News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Der Langrisser Translation Released!  (Read 23742 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Der Langrisser Translation Released!
« on: June 10, 2007, 04:16:05 pm »

Update By: Nightcrawler

After 6 years in the making, the SNES Der Langrisser translation has been released. With 800K of script and 85K of assembly code, this project is a shining example of fan translations at their finest. It’s a showcase of talent for byuu, D, and the rest of the DLTeam.

RHDN Der Langrisser Page

Relevant Link: (http://langrisser.cinnamonpirate.com/)

Animae

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Der Langrisser Translation Released!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 05:36:26 pm »
Sigh... More games to play...  ::)
Hehe, kidding! Looking forward to trying this one. Looks great! Good job people!

:cookie:

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 06:55:14 pm »
This is the one where you can choose which side to join? If so, w00t! another game to stall me from beating Final Fantasy VIII! XD
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Lucius

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 11:40:36 pm »
Der Langrisser is one of the greatest SNES games ever made. In my eyes, it's on par with Chrono Trigger's legendary status. If you are a gamer, then i strongly advice you to play this game.

byuu

• View Profile
    • A farewell message
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 12:24:29 am »
Version 1.01 has been released, which fixes the broken light path scenario. Sorry about that, apparently 26 beta testers were not enough to catch subtle bugs like entire scenarios being completely busted ... it fixes some other minor things, too.
This will hopefully be the final version.

I will be working on that article I promised, going over the history of the translation and the amount of work involved that really can't be appreciated unless one has played through the older WT / NLT patches. I'll post a link somewhere on this site when it's ready.

EDIT: Nightcrawler, D asked me to refer you to a press kit he posted.

Press Kit

We have prepared a small press kit for any news or fan sites interested in covering the Der Langrisser translation release. The graphics are released to the Public Domain, however, some of the content is not Public Domain, but appears as Fair Use under copyright law. If you are confused, read the license.text file included in the archive.

Downloadable at the bottom of this page: http://langrisser.cinnamonpirate.com/downloads/

It should give you better images to use for both the front page and the game entry in your database, as the ones up now are from 2003.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 02:40:10 am by byuu »

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 09:50:04 am »
I updated the entry page with new images and the new version. However, nothing was really suitable for the news update. The images are too big to run on the main page. I had tried out an auto resizing feature before, but the results were ugly. Thumbnails are also ugly, so we don't have those on the news. I could run some links instead, but it looks nicer with the images inline.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 10:47:44 am »
I tried this game out a bit yester-night. It was fun. :D Although I don't see any "You Bear!" dialouge! :( (That was the other guy, I bet...)
Who will quote me next?

byuu

• View Profile
    • A farewell message
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 11:46:49 am »
Thank you, Nightcrawler.

I hate to keep nitpicking, but the page is somewhat outdated.

Spinner 8 mentions somewhat of the issue with SNES9x, but the issue also occurs in ZSNES. You may wish to copy/paste our warning, or make your own. But we should probably warn against using ZSNES here, too, as people hate to read. The more places the warning is visible, the better. We intentionally decided not to put the warning in the ROM itself, because that's just really unprofessional, and obviously if ZSNES9x ever do fix their issues, it would be a shame for that warning to still be there.

I hope ZSNES9x will fix the bug and we can remove the warning soon. I'm very hopeful of the new ZSNES sound core.

Next, the text at the bottom ... the scenario 27 bug has been fixed with v1.01, so I don't think the warning is needed anymore.

Finally, assuming no major issues like the sc27 bug pop up, we are planning one last final release. It will be in a few months, and will be in our new patching format. After that, no bug reports will be accepted, no matter how major.

If you'd like, I can attempt to edit it myself. I don't know if I have the priveleges needed to do that, or if it's wide open like a wiki.

Thanks for updating so quickly, by the way. I appreciate it.

