News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: "Pac-Man Xtreme" Officially Released  (Read 4107 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: "Pac-Man Xtreme" Officially Released
« on: September 18, 2016, 02:21:30 am »

Update By: KaBooM!

On September 17 2016, after eleven long years of hard work, ROMhacker "KaBooM!" finally releases "Pac-Man Xtreme". A ROMhack of the Namco version of Ms. Pac-Man for the Nintendo NES, it is much more than a simple maze/level hack. Pac-Man Xtreme introduces new features, functions, and options which make playing it a truly unique experience. Almost every single aspect of the original Ms. Pac-Man game has been altered… graphics, sounds and music, levels, even gameplay mechanics. In essence, Pac-Man Xtreme is a new commercial-quality game reprogrammed around Ms. Pac-Man’s engine and is thus virtually unrecognizable from its predecessor.

Some of the most notable new features are the inclusion of working vertical tunnels, randomly vanishing mazes, all-new original levels, new original sound effects and music, four different stage progression modes, tons of selectable game options, and the brand new ability to cast relocation spells upon all characters in the level at once moving them to more advantageous positions within the maze.

Please visit Pac-Man Xtreme's RHDN project page for a full list of all features and changes. The "Pac-Man Xtreme - File Package", downloadable from that page, contains the required .IPS patches as well as loads of extra supplemental material and documentation.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

xnamkcor

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: "Pac-Man Xtreme" Officially Released
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 03:45:49 am »
Didn't individual release articles used to come before the article with multiple releases?

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 03:49:43 am »
It sounds like a pretty extensive hack, congratulations on the release!   :beer:

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 07:09:11 am »
Looks like a really extensive hack. Must have put alot of work into it.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 07:05:26 pm »
The link doesnt work for me (windows 10 and chrome), either prompts what program to use for opening it on the front page, or takes me to my gmail from this thread.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

KaBooM!

• Bestower Of Blue Bombs, Emissary Of Enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 09:00:54 pm »
The link doesnt work for me (windows 10 and chrome), either prompts what program to use for opening it on the front page, or takes me to my gmail from this thread.

Hello. Are you trying to download it from the "Relevant Link" or from the related "RHDN Project Page"? I linked the "Relevant Link" to my E-mail address because I didn't have a separate website. Go to the project page itself and scroll down and click "Download" under the links section. I just tested it to be sure, it's working fine for me. Hope that helps.  :thumbsup:
I do things in the manner in which I do them because doing so makes perfect sense to me. Whether or not this makes sense to others or follows the status quo is completely irrelevant. My own personal perceptions, therefore, do and shall always represent the colorful reality in which I believe I live.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 10:29:23 am »
Oh ok, yeah I got it from the project page later. I've played a few levels and it seems like a really well made hack :)

"Four Stage progression play modes: Linear, Singular, Random A, and Random B."
"Brand new characters including Pac-Xavier, with classic characters returning."
Am I supposed to be able to select between these in the menu?

I haven't played the original NES game but I would prefer to be able to change Pac's speed in-game like in the MD/GEN game as I often die to getting stuck or missing paths repeatedly, but maybe I'm in the minority there.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

KaBooM!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 01:40:00 pm »
Glad you're enjoying the game. Thanks for the compliments.   :thumbsup:

Either the Linear, Singular, Random A, or Random B mode can be selected when the cursor is in the "Start" position. SELECT, START, A, and B all act as buttons to begin the game, and the mode you activate will depend on which button you used to start:

SELECT - Singular: Play one Stage for the entire game.

START - Linear: Normal stage progression.

A - Random A: Play begins on selected Stage, every Stage afterward is chosen randomly.

B - Random B: Game ignores selected Stage and chooses random Stages throughout the game from the very beginning.

You can choose the starting Stage in "Start" mode on the title screen by pressing Up or Down to cycle through them.

The "brand new characters" I referred to in the manual are Pac-Xavier, Noxious Stinky, and Wayward George. Speedy Pinky and Bashful Inky are the classic characters who are returning. You can only play as Pac-Xavier, of course. ;)

A manual speed control, you say? Hmmm...  ;) 8)
I do things in the manner in which I do them because doing so makes perfect sense to me. Whether or not this makes sense to others or follows the status quo is completely irrelevant. My own personal perceptions, therefore, do and shall always represent the colorful reality in which I believe I live.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 03:17:06 pm »
I imagine Pac Xavier is playable by player 2? Also, for manual speed control he means like Ms. pacman on SNES/Genesis. Press a button to go faster. It can either be a toggle button or you can choose to hold it down and only go faster while it is held down.

KaBooM!

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 05:43:51 pm »
I imagine Pac Xavier is playable by player 2? Also, for manual speed control he means like Ms. pacman on SNES/Genesis. Press a button to go faster. It can either be a toggle button or you can choose to hold it down and only go faster while it is held down.

I thought about implementing a manual speed control a few years ago but I guess I was worried it would make the game too easy. Giving the player four speed options at the start was sort of my excuse to not have to implement that and thought it would be a good compromise that would still preserve the challenge.

That's not to say that the functionality to implement that feature up front isn't in place, it certainly is. After the dust settled and the smoke cleared I only had a small amount of spare ROM space left. If demand is high enough for a manual speed control I may include it as a standard feature in a future release.

BTW... Pac-Xavier is the character Player 1 controls. There is no Player 2 option in Pac-Man Xtreme. I had to get rid of it to make room for a lot of my hot mess. ;) 

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 10:51:51 am »
This looks amazeballs!  I'll be setting this up as soon as I can.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 07:42:31 am »
I can't seem to download it. I've copy-pasted the download verification code, but every time it seems to think I'm not a human.

Is there any other place where this patch can be downloaded?

NoOneee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 08:17:09 am »
I can't seem to download it. I've copy-pasted the download verification code, but every time it seems to think I'm not a human.

Is there any other place where this patch can be downloaded?

It shouldn't ask for a verification code if you are logged in.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 10:18:14 am »
Problem solved! Thank you, NoOneee.

I've now tried the game, and let me say that it is really intense! That Xtreme in the title is well deserved! Level memorization seems doubly important here, and the mazes are so intricate! My only regret is that I'm playing using a really cheap game pad, and it's simply not responsive enough to play the game in a way that's even remotely reliable. (It's good enough for RPGs, but that's all.)

Thanks for a great patch, though. Once I get a better controller, I'm definitely coming back for more!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 10:32:04 am by Tommy »