News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest USA Re-Translation!  (Read 23427 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest USA Re-Translation!
« on: August 01, 2007, 03:45:18 pm »

Update By: DarknessSavior

Basically, whilst taarna32 and I were talking about working on something together, the topic of FF:MQ having a bunch of weird translation changes came up. Thus, I started working on FF:MQ. I’ve always been a big fan of it (*hugs his cart*), so this was an obvious choice for a project.

Tauwasser was gracious enough to help a newbie out (me, duh!) by making a font insertion/extraction program (the font was compressed) for me. I stumbled upon it earlier in July, so I started working on it.

I’ve translated about 99% of the items/weapons/armor, locations, monsters, and a few tidbits here or there (battle messages and such). I took the “Auto” and “Manual” images from the US version, as well as the “White”, “Black”, “Wizard”, “Magic”, and “Left” images. I used them because of space reasons, plus, they’re quite well done.

I’m in dire need of a good translator for this project, as I respect the source material (as I do the other projects I take on) and would like to see the script receive a beautiful translation.

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/trans/1172/)

Pluvius

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: Translations: Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest USA Re-Translation!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 05:48:13 pm »
You might already know this, but I thought it'd be prudent to point out that FFMQ was designed for American audiences and was released in America first.  Therefore, any "weird translation changes" would be in the Japanese version, not the American one.  So for example, "Tristam" would be the "correct" name for that character, not "Lock."

Rob

Lashiec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 06:12:24 pm »
DarknessSavior, fill your database profile! ;)
tl;dr: I'm talking out of my behind and you should not listen to me

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 09:27:19 pm »
You might already know this, but I thought it'd be prudent to point out that FFMQ was designed for American audiences and was released in America first.  Therefore, any "weird translation changes" would be in the Japanese version, not the American one.  So for example, "Tristam" would be the "correct" name for that character, not "Lock."

Rob

But if the Japanese script didn't come first, what was Ted Woosley translating? ;)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Cidolfas

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Compendium
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 12:43:31 am »
It was released *by* Japanese *for* Americans. Take a look at the credits next time you play. 8-)

I'm still not really a fan of retranslations; I thought MQ's did an adequate job for what was essentially a beginner's RPG.

Pluvius

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 01:51:00 am »
But if the Japanese script didn't come first, what was Ted Woosley translating? ;)

I didn't mean that the first script wasn't Japanese, I'm just saying that that doesn't matter.  We got the first version of the game, which is the version of the game that the other versions should be compared to, not the other way around.  If anything, some Japanese fans should be translating our version into Japanese.  The reason why it's so strange to think about it that way is that it's nearly unheard of that a Japanese game developer makes a game specifically for American audiences, then makes a Japanese version later.  We're so used to it being the other way around that when something like this happens, it screws with our heads.

As for retranslations in general, I only support them when the American version is substantially different from the Japanese version (like The Krion Conquest and Phantasy Star, unlike FF6).  I'd say it probably will turn out that FFMQ USA isn't all that different either, but it appears that DarknessSavior already knows that.

Rob

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 01:53:59 am »
it's nearly unheard of that a Japanese game developer makes a game specifically for American audiences, then makes a Japanese version later.

Super Mario Bros. 2 anyone?
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

generalleoff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 04:08:59 am »
Super Mario Bros. 2 is a poor example. That game was released in Japan as a totally diffrent game (on disk). It was modified for US release as a Mario game then later ported back to Japan with the Mario changes in place (as a cartridge). The game was released VERY late in the Famicoms life cycle (1992 vs 1988) and the Super Famicom and Super Mario World were already available at the time. Releasing of the US version into the Japanese market was most likely just a cost/time saving measure to re release a well loved game that was on an unreliable and even at that time commonly failing disk format. It was either release an existing game with minor modification or take the original disk game and completely re due it for a cartridge spending butt loads of money and time in the process at a time when the main focus was the Super Famicom.

As for Mystic Quest. That game along with Secret of Evermore was developed in the US at Squares now defunct L.A. Studio. Maybe the Hawaii studio but I think that came much later during the PlayStation era. The games were developed by a mix of US and Japanese employees of witch also included Ted Woosley. The games script was most likely developed in English and Japanese both at the same time with the primary goal being English. Due to Woosley having direct access to the development team I highly doubt there are any "errors". He was in a position to ask and find out instead of assume or take a best guess as is the case in most other translations. The game was released in the US in early October 1992 and eventually Japan in early September 1993. PAL regions received the game sometime in 1993 as well.

