News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Zelda: Link to the Past Gets Much Harder! And That's Not All!  (Read 31511 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Moulinoski

With the purchase of the pre-order of The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker, a "hard-type" version of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was included. It was titled Master Quest. It was the same story with different dungeons, usually harder.

I took this concept and adapted it to The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Using Hyrule Magic, I have changed the dungeons around, making them harder than they were before, and I have also toughened up bosses by filling their arenas with obstacles, usually dangerous ones, or ones that will impede your immediate attack on the boss. (Look forward to the battle with Business Man Arrghus!)

The .zip file contains bonuses like changing The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past's Link to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time's Link!

(NOTE: The readme says that there's only two holes that lead to a debug room. I had forgotten about another hole, in the sanctuary that may also lead to a debug room. Either way, these holes are trivial and the player must be brain-dead to fall into them since the holes only appear at very safe places)

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/170/)

Destro

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Zelda: Link to the Past Gets Much Harder! And That's Not All!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 10:02:09 pm »
The 3rd pic in the screenshots has an invalid filename/link and isn't showing up.

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 11:48:37 pm »
It would be appreciated if you wouldn't require headers on the ROMs.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 05:53:41 am »

Psst...You're talking to a bot.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 05:55:37 am »
The 3rd pic in the screenshots has an invalid filename/link and isn't showing up.

Do you mean on the main page or the hacks page? On the main page, each news entry has a max of 2 screenshots, while the individual project pages have a max of 4 (and one in progress shot).
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 08:24:03 am »

Quiet. :P If you had any releases, which I don't believe you do, you might be more understanding. I actually regret releasing the Wozz patch for a headerless ROM. I had to go and make a second patch already for a headered ROM to shut people up. You have to go with the most popular distribution of the ROM or you risk MONTHS of people whining about not being able to patch your ROM.

Giving people instructions about how to remove a header/CRC32's/NSRT identification, is STILL not good enough. You have no idea.....
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 09:13:29 am »
I'm just annoyed because it's rather bothersome to run ipsedit on most patches just cos I had the misfortune to download headerless ROMs.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 10:29:13 am »
I'm just annoyed because it's rather bothersome to run ipsedit on most patches just cos I had the misfortune to download headerless ROMs.

That's a weak reason. That works in reverse. It just happens, the majority of ROMs I have download(I have quite a few) do have headers.

I thought you were going to present the reasoning that in the case of SNES, the headers are meaningless and you are patching the ROM and patching with no header should be standard. ;)

Anyway, this is a non winnable debate on either side and off topic. ;)
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 10:37:15 am »
no, it's a very winable debate because he mentioned only headers. if he's too lazy to add some zero bytes to the beginning of the file, he doesn't deserve to complain about jack shit. ;)

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 02:27:17 pm »
Ummm... Well, I didn't even know it was headered. O.O I just... hacked the game...  :'(

Sorry for inconvenience...

(And all of the pictures are showing up. O.o)
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 02:30:50 pm »

Don't let it get to you, it's just Aerdan :D
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

textfile

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 03:34:24 pm »
About
(NOTE: The readme says that there’s only two holes that lead to a debug room. I had forgotten about another hole, in the sanctuary that may also lead to a debug room. Either way, these holes are trivial and the player must be brain-dead to fall into them since the holes only appear at very safe places)

I thought the debug room was created as a back-up in case someone falls into a hole and the game does not know what to do for some reason, Arrg why don't I keep my useless stuff bookmarks, they would of been useful this time.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 03:50:11 pm »

LOL, it took me a while to figure out who you meant. But... Isn't it... Ahdan? O.O

About
(NOTE: The readme says that there’s only two holes that lead to a debug room. I had forgotten about another hole, in the sanctuary that may also lead to a debug room. Either way, these holes are trivial and the player must be brain-dead to fall into them since the holes only appear at very safe places)

I thought the debug room was created as a back-up in case someone falls into a hole and the game does not know what to do for some reason, Arrg why don't I keep my useless stuff bookmarks, they would of been useful this time.

