News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: An Important Update and Discovery for God Slayer, the Japanese Version of Crystalis  (Read 1097 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Pennywise

A few years after its initial release, the retranslation of the Japanese version of Crystalis, God Slayer, sees an important update to fix some secret text in the game where the developers congratulate you on beating the game.

The presence of this text had been known to Pennywise, but he wasn't sure if it could actually be accessed. It wasn't until CaH4e3 did an investigation of the Japanese ROM that he found out exactly how to trigger this text. Thus bringing to light a long lost secret from the Japanese gaming scene of yore. It's not quite on the epicness level of Erika and Satoru's Dream Adventure (another upcoming translation by yours truly), but it's still really cool to discover stuff like this.

To access the hidden text, one must enable the cheat mode, beat the game, reset the game and then restart the game. Before you talk to a NPC, hold A and the secret text will be displayed instead.

This text is only present in the Japanese ROM and the translation brings to life the words of the developers for English audiences. If anyone has yet to play the new translation of the game, this is yet another reason to the play what the authors consider to be the definitive English version of the game.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Neat. I should try to remember this patch if I ever get around to playing the game. (It is included in the big SNK Anniversary collection on Steam.)

I see the relevant link is https://yojimbo.eludevisibility.org/ , but that hasn't been updated since 2011..? But I suppose there's nothing to be done.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

marioxb

• View Profile
I can't find any site that compares the differences between the US and Japanese versions of Crystalis (a much better name in my opinion). So why should I play the Japanese version, other than the "post credit scenes"?

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Read the readme and make your own decisions.

Tom

• View Profile
I can't find any site that compares the differences between the US and Japanese versions of Crystalis (a much better name in my opinion). So why should I play the Japanese version, other than the "post credit scenes"?

There had been some censorship, some cuts due to space (like name tags), some errors (like Oak instead of Ork), and the intro in particular had been almost entirely made up.

The lines are no longer indented, which gave more space in the windows, so this new translation was able to flesh out the whole lines with nothing cut, and easier-to-read formatting.

And even though the title Crystalis does sound cool, the name God Slayer is actually more appropriate to the theme of the game. It is about the fine line between scientific experimentation and "playing God."

This is one of the things that Crystalis got wrong. They say that "war" is what destroyed the world, but the Japanese script doesn't say war. It says insolence. In other words, scientists had destroyed the world's natural order. THAT was what lead to hideously warped animals and so on, not war.

That's why lightning is striking the city in the intro, not a bomb, like in the American-made GBC remake. The game is about a retaliation of life against science, the god of modern society. When they cast the tower into the heavens, they were able to reconnect with a more "natural" way of life, and this is why they gained new abilities (their psychic powers).

When you take the tower down, you have "slayed a God," of sorts.