to rom hack likes game grumps? That's odd. I think they are annoying, like the lesser pewdypie. I can tolerate continue show or even mike and bootsy plays, but that's my limit.

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 11:06:42 am »
Someone old enough to rom hack likes game grumps? That's odd. I think they are annoying, like the lesser pewdypie. I can tolerate continue show or even mike and bootsy plays, but that's my limit.

Petty insults against youth aside, this was done as a community using a level editor with a pretty friendly GUI. It's completely possible any of the "hacking" was done by random third party people and the "people who like Game Grumps" didn't have anything to do with "hacking".

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 03:36:50 pm »
Looks cool from the pics, but 15mb+ for a Kirby Dream Course hack isn't worth waiting for my caveman internets to download. Any chance there's an alternative download without the .PDF files?

PARTY LIKE IT'S 1998.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 04:41:42 pm »
Looks cool from the pics, but 15mb+ for a Kirby Dream Course hack isn't worth waiting for my caveman internets to download. Any chance there's an alternative download without the .PDF files?

PARTY LIKE IT'S 1998.

Go to your local public library and party like it's 2006?

Josephine Lithius

• :)
    • View Profile
    • JosephineLithius @ Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2016, 03:05:32 am »
Watched the first episode of the Game Grumps Vs. series for this. (It's in the relevant link.)  All I have to say is... they're not very good at this game.

That aside, the ROM hack looks pretty great.  An alternate download without the bloat of the PDF would be nice though, since it's just fan fluff and a walk-through for the 152 holes.  Don't get me wrong...  It's very clear that a lot of love went into making that faux manual and strategy guide, between the art, screen shots, and story.  But the game itself tells you the story and you shouldn't need a strategy guide unless you're absolutely stuck.  And of course... sometimes, you just want to play a ROM hack.  Not wait around for a download to finish or wade through supplementary information.

A version of the hack for other regions of the game might also be nice, since this one only works on Kirby Bowl (Japanese region), according to the hack info.
I'm not that hard to find... if you know where to look.
-=( http://josephinelithius.tumblr.com )=-

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 03:19:12 am »
http://revenant1.net/GrumpsDreamCourse.zip

Here's the patch by itself for people who want a smaller download.

A version of the hack for other regions of the game might also be nice, since this one only works on Kirby Bowl (Japanese region), according to the hack info.

There was a reason for that: the "All Courses" menu is an edit of the Japanese version's debug level select, and the Japanese version of the game had several unused courses that were used to accommodate more new stages. (Also, the English versions have no intro sequence!)