I know I was able to find out where one led, and I covered it with spikes so that if the player doesn't feel like resetting the game, they could just watch Link die. There's also two holes in the Misery Mire dungeon I intentionally put that will uber kill off Link no matter what. :D But it's part of the plan and Link doesn't fall into a debug room- just to the gap on the room below! :D I had fun watching Link die like that... It was as fun as watching him endlessly fall minus the endless.

Either way, I had to figure out the hole-debug problem the hard way... >_> I wouldn't hated for people to just not download it because they couldn't get past the Desert Palace... LOL.
Who will quote me next?

Destro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 04:20:17 pm »

Do you mean on the main page or the hacks page? On the main page, each news entry has a max of 2 screenshots, while the individual project pages have a max of 4 (and one in progress shot).
The individual hack page for this hack specifically. The 3rd pic is not linked correctly and reads as follows:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/snes/images/om/albums/v299/OniRinku/Legend%20of%20Zelda%20fix/

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 04:24:45 pm »

The individual hack page for this hack specifically. The 3rd pic is not linked correctly and reads as follows:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/snes/images/om/albums/v299/OniRinku/Legend%20of%20Zelda%20fix/

Nope, they all work for me. Must be something wrong with your computer?

And I just noticed something! 80 Filefront must've renamed my .zip file misspelling Master and totally killing off Quest... The "T" at the end must've been the "T" in Quest. >_> (And I checked my own .zip and it's spelled out correctly) LOL. Stupid filefront.
Who will quote me next?

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 05:36:10 pm »

LOL, it took me a while to figure out who you meant. But... Isn't it... Ahdan? O.O

*Technically*, it'd actually be more like Ardan [Japanese is weird like that], since the e doesn't have much of an impact [think 'æ'.]

That's a weak reason. That works in reverse. It just happens, the majority of ROMs I have download(I have quite a few) do have headers.

I thought you were going to present the reasoning that in the case of SNES, the headers are meaningless and you are patching the ROM and patching with no header should be standard. ;)

That's part of it, too, but I figured [for some reason] I'd use the one I did instead.

Destro

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 07:11:19 am »

Nope, they all work for me. Must be something wrong with your computer?

Ok, then please link me to the 3rd pic (out of 4) in that specific hack page, as I've cleaned my cache and then looked at the page with 3 different browsers, and the link used for the picture is still incorrect. Maxthon and Opera show 4 pictures with the 3rd being broken, while Firefox only shows 3 pictures. Remember, however, that the screenshots section of hack pages has 4 pictures per page on average.

The page for this Zelda hack is as follows:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/170/

Here are the 4 urls for the pictures at the bottom of the hack page, labelled as screenshots:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/snes/images/S1.png
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/snes/images/S2.png
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/snes/images/Scene2.png

In fact here's a Print Scrn of what I'm seeing with the broken picture link, and subsequently odd url displayed in my status bar at the botton when I put my mouse over the broken picture: http://i13.tinypic.com/29fxqb6.jpg

If you have a browser other than Firefox then look at the hack page yourself. You might need to clear your cache first but you should then see what I'm seeing.

In fact when I checked out another hack that only uses 3 screenshot pictures the page looks just fine in all 3 browsers I have.
E.g. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/21/

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 08:51:53 am »
Fixed. Better now?

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 02:46:52 pm »
I get it. Hmmm... I wonder why it did that. Oh well, now you see a lovely dinosaur that eats donuts. :)

I wonder how many people are playing this version... And who's having trouble with it and who's not?

@Nightcrawler regarding the missing pic: Is the missing picture due to something I mislinked when I submitted my hack? I do remember putting in four screenshots. O.o
Who will quote me next?

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 02:54:09 pm »
No, because I still only see three images in Firefox, and I force-reloaded, too, so..