News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Sylvanian Families - The Fairyland Pendant English Translation Patch Released!  (Read 37724 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Ryusui

After almost a full year of work, the Sylvanian Families - The Fairyland Pendant translation is finished.

Enjoy.

Staff note - It lives! Get it here or there.

Relevant Link: (http://theryusui.googlepages.com/)

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations

I beat all of you to it.
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Feitang

• 飛影
    • View Profile

Tenshigami

• View Profile

Bwahahaa

Doesn't measure up to the last two, cuz I didn't make it. But it fits XD

EDIT: Though maybe it should be 'A WinRyusui is you!'

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
I'll spare you with my MS Paint Skills Ryusui, Congratulations  :)
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Tintenfisch

• Insect swarm 3, nothing but the best.
    • View Profile
I won't

A traitor like you doesn't deserve a Texas double whopper, now available at burger king

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
HOO-RAH!!

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
What a reaction.  :o
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
WTF is all the paintiness?! O.o Was this game that anticipated?
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Was this game that anticipated?

Try it for yourself  :laugh:
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
It's not exactly the best game ever made, but with all the name-dropping and outright pestering on my part in the past year, it became something of - you guessed it - the romhacking world's equivalent of "Snakes on a Plane", with maybe a hint of "Blair Witch"-style indie surprise attack (seeing as how, while this is hardly my first project, this is the first one I've completed, let alone announced, and a fairly ambitious one if you ever look under the hood of the original).

It's sort of an in-joke I've provided to the community, though I will have to say it stands on its own merits: it's probably better than 95% of the licensed shovelware we get in the United States, however little that's saying.

Hell, I proudly credit Atlus on two fronts: their kick-ass opening dialogue to SMT3 inspired me to try something similar for SF1, resulting in the "In all your journeys, have you seen/the land beyond the mountains green?" poem you see in the game, and their removal of the Mahjongg minigame in Raidou Kuzunoa vs. the Soulless Army inspired me to finally kick that pesky Flower Dictionary out and just release a completed translation. If Atlus inspired me to do all this, it can't be wrong, right?

Check out the "Project Background" for the game on my website (link's in the sig below - and yes, that's Aster Dandelion next to that paraphrase of SMT3's opening) for the whole story of Why I Did This.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
That was... a touching background story.  :'(

Basically, this was just to prove to yourself that you can finish something, huh?

Maybe... I could learn a thing or two from you... :P

As a sidenote... what system is this for? XD It looks like a GBC game... I'm going to look for it but maybe someone answers my question sooner than I can?
Who will quote me next?

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Yeah, it's a GBC game.

And it wasn't just a matter of proving I could finish something, it was also atonement for my utter hypocrisy: my original plan involved a straight translation, just to see if I could, and it's that kind of research-free dreck that drives me freakin' insane.

In case I didn't mention this already, the character names are <i>all</i> different from the Japanese version: in Japan, the Sylvanians are identified by species and family position; i.e. the protagonist is "Ivory Usagi no Onna no Ko", or "Ivory Rabbit Girl". In the rest of the world, they have real names, most of which I got from sylvanian-families.net. (Wendy, the webmaster of said site, uses a Mac, which is arguably half the reason I had doubts about releasing the patch in NINJA format only.)

On a side note, you'll find this game under the title of "Sylvania Family" elsewhere. (That's how the name is written in katakana on the title screen, FYI. Once you clear the game once, you get the English logo instead. I took that same logo and applied it to all the variations of the title screen.) And if you ever find a ROM purporting itself to be "Sylvania Family 3" or some such (the subtitle is "Hoshifuru Yoru no Sunatokei", or "The Hourglass of the Night of Shooting Stars"), please tell me...

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
Ah, I found it under Sylvania Family. So I was right- it is for GBC. :)

I'm going to scout out the third installment since I only found one and two. Wish me luck, yo!
Who will quote me next?

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
I wish you a heap of luck. The third game is freakin' nowhere. -_-;

2 uses a lot of dictionary compression...hopefully, I can expand the ROM to fit a proper English script, but all things considered, the next SF game I'll probably work on is SF4 for GBA. I've already got a VWF partially implemented...

