News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Site: Happy First Birthday ROMhacking.net!  (Read 6527 times)

RHDNBot

Site: Happy First Birthday ROMhacking.net!
« on: December 24, 2006, 04:19:40 am »
Update By: Nightcrawler

You know I wouldn't miss my own site's birthday unless I had a good reason. I do. When you read this, I'll be somewhere in Africa having just climbed the tallest freestanding mountain in the world or passed out trying! I will try and stop in and say hi if I come across an Internet terminal at an airport or on Zanzibar by the beach hotel. I'll be back soon as long as I'm not eaten by Lions or other predators on safari and am still healthy! On to the speech!

Well, what can I say? The site is one year old already. This year has just flown by. When we started, I really had no idea if or how much this site would be accepted. It has surpassed all of my expectations. Some sections of our archive have doubled and tripled. We've had nearly 1.2 million unique visits in one year. I think that says something. It says we've woken up some of the members of this community sleeping in the corner. It says we've put a little bit of life, a little bit of unity, and a little bit of 'community' back into our ROMhacking world. With one good look at at our submission logs, as well as forum and site activity, it's quite clear to me that this community is very much alive. I'd even go so far as to say it's seen a bit of growth compared to recent years.

The content and features on the site have come far in the past year toward reaching the vision had for this site, but we're not there yet. Site development and additional features will continue into 2007. We will continue to work toward our goal of putting more site functionality into your hands. Some site core revisions have been in the works to better facilitate allowing you to edit existing entries and keep our database up to date yourselves. It is our hopes that this approach will ensure ROMhacking.net is active and updated for a long, long time to come.

A big 'Thank You' goes out to our hard working staff and all of you that have contributed to our community whether it be submissions, bug reports, assisting in the decision making process, or just lending some comedic relief on the forum. ) One year is just the beginning of ROMhacking.net's lifespan. It will continue to grow and be the most useful and up to date ROMhacking archive, news, and information site in the English speaking world as long as we as a community continue to utilize it and contribute to it. As long as the community lives, so shall ROMhacking.net!

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net)

Draken

• The Lost Son
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
Re: Site: Happy First Birthday ROMhacking.net!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 05:18:58 am »
Happy Birthday!!

You deserve a huge 'thanks' Nightcrawler.  You've done a wonderful job of uniting the romhacking community and creating a positive environment for people to come to for news and help.  I visit the site at least twice a day, and I have been so grateful that you were able to pull it off.  I remember when you showed me the "beta" site more than a year ago.  I thought that it was a wonderful project, but I never knew that it would become so successful.   

Congratulations to you and to the staff.  It's been a great year!

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 09:22:24 am »
FARKING HILARIOUS.

"STICKY NEWS - Happy First Birthday ROMhacking.net!
31 December 1969 7:00PM EST - Update by Nightcrawler "

:D

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 12:11:46 pm »
FARKING HILARIOUS.

"STICKY NEWS - Happy First Birthday ROMhacking.net!
31 December 1969 7:00PM EST - Update by Nightcrawler "

:D

ROFL!!! I didn't notice that! So, ROMHacking.net's been around for quite some time! Since before the internet! Har har har... I killed it, didn't I?

Anyhow, HAPPY BIRFDEI! Heh
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 03:57:03 pm »
I think they had the Internet. Just not as we know it. ;D
Happy birthday and happy holidays.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

visualdefenition

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 06:03:44 pm »
merry birthday, happy x-mas

creaothceann

• SPINESHARK
    • View Profile
    • creaothceann's website
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 07:46:28 pm »
"And thus was the tradition of absent site owners continued." ;)

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 08:31:45 pm »
"And thus was the tradition of absent site owners continued." ;)

Oh, you haven't seen the smoldering wreck that is, was and will be the SFCCE forums. You think Nightcrawler gone for a month is bad? Benjamin's permanent absenteeism has left the boards at the mercy of the spambots. Never mind that the place is virtually dead since step57 raped the boards a few months back; he had to wipe the whole shebang clean and start from scratch.

So anyways. Happy birthday, RHDN, and may you have many many more.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 11:58:03 pm »
Well, that proves that my last 2 submissions to the site weren't misdated. SOmething about the site is screwing up the years.

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006, 12:23:04 am »
Well, that proves that my last 2 submissions to the site weren't misdated. SOmething about the site is screwing up the years.

No, because your most recent hack submission was fine.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 06:54:44 pm »
It is likely a glitch, so therefore appears irregularily. 1969 isn't remotely like 2006 so it must be a glitch.

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 10:31:39 pm »
RHDN is only 1 year old? Finding this place on Wikipedia, I thought immediately that this place was the norm of rom hacking.
And I'll leave it at that!

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 02:57:02 pm »
The dates are being stored in the database correctly. I found a problem in the code displaying dates on sticky news. All sticky news dates should have failed on display. I have no idea how or when that problem got there. It wasn't there before to my knowledge.

Oh well. Fixed.  :)
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations