News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: 3x3 Eyes: Juuma Houkan English translation  (Read 5592 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: 3x3 Eyes: Juuma Houkan English translation
« on: January 29, 2017, 10:07:37 am »

Update By: Atomizer_Zero

This is a complete English translation of the Super Famicom game, 3x3 Eyes:Juuma Houkan. This is a side-scrolling action adventure game, similar in style to clock tower.

You play as Yakumo, who has to investigate in various places throughout the world to find and stop the Dragon Masters plans.

The game features 2 paths you can take, which gives some replayability. It has some combat sections and some puzzles and even a little bit of platforming.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
Re: Translations: 3x3 Eyes: Juuma Houkan English translation
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 12:25:42 pm »
Thank you for this. Finally I'll get to know what this curious game is all about. :thumbsup:

Hats off to Atomizer_Zero! And of course to all who helped, especially mkwong98 (the one who translated the script!).
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 09:49:25 am »
Thanks! Always nice to see more Super Famicom translations. :)

thepatrickinator

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 03:27:39 pm »
It's amazing having English translations of video games that were originally exclusive to Japan.

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 07:25:06 pm »
It's amazing having English translations of video games that were originally exclusive to Japan.

It is, and it is a very solid hack/translation but sadly, for a not very good game.  The game is short and not well balanced.  I beat it in 3 hours but found that by the last boss, I did not have enough talisman left so I could not heal.  Not wanting to lose 2 or 3 hours, I had to do something I normally never do (outside of no random encounter codes for short amounts of time), I had to cheat.  7E929209 is supposed to give Unlimited Talisman according to Ritchie but that does not work.  I would have used enough to heal.  But I had to use "Physical Strength: 7E109660" instead which did work but wish I did not have to use it.  I really just needed the talisman to heal, ugh.

The game does not give much wiggle room for talisman as far as I could tell.  Banpresto games are generally pretty simple and known for being super straightforward, for the most part.  Easy to learn but without much space to do things your own way.  No currency to find which would allow you to buy more talisman...sadly.  I think I had found 15 throughout the game which was not enough but would have been fine with 20 total. 

I would like to do this again legit, if it is possible to find 20 or more talisman.  Well, I did do it legit till the last boss.  cheap that there is no way to heal between chapters or before the last guy.  Very good talisman management is very important!

But again, nothing wrong with the hack and translation, just the game itself.

Atomizer_Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 03:40:38 am »
It is, and it is a very solid hack/translation but sadly, for a not very good game.  The game is short and not well balanced.  I beat it in 3 hours but found that by the last boss, I did not have enough talisman left so I could not heal.  Not wanting to lose 2 or 3 hours, I had to do something I normally never do (outside of no random encounter codes for short amounts of time), I had to cheat.  7E929209 is supposed to give Unlimited Talisman according to Ritchie but that does not work.  I would have used enough to heal.  But I had to use "Physical Strength: 7E109660" instead which did work but wish I did not have to use it.  I really just needed the talisman to heal, ugh.

The game does not give much wiggle room for talisman as far as I could tell.  Banpresto games are generally pretty simple and known for being super straightforward, for the most part.  Easy to learn but without much space to do things your own way.  No currency to find which would allow you to buy more talisman...sadly.  I think I had found 15 throughout the game which was not enough but would have been fine with 20 total. 

I would like to do this again legit, if it is possible to find 20 or more talisman.  Well, I did do it legit till the last boss.  cheap that there is no way to heal between chapters or before the last guy.  Very good talisman management is very important!

But again, nothing wrong with the hack and translation, just the game itself.

### This contains spoilers!!! ###

This is a very good point. Something I quickly realised while playing the game. The cheat for talismans only works if you have a talisman in your inventory at the time.

There are more talismans hidden around. Chapter 1, when you go into the underground water pathway, there's a panel on the second foot platform that you can blow up which has around 7 talismans in it. There's also about 5 you can get from the old women in the factory if you find her diary.

Something else I want to mention.. During battle, if you're lucky enough, you can beat all the bosses with just 1 round. Use Running Scale and then Shining Fang and then finish with Claw Strike. If you're lucky, the first 2 attacks will bring it down to 1/4 health, and claw strike will finish it off. You could also try doing Claw Strike first and then Running Scale and Shining Fang.

Don't forget there is a second path to take in the game... When you get to the Twins at the end of the waterway, choosing to fight or not will determine who you travel with and where you go.. so there's still another location you haven't been to yet ;)

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 06:42:12 pm »
### This contains spoilers!!! ###

This is a very good point. Something I quickly realised while playing the game. The cheat for talismans only works if you have a talisman in your inventory at the time.

