News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: 46 Okunen Monogatari: The Shinkaron is now in English as E.V.O.: The Theory of Evolution!  (Read 9579 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: kuoushi

On July 15th, 1993, the cult classic action platformer E.V.O.: Search for Eden was released to North American audiences on the SNES. This game about evolution was actually a spiritual sequel to a darker, weirder, and more story-driven Japanese RPG released by ENIX for the PC-98: 46 Okunen Monogatari: THE Shinkaron.

Both games have the same basic premise. Evolve or die. The evolution aspect of this first game in the E.V.O. series, however, works a little differently than its successor. You evolve into entirely different, sometimes real, sometimes imaginary creatures rather than upgrade specific parts of your body.

After a little over a year of work, 46 OkuMen is proud to announce the release of a full English translation of...

E.V.O.: The Theory of Evolution!

We hope you enjoy it.

- 46 OkuMen Homepage
- Project Page

One small note, PC-98 emulation is far from perfect at the moment so we recommend you play using Neko Project 2 (np2fmgen) to play the game.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

getter77

• View Profile
2016 has been one of the craziest years period when it comes to projects of all sorts getting completed on here---nice!   :beer:

Kookaburra

• View Profile
I saw a playthrough of this game last year on Nicovideo after discovering that there was another game that shared the SNES E.V.O.'s Japanese title.

The game has its doleful, and silly, scenes, and the final era was peculiar for its desperate quality.

Thanks very much for the translation. I had no idea there was one in the works.  Now I get the opportunity to understand what's being said :)

bertraze

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Has anyone else figured out patching the user disk? I've got the FDI files, and the B disk patches worked just fine, but when I try to patch the user disk, I get "xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT". I'm not sure what I need to do to be able to correct the error.

kuoushi

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • 46 OkuMen
Make sure you've got the latest version of the patch (available from the project page above) and try again. We've had some vague issues supporting the different formats of the game, but that particular one should be fixed now.

Edit: Upon further inspection, the problem stems from the fact that there are multiple different user disks around because you have to make one in order to play the game in the first place. This means the various disks around the internet will be more difficult to support. We'll see what we can figure out to remedy this problem, but for now, the HDM and HDI versions are more standardized and more easily supported.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:25:00 pm by kuoushi »

Griever_GF

• View Profile
Good news! We need more PC-98 tranlations, Mugen no Shinzou series for example (ancestor of Dragon Quest)