News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Original Dragon Quest Translated!  (Read 5287 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Original Dragon Quest Translated!
« on: February 25, 2020, 06:55:49 am »

Update By: Polinym

Polinym has released the first-ever translation of the unlocalized Dragon Quest for the Famicom.

Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest is essentially the father of the modern JRPG. It follows the story of a hero, descendant of the legendary Loto the Brave, who must slay the villainous Dragon King, rescue Princess Laura, reclaim the Light Orb, and restore peace to Alefgard.

One day Polinym noticed that no had ever translated the original before. After looking and seeing that it was not too difficult a task, he wondered why no one had done this before, and took it upon himself to translate the entire game.

The goal was to be as accurate to the original as possible, given the space provided, technical restrictions, and Polinym's beginner/intermediate knowledge of Japanese.

Because an already localized and fantastic version called Dragon Warrior already exists, little to no attempts were made to localize or change existing content and is thus not a "Woolsey Fan Company" project. Rather, this was just a personal project because of Polinym's fondness for the Dragon Warrior series.

Also included in addition to the pure translation patch is the "Quick EXP" patch, which grants large amounts of experience and gold after every fight and alleviates the need to grind.

Polinym also created a basic trailer to show off the translation and what the game is about, which can be found on YouTube here: ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqSx2BO8nyI ), or in the RELATED LINK.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

roney33

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Original Dragon Quest Translated!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 07:48:39 am »
that's fantastic, do you have plans to make some in dragon quest 2?

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 08:03:16 am »
Oh god this is amazing ! Did they manage to translate the password system somehow ? Also

included in addition to the pure translation patch is the "Quick EXP" patch, which grants large amounts of experience and gold after every fight and alleviates the need to grind.
They should do that for the entiere series, considering how grind-tedious the DQ series as a whole is.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 10:55:04 am »
Love that trailer, lol at the last bit. Literally in all JRPG's that will happen to you.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 11:01:54 am »
A typo in the battle messages seems to have slipped through the cracks: recieves should be receives.

Alduram

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 01:42:36 pm »
Nice!

Even though this game has been upgraded for the American release, it is always good to play a game the closest possible to it's original form, specially when it's so different (the way the character moves in this version reminds me a lot of the Ultima games, which indeed served as an inspiration for Dragon Quest to begin with). I have tried to play this version in Japanese once but I quickly gave up.

Now I have the perfect reason to replay this game.

Polinym

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 08:00:05 pm »
A typo in the battle messages seems to have slipped through the cracks: recieves should be receives.
I just went in, fixed the typo, and resubmitted. Thanks for pointing it out! I can't believe I didn't notice. I guess it's just one of those lines where once you know the formatting's okay, it just goes over your head.

Oh god this is amazing ! Did they manage to translate the password system somehow ? Also
They should do that for the entiere series, considering how grind-tedious the DQ series as a whole is.
Yes, I did translate the password system! It was a little strange and a hassle to fix, but somehow I managed to do it. If I do any more of the famicom DQ games, I'll be sure to consider more EXP patches.

that's fantastic, do you have plans to make some in dragon quest 2?
I may do DQ II or III. I have to look into seeing what I can do about the compression, as DQ I seems to be the only one with an uncompressed font. I don't know if I'll be able to "work my magic" like I had to with the additional compressed font that only showed up in the final boss fight. If anyone knows how to deal with font compression and can help me overcome that hurdle somehow, let me know! :)
"Where are you going, soldier? Get back to the battle!" - Some Battlefront Clone
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJqSB4xw29TTKlia5E0NYtQ

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 08:25:19 pm »
The font used during the final boss fight is not compressed, it is two different fonts on separate bit planes.

Here we see the CHR-ROM bank from the combined Dragonlord Fight/Title Screen font, and it looks so weird.  But it's actually adding two different images together, and using a specific palette so that the other font is not shown.

Here's the same character set when viewed in 1bpp mode:

So use YY-CHR, and switch to 1bpp mode, and you can edit the second font much more easily.  Note that you can right-drag to copy-paste an entire column at a time.

You can also set the view mode to 8x16 sprites, and then you will even see the font in horizontal rows:

===========================================

Meanwhile, DQ2's font is packed as 1bpp tiles, but is not compressed:

Here's DQ3's font (1bpp, not compressed)

Here's DQ4's font (1bpp, not compressed)

"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

Polinym

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 11:09:35 pm »
Ah, that makes more sense. Seems I have much to learn. I had figured out that it was two overlaying images, but I just assumed that was a form of compression. Thank you! Now I can look into translating the other games!
"Where are you going, soldier? Get back to the battle!" - Some Battlefront Clone

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 07:42:09 am »
Congrats on putting this together! You may be aware that I worked on something similar over a year ago but this goes a step further in terms of translating the actual Japanese rom without any of the western improvements / alterations.

I've played some of it and have a few observations and pieces of feedback. The language in general seems to be pretty phrase for phrase from the Japanese, which can come across a bit choppy but everything is readable. I was very surprised to see that you added some equipment symbols as a solution for character space limitations. A bit of impurity there, but I can understand the importance if you aren't going to expand character allowances.

From what I've seen of monster names so far, I like your efforts to retranslate. Some of your choices like Slimess were options that we strongly considered before going another route. Preserving the Japanese spell names was also something we weighed heavily before attempting to represent the fragments of meaning in the Japanese words. I really enjoy that there is now a version for the ultra purist as opposed to the Delocalized versions which are an attempt to more render a more respectful translation in English while preserving many western improvements.

One problem I noted so far. When I was given a password, the screen glitched out. If you can't reproduce it I can send you a pic.

So overall, awesome job. I look forward to playing the rest and seeing how you handled all the monster names. FYI, I'm also giving this project some press in the 7000+ Dragon Questers FB group.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 02:36:15 pm by Chicken Knife »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 03:37:16 pm »
The password can definitely glitch, at least when talking to His Majesty the king. I didn't try to put a return spell yet. But apparently it glitches when printing a special caracter on the screen which also acts as a control caracter, then it starts a new line and it overflows from the box and glitches the BG.

Probably to be usable the password system would have to use less characters and use longer password to compensate for that, but neededless to say this would require hevy romhacking, and then it'd be less faithful to the original.

I'm also fairly sure the original could have passwords that had actual meaning in japanese. I even think this is the format of haiku poems so some actual poems acts like cheat code for the game.

Polinym

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 06:51:50 pm »
I'm not sure what's going on with the passwords glitch. The only thing I can think of is that my late addition to the game's dictionary (it uses dictionary compression) screwed up the bytes that get pulled for making passwords. However, that doesn't make any sense, because to my understanding the game should only use bytes for the password that you can actually type in. I set up the dictionary in such a way that the 20 "password" bytes are in the right spots to show up on the password screen. In this case, the "password bytes" in the dictionary should be the numbers, ? ! * [> \/ , and mnopq.

The only other theory I have is that needing too much experience to get to the next level causes the line "<NMB> experience" to overflow and run into the box, and from my experience, overflowing lines cause graphical issues. If you are experiencing any kind of text overflow, let me know. I really hope it's the second problem, as it's much easier to fix.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 02:05:17 am »
If you are experiencing any kind of text overflow, let me know. I really hope it's the second problem, as it's much easier to fix.
Well, when starting a new game just quit the room after getting all chests, climb stairs again and talk to the king. That should trigger the glitch. (However after picking fights and levelling up the glitch disapears.)

This makes me want to reverse-engineer the password system.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 02:58:34 am by Bregalad »

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 04:03:26 am »
I was still experiencing it at level 3.