News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Rockboard Translation: COMPLETE!  (Read 9052 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Rockboard Translation: COMPLETE!
« on: January 01, 2008, 09:22:27 am »

Update By: Dr. Cossack

After several years of efforts, one of the few Mega Man games never available in English has been fully translated:
Wily & Light's Rockboard: That's Paradise!!

Rockboard is a NES game build around a concept similar to Monopoly: you and a few other players (humans or computers) duke it out to buy lots, build labs and run your opponents into bankruptcy  on four game boards. The game was originally released in 1993 in Japan only, and no fan-made translations have been completed until now.

Two patches are available within the same download archive: one keeps the original Japanese names (such as Rockman), while the other brings everything up to date with the North American releases (with Mega Man and friends).

Information, screenshots and the download file are all available on the Mega Man PC Website: Dr. Cossack's Lab.

Staff Note: You can find the translation archived on RHDN here.

Relevant Link: (http://www.interordi.com/mega_man_pc/)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 06:39:28 pm by Nightcrawler »

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
Re: Translations: Rockboard translation: COMPLETE!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 10:35:38 am »
I almost caught a heart attack, I was like NO WAY, and then I was like OH SHYEAH! I'll have to give this a spin, thanks for the New Years gift like yoyoyo...  :beer:

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 11:35:17 am »
Neeeeeaaaaat.

Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 12:20:28 pm »
Is this game good? I might try it out.

Mega-Dog

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Rockboard Translation: COMPLETE!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 11:16:27 pm »
Finally I can play this game LOL!

Kitsune Sniper

• Complaining about mods == trolling, whee
    • View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 12:04:35 am »
Holy crap. At least one person has been working on this game at any given point in time since I came into the scene.

And now it's done?

FUCK, I feel old. Congrats.
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 08:31:07 pm »
Whoa.  This was the archetypal translation-hacker's nightmare, wasn't it?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Dr. Cossack

• View Profile
    • Interordi.com
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 08:55:38 pm »
Is this game good? I might try it out.

I'm obviously biaised, but I'd say that it's worth a try, yes. The game can involve quite a bit of strategy and has a surprising number of options for a NES game. It's better in multiplayer, by the way. It supports up to four human players!

FUCK, I feel old. Congrats.

Same here, after all these years!

I'm glad to get some positive feedback on this. I was afraid that most people wouldn't really care anymore at this point!
- Dr. Cossack

ION Gamma: Post and share your online game IDs!
Interordi.com: Mega Man games, webdesign, ROM hacking, web-based tools, ...

Nezz

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 08:01:40 am »
I've been lurking quite a while, but this patch finally motivated me to register an account so I can say a big THANK YOU. I've been waiting for this forever. It's a wonderful game, and now it's finally playable!

However, I did notice a few quirks. There are several untranslated text strings, for example; but since I understand little about hacking, I don't know whether that is due to technical limitations.

More troublesome are the effect descriptions of cards and squares. They are often quite awkward, misleading and sometimes even flat out wrong. The Transform square, for example, is described as transforming for one TURN, although the effect lasts for one LAP. The effect of the Electro Card is described as "destroy"; it doesn't mention what can be destroyed (a lab). I understand text space is limited in ROM, but then, every card description repeats whole redundant sentences like "when this card is used" and so forth, space that could be used for a real description. Apropos space, why is the card you get when you land on a square you fully own a Space Card? Shouldn't it rather be Special Card?

Now I sounded more critical than I wanted to; that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to assure you that your work is appreciated, and should you choose to continue and improve the work, it would also be appreciated.

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 08:34:29 am »
Question: Does the patch with the US names use the Megaman 4 name for "Rock," or the MMPU name? (Mega  :banghead:)

Dr. Cossack

• View Profile
    • Interordi.com
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 08:51:06 pm »
However, I did notice a few quirks. There are several untranslated text strings, for example; but since I understand little about hacking, I don't know whether that is due to technical limitations.

More troublesome are the effect descriptions of cards and squares. They are often quite awkward, misleading and sometimes even flat out wrong. The Transform square, for example, is described as transforming for one TURN, although the effect lasts for one LAP. The effect of the Electro Card is described as "destroy"; it doesn't mention what can be destroyed (a lab). I understand text space is limited in ROM, but then, every card description repeats whole redundant sentences like "when this card is used" and so forth, space that could be used for a real description. Apropos space, why is the card you get when you land on a square you fully own a Space Card? Shouldn't it rather be Special Card?

First of all, thanks for the feedback!

In order:
  • Untranslated text: it's possible that a few lines were missed. Because of the random nature of the game, it's difficult to test everything throughly.
  • Transformation space: good point. In my mind, it was "one turn" as in "one loop around the board", but the choice of words is poor.
  • Elec card: not enough room to be more specific.  :(
  • Redundant sentences: the line "when this card is used" is not repeated all through the descriptions. It's a single line called by almost all card descriptions, the call itself using two bytes only. Removing it won't help to expand the descriptions.
  • Space card vs special card: my translator said "Space card", so I'm running with that.

In any case, I'll release an update patch eventually with the corrections that people have sent in. :)

Question: Does the patch with the US names use the Megaman 4 name for "Rock," or the MMPU name? (Mega  :banghead:)

The name "Mega Man" only shows up once, on the picture of his card. It's written in full as "Mega Man".

The card itself is named "Mega Card", just like any of the others: "Cut Card", "Pharaoh Card", and so on. As such, you don't have to live with the PSP remake's names. ;)
- Dr. Cossack

ION Gamma: Post and share your online game IDs!
Interordi.com: Mega Man games, webdesign, ROM hacking, web-based tools, ...