There are more talismans hidden around. Chapter 1, when you go into the underground water pathway, there's a panel on the second foot platform that you can blow up which has around 7 talismans in it. There's also about 5 you can get from the old women in the factory if you find her diary.

Something else I want to mention.. During battle, if you're lucky enough, you can beat all the bosses with just 1 round. Use Running Scale and then Shining Fang and then finish with Claw Strike. If you're lucky, the first 2 attacks will bring it down to 1/4 health, and claw strike will finish it off. You could also try doing Claw Strike first and then Running Scale and Shining Fang.

Don't forget there is a second path to take in the game... When you get to the Twins at the end of the waterway, choosing to fight or not will determine who you travel with and where you go.. so there's still another location you haven't been to yet ;)

Awesome post, thanks.  The first time I played, I picked yes to fight the girls.  At the end, I was short maybe 4 or 5 talisman but had enough explosives.  In fact I had one left over with enough material to make one more, actually!

Today I played again and picked "no" to fight the girls.  This time I had a surplus of talisman, I had 10!  Even crazier, was that Before fighting the guardian in Egypt I had around 18 or 20 still!  But I was short by 1 explosive with not enough material.  In the room with the two mummies before getting to the sun and moon rooms, I had one explosive only, ugh!

So overall, I would say the game is poorly balanced and not  much room for error. I had to use Ritchies cheat 7E928209 just for one exploding can.  I did not need unlimited, just one more!  I really hate that, but what can I do?  ughh!  Maybe I missed a place for one more exploding can (I got the 5 from that one guy after beating the first boss but there does not seem to be another place to get them in the waterway or chapter 2 or 3.  Chapter 2, you need a lot more exploding cans for the "no" path than the "yes" path, which is part of the issue.  Again, slightly poor balance.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 06:47:40 pm by travel27 »

taikyoku

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 07:31:00 pm »
Not gonna lie, you're saying far more about yourself than about the game.

Thanks to Atomizer_Zero and the crew for the translation, the 3x3 Eyes games always intrigued me. The first SFC one seems like it has more going on than this second SFC one, strangely enough.

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 08:37:49 pm »
Not gonna lie, you're saying far more about yourself than about the game.

um, ok?  Being honest about the game......

Real_Character

• Restricted Access
  • A 16-bit character in a 2-bit world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 03:28:45 am »
Looks like a fine game, at least very nice looking. I'll have to wait and see, but if someone says they 'beat it in 3 hrs' and used cheats, they didn't really beat it, did they?

I was a fan of the series, so I remember trying a rom of this in the early days of emulation and getting lost. Still looks great but it does seem a little cumbersome to play.

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 04:53:16 pm »
Looks like a fine game, at least very nice looking. I'll have to wait and see, but if someone says they 'beat it in 3 hrs' and used cheats, they didn't really beat it, did they?

I was a fan of the series, so I remember trying a rom of this in the early days of emulation and getting lost. Still looks great but it does seem a little cumbersome to play.
Cheats with an S?  No, A CHEAT.  Difference.

I did really beat it.  I used a cheat to give myself one extra exploding can on the second playthrough.  Actually try playing it before saying anything, because the number of resources is not generous at all regardless of path taken. Path 2 you may very well not have enough exploding cans at the end...

If you take more than 4 or 5 hours...well....not my fault, it is not a hard game, just stingy with giving the player resources.

Lashiec

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 03:54:33 pm »
Even without cheats, it's a short and pretty easy game. The only "challenge" is seeing your battle plan ruined by the enemy random attacks. And I wonder what travel27 is doing with explosives, as you don't need to use that many through the game.

Thanks for this, Atomizer_Zero. Shame the game didn't live up to the potential hinted on Kowloon, though. At some points, it feels like a quick cash grab, especially through the "non-violent" path.
tl;dr: I'm talking out of my behind and you should not listen to me

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 04:06:49 pm »
what I am doing with the explosives is killing plant creatures in the Nepal Magic Forest and the mummies in chapter 3 Egypt.  I was one short...is there somewhere that I missed to get more??  Otherwise, aside from lack of one resource, it is an easy game.  I found the battles to be super easy.

Lashiec

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 04:22:17 pm »
You can jump over the forest creatures in Nepal, although it requires some finesse timing your jumps.

Spoiler:
Regarding explosives, resources for them are replenished through the factory in Chapter 1 after the manager makes you new ones, so you can harvest as many as you like before meeting the twins.
tl;dr: I'm talking out of my behind and you should not listen to me

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 04:55:24 pm »
shoot, I did not try to jump over them...I tried to jump over that last mummy however, several times, but never could...and tried to run through him/her when blinking, but could not.