News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Homebrew: Just Like the ‘70s, the Pong Clones are Invading Again!  (Read 701 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: eskayelle

In an effort to learn a bit more assembly and enhance his romhacking toolkit, eskayelle / Double Z has released a trilogy of Pong variations, each based upon the clones from the 1970s that utilized the AY-3-8500 chip (e.g., Magnavox Odyssey, Wonder Wizard, Gulliver Triple Challenge…).

As an added spin on the classic property, the games place the player in the universe of a certain team of radical reptiles.  Easy to understand in any language, these games are fun for the whole family!

Whether you want to introduce younger children to some of the classic gameplay of yesteryear, or you want to relive some nostalgia, grab a couple NES controllers and these ROMs and … go ninja, go ninja, go!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Controllerhead1

• View Profile
Re: Homebrew: Just Like the ‘70s, the Pong Clones are Invading Again!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 08:46:45 pm »
You got it done. Grats! :thumbsup:

eskayelle

• NBA Jam 2Kxx / TMNT of Rage / Pong de las TMNT Dev
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew: Just Like the ‘70s, the Pong Clones are Invading Again!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 08:20:51 pm »
Thanks!  Whether or not I decide to try my hand at another game, I do want to do a fair bit more reading on NMI handling and vblank.  As I ran down the code, I determined there are more sections that could be optimized; plus, I did create a few workarounds to ultimately get me to the same gameplay that a more experienced programmer could accomplish more efficiently (and within best practices).

It's definitely been a great learning experience.

Thanks for your help fielding all my questions!  :beer: