News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: And 1 for Arle: Madou Monogatari I for Sega Mega Drive/Genesis translated  (Read 10254 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Supper

An English translation of the classic dungeon crawler Sorcery Saga Ⅰ (Madou Monogatari Ⅰ) for the Sega Mega Drive has been released!

It's the day of the graduation exam at Magic Kindergarten, but only one person has qualified to take it: the promising mage but uninspiring student Arle Nadja, who fluked into passing the preliminary by choosing random answers. Now, Arle finds herself unexpectedly facing the school's terrifying final exam: to escape from the massive, monster-infested Magic Tower in the playground. Will Arle make it out? And more importantly, can she earn enough points to pass her exam and graduate from kindergarten?

Sorcery Saga Ⅰ for the Mega Drive is a 1996 dungeon crawler by Compile. It's nominally a remake of the first episode of the Madou Monogatari 1-2-3 trilogy, originally released for the MSX2 home computer in 1990, but aside from the basic story premise and a few gameplay concepts, it's essentially a completely new game. Turn-based combat has been scrapped in favor of a fighting game–inspired action battle system, the dungeon layouts are completely different, and a new system for catching and battling with monsters plays a prominent role. It also holds the distinction of being the very last game officially released for the Mega Drive in Japan.

This patch was the work of TheMajinZenki (translation), Supper (hacking), cccmar (editing and testing), filler (original script dump), Xanathis (testing), and Oddoai-sama (testing). It's the culmination of a series of translations of the Sorcery Saga series done mostly by the same group, with previous releases including Sorcery Saga Ⅱ, Ⅲ, and A for the Game Gear.

In a separate but related release, the group has collaborated with scanslator Novyal to produce a complete scanslation of the manual for Sorcery Saga Ⅲ, which is now bundled with the patch for that game. It can also be viewed on the patch's web site: http://stargood.org/trans/madou3_manual.php

Additionally, a small unofficial patch for the 2010 English translation of the Game Gear version of Sorcery Saga Ⅰ has been released to fix hardware compatibility issues that prevented it from working properly when run on an actual Game Gear.

This will be the final release in this series of Sorcery Saga translations. The authors are grateful to everyone who's played the translations, and hope this project has brought a little light to a woefully underrecognized series. Enjoy!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
The quality and quantity of your translations never ceases to amaze me. Do you guys translate games in a hyperbaric time chamber?

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
The quality and quantity of your translations never ceases to amaze me. Do you guys translate games in a hyperbaric time chamber?

Haha, I like to give that impression, but we've just been lucky enough to have everyone in the right place at the right time to get things done. Won't be able to keep it up forever, but it's nice while it lasts. Plus this was actually in development for longer than it looks like -- we had some weird delays that meant our last few releases all came out pretty close together, despite being started months apart.

And thanks, we put a lot of effort into this. It's one of the most enjoyable games I've worked on, and I think the whole team had a really good time with it, so we put in lots of extra work to try to make sure it was a polished, refined translation. Hope it shows.

kaiisen

• View Profile
OMG, you guys are awesome :crazy: :crazy:

Trying it right now! >.<

Thank you so much for putting so much effort in the whole series.

:cookie::beer:

Baggins

• View Profile
Lovely, translation.

But is there any chance you could slow down the cutscenes a tad?

Some of the messages switch way too fast, before I can get a chance to read them.

Also any chance that translation work could be made on the PC-Engine CD version of the game (that includes 1-3)?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 10:36:15 am by Baggins »

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
Also any chance that translation work could be made on the PC-Engine CD version of the game (that includes 1-3)?

It doesn't include 1-3 actually, it's just the remake of MM 1 as well, just like the Mega Drive remake; you were probably thinking of the PC-98 ports of 1-2-3. Someone else is working on those, so we'll leave it to him. We most likely won't be working on the PC games from the series. Maybe something changes, but for now there are no plans concerning those games. :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 12:16:01 pm by cccmar »

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
Huge congrats on the release!  :woot!: The screens look amazing, especially that karaoke.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
Thanks a lot for this impressive release! :thumbsup:

Baggins

• View Profile
It doesn't include 1-3 actually, it's just the remake of MM 1 as well, just like the Mega Drive remake; you were probably thinking of the PC-98 ports of 1-2-3. Someone else is working on those, so we'll leave it to him. We most likely won't be working on the PC games from the series. Maybe something changes, but for now there are no plans concerning those games. :)

Would it be easy to convert translation over to the PC Engine version too? For completeness sake?

Are you starting on any new Sega projects?

Still hoping for English Surging Aura someday!

cccmar

• View Profile
Well, we do have some ideas regarding potential Sega projects. Time will tell what happens. :) As to conversion of the PC-98 games - definitely not, they're completely different games pretty much. There are many different characters, dungeons, the art style differs a lot, almost certainly the engines are different etc., so the games would have to be remade entirely, and that's not going to happen. For all intents and purposes, they're their own thing entirely, just like the Mega Drive port.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 11:37:43 am by cccmar »

Baggins

• View Profile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYmiq7NEFT4

Shame, hopefully someone translates the PC-Engine C/Turbo-graphics CD version at some point, love those video cutscenes, and the music!

Wonders if they could be inserted into the Sega version and turned to a MD+ patch (Mega SD flashcart).

arromdee

• View Profile
Is this similar to the Game Gear version or are they separate remakes with no similarity (aside from the things carried over from the original)?

cccmar

• View Profile
Is this similar to the Game Gear version or are they separate remakes with no similarity (aside from the things carried over from the original)?

This one is not even typically turn-based. They changed tons of things, it plays like no other Madou game pretty much. Even the story differs in many places, with new characters/enemies/maps and even some new spells and items, not to mention multiple endings. The characters have different roles compared to other games in the series. Overall, it's essentially a complete remake. It's bonkers how many different versions the first part of the series had, with each of them being different in some way (though the MD remake is probably the most unique).

fireball

• View Profile
Thank you very much for your work on this "lost" series, I enjoyed every part so far. Though it really is ultra kawaii to the chance of getting caries, I guess it doesn't hurt your teeth too much if played every so often  ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 06:58:44 am by fireball »

Galimett

• View Profile
Huge congrats on the release!

MP83

• View Profile
First of all, *HUGE* thanks to the team for translating this game. Excellent work all around! :thumbsup: I'm so happy to see this series of games finally being fan-translated to English. The Mega Drive version of "Madou Monogatari I" has always been my #1 favorite of the series, so I'm especially happy seeing that getting the English treatment. Now if only someone would translate the PC Engine version next~

I do have one big complaint about the translation, however. Why the hell does it have an Arnold Schwarzenegger/Commando movie reference, and a very out-of-place one? It always comes up when you eat a Dragon Tail item:

I'd prefer the translation without that. It reminds me of the awful localizations that Working Designs used to do (I will never forget you, Sven T. Uncommon). Every other places where the dialogue was spiced up felt more natural to me.

Bladix

• View Profile
is there an option to turn off voices samples (as the GG one) ?

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
is there an option to turn off voices samples (as the GG one) ?

No, not in this version. But if you have the ability to use Game Genie codes, you can mute the samples with the code RY4A-N6ZA (or, if your emulator supports ROM patch codes, 0634A0:4E75). I haven't tested that at all, though, so turn it off if you run into any weird problems.

First of all, *HUGE* thanks to the team for translating this game. Excellent work all around! :thumbsup: I'm so happy to see this series of games finally being fan-translated to English. The Mega Drive version of "Madou Monogatari I" has always been my #1 favorite of the series, so I'm especially happy seeing that getting the English treatment. Now if only someone would translate the PC Engine version next~

I do have one big complaint about the translation, however. Why the hell does it have an Arnold Schwarzenegger/Commando movie reference, and a very out-of-place one? It always comes up when you eat a Dragon Tail item:

I'd prefer the translation without that. It reminds me of the awful localizations that Working Designs used to do (I will never forget you, Sven T. Uncommon). Every other places where the dialogue was spiced up felt more natural to me.

Sorry for not responding to this earlier! We discussed it a while back, but I think everyone assumed someone else was going to be the one to reply.

Zenki said he only translated the line that way because he thought it was part of a random selection of "item eating" messages, rather than coming up every single time you use a Dragon Tail. Most of the messages for eating are somewhat more orthodox translations for the original "itadakimasu", with a few being more creative interpretations like this one. We've been meaning to release an update anyway (primarily to fix yet another rare original-game bug someone found), so this will probably get changed whenever that comes out. Sorry.

Bladix

• View Profile
I haven't tested that at all, though, so turn it off if you run into any weird problems.

thanks man, I've started a new game, until glass floor no problem at all :thumbsup:

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
Here's the belated v1.1 update I promised. It really should have been out ages ago, but things didn't quite go as planned.

Anyway, not much is different: the biggest change is that yet another bug in the original game has been fixed, where the conversation with Ms. Eve on Floor 11 would "randomly" freeze the game (more specifically, due to failing to initialize a synchronization variable, it would freeze if you'd viewed certain other arbitrary events immediately beforehand that left that variable at a particular value).

The message for eating a Dragon Tail was also changed, as promised, to something less controversial (though with perhaps a touch of irony). In the process of changing it, I also discovered that the script command to wait for the player to press a button at the end of the message was missing from the original game, so I fixed that too.

I'd still really like to know what triggers this bug where Camus somehow fails to give the compass to you on Floor 2; we encountered it exactly once during testing and never managed to reproduce it. If anyone can find a way to make that happen, you have my gratitude. Otherwise, I'm hoping this will be it for tweaks to the game.