News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Super Robot Wars EX English Translation Released  (Read 5014 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Super Robot Wars EX English Translation Released
« on: December 24, 2018, 06:11:38 pm »

Update By: Gideon Zhi

Sixteen years ago, AGTP released a translation for Super Robot Wars 3. Today, AGTP releases the immediate followup: Super Robot Wars EX. Lots of progress has been made in those years, and the work done to EX presents a new gold standard for translation hacking to the SNES SRW primary canon. The release is complete and should be issue-free; enjoy!

As an aside, the work on EX has been successfully back-ported to Super Robot Wars 3, and an update to that patch that both fixes the numerous name translation mistakes and improves the technical presentation is in the works. A further update on that is forthcoming. In the meantime, EX works well as a stand-alone game or as a mid-story palette-cleanser for The Elemental Lords.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Orochi Kusanagi

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Super Robot Wars EX English Translation Released
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 06:27:06 pm »
Congrats on another amazing SRW release! Beautiful work as always, thanks for all the work on this franchise.

Q

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 09:18:33 pm »
I've been refreshing RHDN and AGTP all day to see if there would be an announcement about the Super Robot Wars series, and here it is. Congrats on another release! 2018 has been quite a year for the SNES. :thumbsup:
Sneko, the Super Nintendo Entertainment Kitty, wishes you luck.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 09:52:16 pm »
Thanks a lot for your BEYOND AMAZING efforts, Gideon.  You are doin' really GOD'S WORK!  :woot!: :thumbsup:

Devastation

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 09:55:18 pm »
Congratulations Aeon Genesis and Merry Christmas. Thank you for this!

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 02:28:07 am »
Neat!!

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 04:43:52 am »
Nice! And just in time for Christmas too. Thanks for the release and all your hard work as always. Now the only SNES SRW game left to be translated is the fourth one. This is indeed an awesome series. :beer:
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

VladimIr V Y

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 06:19:10 am »
Thank you! The 2018 has been a very good year for the SRW fans.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 06:58:37 am »
Congrats on the release! 2018 has been a very good year for SNES translations indeed!

A minor thing I noticed: you seem to have included the music persistence patch in the translation patch. Floating IPS warned me that the output was identical when applying the persistence patch over the translation. A quick glance at the chunks of both patches confirmed it. No biggie, since I always use the persistence patches anyway, but worth mentioning probably.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 09:17:32 am »
Congrats on the release! 2018 has been a very good year for SNES translations indeed!

A minor thing I noticed: you seem to have included the music persistence patch in the translation patch. Floating IPS warned me that the output was identical when applying the persistence patch over the translation. A quick glance at the chunks of both patches confirmed it. No biggie, since I always use the persistence patches anyway, but worth mentioning probably.

just to point out that this is actually mentioned in the readme, but who reads those anyway ?  ;D
In PSP we trust.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 09:38:17 am »
Well, I always read them, so you're barking up the wrong tree :P In previous SRW releases from AGTP those music persistence patches weren't integrated in the main patch. In fact, I've just checked whether I wasn't going crazy and for SRW Gaiden you indeed need to apply the persistence patch on top of the translation, i.e. the translation patch doesn't include persistence by default. That portion of the readme is nearly identical between SRW Gaiden and SRW EX and neither states that persistence is enabled by default. That's because it's optional. You might want to take another look at that readme and the other patches before being snarky, Mugi :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 12:25:45 pm by mziab »

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 10:10:07 am »
As an aside, the work on EX has been successfully back-ported to Super Robot Wars 3

Woah! Does that mean we'll benefit from un updated (more modern) "Font" for Super Robot Wars 3 too?

Whatever the case I honestly can't wait for the new version of SRW 3. I have a soft spot for this game despite its sheer brutality and its basic gameplay (compared tpo SRW 4 and later games). Maybe because this was one of my first played fan-translation ever (my memory is blurry: it was  either SRW 3 or Front Mission 1 ; )

Big Cheers for fine-tuning SRW EX too. :)

EDIT: Merry Christmas, Folks! ^^
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 10:16:47 am by CrocMagnum »
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 10:35:57 am »

Yeah, this wasn't intended, and is an artifact of the new build system I'm using; I had music persistence integrated into the build for testing purposes, and must have forgotten to turn it off. If you really want to remove music persistence though, the undo patch should still work as intended. I'll update the main patch at some point to fix this.

Woah! Does that mean we'll benefit from un updated (more modern) "Font" for Super Robot Wars 3 too?

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 11:20:41 am »
Yeah, this wasn't intended, and is an artifact of the new build system I'm using; I had music persistence integrated into the build for testing purposes, and must have forgotten to turn it off. If you really want to remove music persistence though, the undo patch should still work as intended. I'll update the main patch at some point to fix this.

Like I said, it's cool, I always use the persistence patches anyway. Speaking of, it seems the readme has some bits of SRW Gaiden left over:

It's usually a theme song from the show's opening sequence, but since Masoukishin does not contain any licensed properties, they're all various theme songs written for the original characters that appear in the game.

In other words, if your ROM is called "srwg.smc" make sure the patch is "srwex.ips" okay?

One more thing in the game proper that may or may not be a mistake: the opening scroll mentions "Stedonius Union" and then "Stedonias army". I'm not up to speed on the in-universe lore, so this might be intentional. Anyway, relevant screenshot.

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 07:05:24 am »

Well! This new Font for SRW 3 sounds promising:

Having spent so much time on the 2002 translation I can clearly see the improvements.

Compared to the old font the new text looks sharper and more streamlined, I like it.

And thank you Sir for the preview. :)
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

kaiisen

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 10:02:07 am »
Everytime I see a new full translation of Super Robot Wars Series my eyes stings :')

So many gifts from all you guys this christmas. Thank you very much.

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 01:34:30 pm »
Thank you for this wonderful release.