Suzaku

• Job change!
    • View Profile
    • Studio Llama
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 12:02:16 pm »
If you can see an EDIT link, you can edit the page. You can, in fact, do any maintenance on the Der Langrisser entry yourself. That's one of the key points of RHDN 2.0  ;)

Ultimate

• RPG and Strategy Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 12:33:22 pm »
Congratz, now this is something to be hasppy for, Der Langrisser is one helluva game :D

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 01:18:54 pm »
If you can see an EDIT link, you can edit the page. You can, in fact, do any maintenance on the Der Langrisser entry yourself. That's one of the key points of RHDN 2.0  ;)

Right. Feel free to nitpick away and make whatever changes you need to. That's the point. It's everyone's responsibility to keep things up to date. ;)
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 01:40:48 pm »
I noticed those Edit links before but I was always afraid to click on them. Just added a little note for my Zelda: Master Quest hack! :D

As soon as I beat FFVIII, I'm definately going to play Langrisser. I only played the first chapter and already I want to play more! XD
Who will quote me next?

z01

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 03:11:29 pm »
He he he... I started playing this before the news appeared on the main page  :D The bad thing about this is that I'll need the 1.01 patch now  :P

There's lot's of hard work and love poured into this translation!

The manual is pretty helpful too (I regret reading it only after starting the 3rd scenario), although I think it contains some spoilers (on the enemy characters pages, so skip those if you can).

Lucius

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 02:10:41 am »
I did a small review, I don't think it's the best but this translation means a lot to me so i had to share my expression about the game

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 02:31:01 am »
I did a small review, I don't think it's the best but this translation means a lot to me so i had to share my expression about the game

http://www.romhacking.net/trans/1147/

Very nice. I reworded your last two sentences slightly. Hope you don't mind. :)
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Lucius

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 02:46:43 am »

No problem at all, Italian is my primary language, Bad English is my secondary language  :D

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 08:50:00 am »

The lines about the translation should be removed. Its' a Game Review. It'll be attached anywhere that game is used.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 07:24:28 am »
I just spend an hour trying to kill Laird in Stage 2. When his HP drops enough he just keeps regenerating himself every round I can't inflict more damage than 3HP. Especially awesome is that those bastard "allies" with their spears who would be perfect against him just stand around dumb as soon as the remaining troops are gone -_-

Edit: AWESOME, my PC just crashed after 3 hours of playing Der Langrisser. That wouldn't matter much if bsnes would actually save the damn sram when it's changed, not only on emu exit. I guess that's it, I don't want to play through those 3 missions again, it appeared to be such a good game  >:(
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 10:11:59 am by KaioShin »
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

byuu

• View Profile
    • A farewell message
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 10:50:28 am »
I just spend an hour trying to kill Laird in Stage 2. When his HP drops enough he just keeps regenerating himself every round I can't inflict more damage than 3HP. Especially awesome is that those bastard "allies" with their spears who would be perfect against him just stand around dumb as soon as the remaining troops are gone -_-

You would probably cry if you've seen the power of Der SRAMgrisser. I was able to kill Leon, Laird, Baldo *and* the unnamed commander on the very first turn in Scenario 1 with it. Hein + Teleport + Ballista, and Erwin + Teleport + Royal Guard. Mmmm ...

Edit: AWESOME, my PC just crashed after 3 hours of playing Der Langrisser. That wouldn't matter much if bsnes would actually save the damn sram when it's changed, not only on emu exit. I guess that's it, I don't want to play through those 3 missions again, it appeared to be such a good game

I'm very sorry about that, I chose not to write out SRAM files on write, it causes a lot of issues, too. What if I save in the middle of a SRAM update? If I save on every single write you'll end up getting ~8,000 file writes a second, infinitely more in games that use SRAM as added scratch RAM. But if I save every few minutes, you'll almost certainly end up getting a "half updated" SRAM file that will not be usable anyway.

Alternatively, I hear SNESGT works pretty good with DL. No lockups reported at all, yet.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 10:54:46 am »
I know it's not really the emulator's fault it happened  :'(

How about a button like in Zsnes with which you can save SRAM on click?

All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.