News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Detective Sanma/Idol Hakkenden translations are out!  (Read 2109 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Detective Sanma/Idol Hakkenden translations are out!
« on: September 15, 2018, 03:32:33 am »

Update By: cccmar

Supper, TheMajinZenki and cccmar are proud to present 2 translation patches for FC adventure games, Detective Sanma and Idol Hakkenden.

Detective Sanma is a quirky murder mystery adventure title with Sanma Ayakashi as the main protagonist (besides the player). You need to solve the mystery in a typical Portopia fashion, but with a lot of wacky events and characters thrown in.

Idol Hakkenden on the other hand is an adventure game in which you control Erika Saionji, an up-and-coming idol, who wants to win the family inheritance in a skill competition. Again, it's quite a quirky adventure game, with a cool soundtrack (the game was developed by Natsume - one of their only 2 adventure games for the system to our knowledge) and some unexpected twists and turns. We almost made it in time for the game's 29th b-day, too. ;)

We also have a few unannounced projects in the pipeline that shouldn't take too long to get completed. So, stay tuned for some news and in the meantime have fun with the games!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
Re: Translations: Detective Sanma/Idol Hakkenden translations are out!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 03:38:23 am »
Congrats on the release! These are great esp. Idol Hakkenden. But the hyphenated words... some of them can fit without need to break into two lines.

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 04:03:24 am »
Congrats on the release! These are great esp. Idol Hakkenden. But the hyphenated words... some of them can fit without need to break into two lines.

Thanks, we put a lot of work into them!

Which lines are you referring to, exactly? IH's text box is only 16 characters wide, and there are a lot of things that look like they "should" fit but are actually too long by 1 character.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 04:48:14 am »
I think that it largely depends on available space. Sometimes the way the games are hacked means we have to go 1:1 on Japanese to English text boxes, unfortunately, and it's hard enough to cram the script in as it is, with all the limitations. Still, we'll see how it goes for the next project. :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 04:56:26 am by cccmar »

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 06:38:26 am »
Which lines are you referring to, exactly?
The lines in the screenshots:
Code: [Select]
"I'll say this    "You're in front
much: We'll do    of Kakinabe Sta-
great things to-  tion."
gether."

Would have looked much better like this, imo:
Code: [Select]
"I'll say this    "You're in front
much: We'll do    of Kakinabe
great things      Station."
together."

In any case, these things are very minor and the games look great anyway. Thanks for the release!
There has to be a better life.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 10:42:08 am »
Which lines are you referring to, exactly?

Like "Hoshimi" can fit on the next line since its the last word in that sentence.

Or efficient!" can fit on the last line without chopping off e-

Its a pretty minor nitpick really, it would not stop me or anyone from playing this translation. :)

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 02:13:26 pm »
YES! I've been waiting to play this Idol game for a while now ... Thanks!

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 03:27:18 pm »
Oh, I see what you mean now. Personally I prefer having more uniform line lengths even if it means splitting up words, but we talked about it and apparently I'm just a weirdo. Considering it takes way longer to manually hyphenate everything than to just do auto word wrapping, it's definitely not worth my time if no one else likes it. Thanks for the feedback!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 04:20:00 pm »
I remember doing auto-linewrapping in Shell Monsters Story, the first game I think I did extensive ASM hacking on, and it was not easy at all.
(and only reasonably doable I imagine if the game parses the text to RAM before spitting it out on the screen. If it just prints it on the screen as it reads out of ROM, then you probably wouldn't be able to do it at all without extensive extra hacking.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 01:35:49 am »
I remember doing auto-linewrapping in Shell Monsters Story, the first game I think I did extensive ASM hacking on, and it was not easy at all.
(and only reasonably doable I imagine if the game parses the text to RAM before spitting it out on the screen. If it just prints it on the screen as it reads out of ROM, then you probably wouldn't be able to do it at all without extensive extra hacking.)

Sure it's tricky if you do it at runtime, but I just meant computing the linebreaks at build time, which is how I've handled VWF-based projects where manual formatting doesn't make sense. My main concern with auto-wrapping in that context is that in cases where you're restricted to one box of English text per Japanese box, longer strings may require you to manually add hyphens to make the text fit without cuts, leading to inconsistent formatting. Maybe I'm the only one who cares about that, though.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 03:02:47 pm »
I've done one such translation. RPG Maker, where since the sample game has to be in-game edit-able, I had to make the script formater try as it best as it could to keep within several length limits of the engine.
The result was hopefully able to keep meaning while being as condensed as possible to fit.
(hoping I didn't make any major mistakes while using dictionaries to translate, as I checked each line in-game for context. Though the writing feels rather simplistic since it is after all, a "sample" game. :D )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SuperrSonic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 12:38:52 pm »
A little late, but I wanted to share that the included html manual is fully compatible with the Wii's "Operations Guide" viewer. Pretty neat.

https://youtu.be/1ovSRiWw0h8?t=42s