Sylvanian Families 4: Meguru Kisetsu no Tapestry ("Tapestry of the Seasons") is the first GBA game, but it's also a fair number of "lasts": last SF game to use a number in its title, last SF game to feature a lagomorphic protagonist (after Rebecca Periwinkle, it's Esme Huckleberry of the Brown Dog family and Saffron Whatever-Her-Last-Name-Is of the Walnut Squirrels), last SF game to have a flower-growing system, last SF game to involve a real-time clock...AFAIK on those last two; I only played SF6 (yeah, it's "Fashion Designer ni Naritai! - Kurumi-Risu no Onna no Ko", no "6" involved, but it's still the sixth game) long enough to take a screenshot so I could ask someone on SFCCE who the hell the protagonist is in the rest of the world, but I know for a fact that SF5 (my first foray into the series, and into GBA hacking in general, not to mention compression ^_^) doesn't have either.

...You know, playing FFIII DS gave me a serious urge to continue work on SF4. Am I the only one who thinks the "Village of the Ancients" theme sounds a little like this here?

http://theryusui.googlepages.com/sf4forest.mp3

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
Dude, work on all of them! :D It's friggin kick@$$!!! :D

It reminds me of Hamtaro. Now, I'm a guy- a HETEROSEXUAL guy- but I always had a soft spot for Hamtaro (and Animal Crossing)... And Peter Rabbit... :P I really like children's stuff... Maybe I will follow one person's suggestion and do illustrations for children's books... :D

And... Whisper Woods... sounds :D -ish. God... Everyone must be thinking I'm ghey. LMAO! XD I don't remember how the Village of Ancients sound, however, since I usually played FFIIIDS on the bus (only useless time I had each day... College is t3h suxorz)

Playing your translation's given me an incentive to look harder for Sylvania Family 3! But for now...

Kushi! HAAMTAARO!!! DADIRINDARA!!! HAMTARO!!! 8:3
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 05:21:51 pm by Moulinoski »
Who will quote me next?

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
Don't feel too bad about your patch not reaching anyone. DBZ probably has one of the largest followings and I've only seen one of my patches mentioned on one of the many cult fan websites and that was 2 years ago with the first patch. ;)

...And I was planning on giving this a try until Moulinoski mentioned Hamtaro. :P
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
Don't feel too bad about your patch not reaching anyone. DBZ probably has one of the largest followings and I've only seen one of my patches mentioned on one of the many cult fan websites and that was 2 years ago with the first patch. ;)

...And I was planning on giving this a try until Moulinoski mentioned Hamtaro. :P

Who mentioned Hamtaro?  ::)

It's a good game so far. :) Play it when there's no one really macho or "eww, I h8 t3h rabitz"-ish person around.

And Ryusui... Thus far, the only thing I keep getting is either the first two games or your blog. u_u

::EDIT:: Gonna try  P2P program and see if that works out.

::EDIT:: Sylvania Family 3 is for Dreamcast? O.o

::Yet another EDIT:: It seems this stuff is kinda like the Barbie of Japan... which makes me shudder because it implies that it's a girl thing. >_> Foo. And what does Waiwai mean in Japanese?

::EDIT:: I only find a whole bunch of stuff related to the dolls. >_> Christ... If I add GBC next to Sylvanian Families, it gives me one and two... If I spell out the entire third installment's title, it gives me IGN and Gamespot- empty pages at that! I know see why you wish me a heap of luck- It's F%^(&^$#(%ing rare as heck! O.O

::Final edit:: It seems like some people like watching rabbits during their reproductive activities... Sharaeaza... you twit. >_>
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 06:10:52 pm by Moulinoski »
Who will quote me next?

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
"Waiwai" seems to be a generic exclamation of excitement.

1. It's part of the Japanese title to the GBA game Konami Krazy Racers, a.k.a. "Wai Wai Racing".

2. One of the girl-type demons in Persona 2 chirps "Wai wai!" when you say something she wants to hear.

3. In one episode of Maple Town Story (^_^;), Karl tries to tell his parents that his older sister Diana has been kidnapped only to have a coin dropped in the little bank he wears around his neck every time he tries to speak up, prompting him to start chirping "Wai wai wai wai!" (in a voice that will only make you want to shoot him) until he remembers what he's supposed to be doing.

Anyway, SF3 is a GBC game. I've been neglecting to simply buy the cartridge (which I can, thanks to Celga), though, since I have no idea how to dump ROMs...

Sylvanian Families is indeed a "girl thing" in concept, but there are a fair number of male members on the SFCCE forums...the perenially absent admin Benjamin, for starters, and SeraphMichael, who (as the username implies) is also an SMT fan. Just think of it this way: because of the nature of the games, only the truly hardcore can play them. Wear them as a badge of honor. ^_^

...Esme's little brother in SF5 makes a comment about how he wants to be a detective. Watch as I render this as "I'm gonna be a detective when I grow up! Like Sherlock Holmes, or Raidou Kuzunoha!"