News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Lunatic Dawn: Passage of the Book Translation  (Read 3356 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Lunatic Dawn: Passage of the Book Translation
« on: October 21, 2016, 07:34:34 am »

Update By: MeshGearFox

This is an English translation of Artdink's Lunatic Dawn: Passage of the Book, which serves as a sequel/remake to Lunatic Dawn: Book of Futures, the translation of which was released here some months back.

Originally released for Windows PCs in 1997, Lunatic Dawn: Passage of the Book is open world dungeon crawler, somewhat along the lines of MicroProse's classic RPG Darklands, but with some unique (and uniquely Artdink) twists of its own. For instance, the primary translator for this project, Helly, noted situations in which your party members could get annoyed with you, leave your party, start doing quests on their own, get married and have children, and take out some of the bosses instead of you.

Updated to run on modern PCs around 2007, it was finally made available to Western audiences via Steam in early 2015, albeit in an untranslated state. This project started shortly thereafter to rectify the lack of a translation for the Steam version.

While this translation is still being regarded as a beta -- there are a lot of random elements, obscure events, and, as noted above, things that can go off the rails, all of which complicate testing -- it should be fully playable.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

getter77

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Lunatic Dawn: Passage of the Book Translation
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 08:03:27 am »
Nice---congrats on knocking out yet another in the series!   :beer:   Wild to think there's actually a greater than zero chance at this point, after all these years, that the entire forgotten series can get out there in English.

2015-2016 fan translation scene has been immensely encouraging and the year isn't even quite done yet!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 02:43:04 pm by getter77 »

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 05:00:58 pm »
Well done! Looking forward to 3rd book!  :thumbsup: :beer:

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 05:37:31 pm »
Third Book should be pretty doable -- the script has a lot of overlap with PotB, and it's stored in a resource file that I found a compressor/decompressor for (courtesy of some Korean guy whose name I don't, unfortunately, know!) So hopefully a huge chunk of the game could be knocked out quickly by just dumping PotB's script into the resource file, and then making the same hacks I did to PotB to expand the item description wnidow and change how text shadowing works.

I want to hold off on that for a bit, though, because I'm hoping some people actually play PotB and point out typos/mistranslations/etc., so that they can be fixed prior to porting the script over.

I should also point out that Degica's having a weekend sale, so Passage of the Book is half off at the time of writing (search on Artdink, though. Searching for Lunatic Dawn only turns up 1/2/3. Passage of the Book is the one with the kind of reddish thumbnail and is cheaper).

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 06:33:31 pm »
I wish the company would add LD IV and 3rd Book to steam. It would be great to get a fan base going with the series.

treos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 07:32:09 pm »
"For instance, the primary translator for this project, Helly, noted situations in which your party members could get annoyed with you, leave your party, start doing quests on their own, get married and have children, and take out some of the bosses instead of you."

O_O woah, not sure if i've ever seen something quite like that in a game before. if i give this a try, i'll have to be careful not to upset my characters then.

though, then again, it maybe interesting to test and see how far that could play out. lol could my characters, who chose to leave, beat the game before i, the player, manage to do so? and if they can, how might that affect the ending?

that certainly sounds quite interesting.

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 01:08:37 pm »
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I just wanted to post out that this has had numerous updates (including one that was just submitted and should hopefully go through in the next 24 hours?) since release to resolve various crashes, translation issues, and to add keyboard movement in dungeons.