News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Metal Max Returns: Roll out!  (Read 15467 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Metal Max Returns: Roll out!
« on: November 06, 2007, 12:28:49 pm »

Update By: Gideon Zhi

After an extremely lengthy betatest period, Aeon Genesis has released a completed translation of Metal Max Returns, a post-apocalyptic RPG with a strong emphasis on heavy artillery.

Metal Max is an open, nonlinear RPG with a heavy focus on sidequests and tank tweaking. The main game has you chasing bounty heads and finding new vehicles for your entourage, but there’s so much other stuff to do! You can pimp your tanks with decals and accessories, you can buy furniture and wall hangings for your home, play with little critters that eat your money and grow to enormous proportions, or enjoy a host of minigames. Go hunting for this week’s target and become a rich and famous bounty hunter!

RHDN Metal Max Returns Page

Relevant Link: (http://agtp.romhack.net/)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 10:29:31 am by Nightcrawler »

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
Re: Translations: Metal Max Returns: Roll out!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 12:32:26 pm »
awesome...can't wait to play!

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 12:34:50 pm »
Shame on the staffer who approved this news and didn't link it to the Translation Entry Page! *finger pointing smiley that doesn't exit*

Back to your regularly scheduled celebration!
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 12:37:46 pm »
Already posted about not having news edit permissions in the staff section... But anyways yeah shame on me.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 12:45:28 pm »
Fantastic news to hear.

I was starting to get a little worried about Gid... after his urgent moving situation and all.

Glad he's still kicking.  Ass that is.

realworksuks

• https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 01:34:11 pm »
You are the man Gideon!  Rock on!  This game looks pretty neat, looking forward to playing!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 01:43:47 pm by realworksuks »
Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks

ded302

• View Profile
    • Earthtale Studios
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 02:04:47 pm »
I played the game for a little bit and like the detail given on this translation.
Completed projects are Bloody Warriors and Shinsenden.

Snatcher

• Vereor Nox
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 02:38:45 pm »
Great Job! I can't wait to play this game! :thumbsup:
"This is a work of fiction. If you find any relation to real people, events, or locations, then you are obviously on crack."
-Kishimoto Masashi

snesmaster40

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 02:55:15 pm »
This game sounds really great (I don't think you can do most of the things in this game, in Metal Saga) and so far it's pretty advanced compared to most SNES RPGs
Are we not men?

noneother

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 04:06:40 pm »
YES
AWESOME

I'd been waiting for that one
Can't wait to get home so I can actually play it

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 06:11:40 pm »
I've been waiting awhile to play this one.
And Gideon (coincidentally) posts it on my birthday. ;D
What can I say but "thank you"? :)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Liana

• Lens Comrade
    • View Profile
    • Liana's blog
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 08:04:40 pm »
This game sounds really great (I don't think you can do most of the things in this game, in Metal Saga) and so far it's pretty advanced compared to most SNES RPGs

Actually, I found it to be very similar to Metal Saga... there's a couple things that are on Gideon's list that MS doesn't have (the gold eaters, the frog mini-game, the flowered seat cover... at least not that I ever saw) but the spirit is similar.

MS tried to have more of a story and a slight amount of characterization. This game, bless its shallow yet highly engaging little heart, doesn't even bother. ;) And, well, it's much faster... although that's easy for me to say, because the last few play-throughs through, I've played MMR with the turbo and fast-forward keys on almost continually. Aside from its being faster, though, I think it's better paced in general than MS and just plain old more fun. I never did finish MS, but I'm starting my fifth playthrough of MMR tonight...

oh, and happy birthday KingMike :)

Cless

• View Profile
    • Phantasian Productions
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 08:40:09 pm »
Looks good!

Reminds me that I picked up Metal Saga the day it came out, and it still sits piled high on my game backlog. :/

Maegra

• Negative Nancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 10:20:51 pm »
Isn't Metal Saga the remake of Metal Max returns?
was looking forward for this translation.

He left my mind intact. I can dream, I can wonder, I can lament. Simply, he has taken his revenge. I have no mouth. And I must scream.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 10:36:02 pm »
Metal Saga's a followup. It takes place after the end of Metal Max/Returns; you never see any of the characters from MMR, but there are plenty of references, a number of similar bounty heads, and quite a few remixed music tracks.

Liana

• Lens Comrade
    • View Profile
    • Liana's blog
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 10:41:15 pm »
You might be confused because MMR itself is a remake of the first Metal Max for the Famicom.

Incidentally, while the plot of MS is slightly related to that of MMR/MM, the Metal Saga game for the DS (Hagane no Kisetsu) is a direct sequel to MMR. The first thing you learn in that one is that the main character from MMR is dead, and the main character is his son. I haven't played too far in yet, but right now I'm looking for the soldier character from MMR, who is still alive and aged tremendously well, judging by the game's official artwork.

WDragon

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 08:59:01 am »
Another fine work of Mr.Zhi, bravo and thank you very much.

D

snesmaster40

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 06:08:20 pm »

Actually, I found it to be very similar to Metal Saga... there's a couple things that are on Gideon's list that MS doesn't have (the gold eaters, the frog mini-game, the flowered seat cover... at least not that I ever saw) but the spirit is similar.

MS tried to have more of a story and a slight amount of characterization. This game, bless its shallow yet highly engaging little heart, doesn't even bother. ;) And, well, it's much faster... although that's easy for me to say, because the last few play-throughs through, I've played MMR with the turbo and fast-forward keys on almost continually. Aside from its being faster, though, I think it's better paced in general than MS and just plain old more fun. I never did finish MS, but I'm starting my fifth playthrough of MMR tonight...

oh, and happy birthday KingMike :)

Yeah as I played it more I realised that Metal Saga borrowed most of it's stuff from this game and when I first played MS I thought it was pretty unique with it's features.

I also didn't finish MS, I blame the loading times
Are we not men?

getter77

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 09:28:44 pm »
Another fine project bested!  I really dig the little details in the game...like how it looks when you dodge, miss, or stuff just bounces off unharmed.

Haven't quite made it out of the first area yet....but I can see fun to be had down the line with this one.  Already learned the hard way about "weekly" bounties.....savage devs.  :banghead:

Liana

• Lens Comrade
    • View Profile
    • Liana's blog
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 09:49:40 pm »
For some reason, Metal Saga seemed to me like it was trying too hard, somehow. I liked it, that was just my impression of it. But I remember being deeply impressed, almost overwhelmed really, by just how heavy a trip down memory lane it was. For me, of course, the memory wasn't all that long ago... it must be something to have played the original Famicom version, then moved on to MMR, and then Metal Saga. Maybe like the difference between the original Donkey Kong and the SNES versions, but the Famicom MM was such a deeper game than that to start with...

Getter, I'll spare you the misery I could have spared myself by looking this up months ago instead of yesterday... ;) The weekly bounties are tied to the hunter's level. Every time you go up a level, if you've killed at least one monster they're looking for, the bounty changes. So I've been making a killing getting the new bounty right at the start of a level and watching the XP until just about time for him to level up. One could also make a killing by killing the hunter and hunting without him, if one was looking for a particularly well-paying bounty, but... that would be cruel. ;)
(oh, and if you love the details, you'll dig the Overstuffed Wallet. Good times.)