Because of the unique development of this game I do not think any "re translation" is required as I would say both scripts are correct (English more correct). However who gives a damn? It's something for you to do and it should be fun so go for it and good luck. I honestly wont be playing it though.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 01:34:07 pm »
I don't really see a good reason to retranslate this game. I believe it was made when the belief was held that RPG's were too hard for Americans. So they made things easier in an attempt to get Americans into RPG's. Hence you have a very simple game with little to no complexity that anyone can play (Is that good or bad? You decide.). It's been years since I've played the game, but one thing I didn't like about it was that the max level was 40. I like to level grind.

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 02:40:04 pm »
Just because the max level is 40 doesn't mean you can't continue to gain HP and spell uses.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 03:50:37 pm »
Whoa. Lots of replies.

Mystic Quest was actually released in Japanese first, as "Final Fantasy USA: Mystic Quest". So no, "Tristam" is NOT the "correct" name.

Also, I'm unaware of the changes made to dialogue, as I can't fully read it, but as far as everything else is concerned, they made ALOT of unneccessary translation changes. And if they did that in just the lists (items, enemies, etc...) I can only imagine all the dialogue they changed.

Thanks for your interest in my project, though!

DarknessSavior, fill your database profile! ;)

Done. ^_^

~DS
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 03:57:34 pm by DarknessSavior »
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

byuu

• View Profile
    • A farewell message
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 03:53:48 pm »
Just because the max level is 40 doesn't mean you can't continue to gain HP and spell uses.

As if it even matters, when you can just (MAJOR)
Spoiler:
hit the last boss with cure two times to kill him.

Mystic Quest was actually released in Japanese first

Unfortunately, that is incorrect. The US release was on 1992-10-05, and the JP release was on 1993-09-10.

I imagine the differences were more related to localizing a US game for a Japanese audience. For what it's worth, I personally like the Japanese names and such more, as they are more consistent with the rest of the FF series. I don't know that I'd personally want to retranslate the dialogue script for that alone ... a patch for the US version might be more efficient.

Still, I support your project and wish you the best of luck! :D
Don't worry about what others say, just have fun doing what you enjoy! That's all that matters.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 03:59:06 pm »
Oh, eek. Proven wrong again. ;_;

Either way, the Japanese SCRIPT was done first. Which is what matters. I (as I'm sure many others do) would like to see just what Woosley was handed, and what it says. =D

Also, major news. We have a translator! *claps and cheers*

egg has volunteered to be the translator for this project. ^_^

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 04:14:58 pm »

Either way, the Japanese SCRIPT was done first. Which is what matters. I (as I'm sure many others do) would like to see just what Woosley was handed, and what it says. =D

What is this based on? Source?
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 04:31:01 pm »

What is this based on? Source?

The credits have Ted Woolsey listed as "Translator," obviously he had to have been translating from something.

Pluvius

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 04:38:32 pm »

I doubt you'll be able to, since it would be a big surprise if the script in the Japanese version was the same as the draft script that Woolsey was working off of.  Why would it have taken a year longer to publish otherwise?

I never could get what all the Woolsey-bashing was about.  He was probably the best translator working for any video-game company at that time.  Most of the things that people jeer about in his work were (a) trivial, (b) necessitated to make the text flow properly and make sense in English, or (c) mandated by Nintendo's asinine censorship policies.  Or a combination of the three.

Rob

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 05:35:32 pm »
Agreed. It's silly.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Daniel

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 06:02:10 pm »
From what I have seen, the people that bash Woosley do so because his translation localizations aren't direct straight across romanizations. Such as... Sky Render.

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 06:13:38 pm »
I haven't heard any bashing in this thread, just interest in differences between versions.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 06:25:07 pm by Dragonsbrethren »

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 06:22:17 pm »
::)

I haven't heard any bashing in this thread, just interest in differences between versions.

He wasn't talking about this thread specifically Mr. Roller Lolly Eyes, he was commenting on the undue Woolsey script criticisms common across the net and found a plenty on this board.

I think I'm going to take away that smiley. It's been abused around here lately.