News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Romancia Translation Released First Ever NES VWF!  (Read 18840 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Pennywise

After a year and half, Dragon Slayer Jr. - Romancia is done!

DvD Translations’ translation of Romancia features a variable-width font, a fully translated, edited, and polished script, a translated title screen, cleaned up/restored the graphics on the title screen, and extensive beta testing to weed out bugs.

It also features enhancements to game play to make the game more playable/enjoyable including: bug fixes to the original code, script embellishment for better hints, (optional) restoration of a previously unattainable item, and (optional) removal of the main situation that required you to have to restart the game.

Although greatly improved from when it was first beta tested, figuring out what to do in the game is still the most difficult part, and none of us can kill the final boss without extensive use of save-states.

If you are ready for a challenge, try it out!

Staff - Get it here at RHDN.

Relevant Link: (http://www.geocities.com/dvdtranslations/)

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
Re: Translations: Romancia Translation Released First Ever NES VWF!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 03:45:09 pm »
An NES VWF? To say I'm impressed is an understatement. :o
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 05:11:37 pm »
That's why I get disappointed seeing GBA games and such without a VWF. :(

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 05:19:58 pm »
That's why I get disappointed seeing GBA games and such without a VWF. :(

Tell that Atlus :P
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 07:57:44 pm »
An NES VWF? To say I'm impressed is an understatement. :o

Thanks RedComet!

The funny thing is, as I note in the read-me, the only reason I did it was out of necessity!
Because of the way it was coded, it really wasn't possible to expand the text box.

I decided to attempt the VWF as a fun challenge.  When I got it working correctly, the real problem hit me.  I had to figure out why it was taking too long to be able to display properly during the NMI.  I tried everything.

I almost gave up  :banghead:  before I found that making the font only 7 bits high solved the timing issue.   :woot!:  I got really lucky.

BTW, if anyone wants to use the routine in their project, I'd be happy to share it.  With a little tinkering I could have made it optionally underline text too.  Still, I don't know if it would work for most games. :-\

The funny thing is, hacking the compressed graphic tiles on the title screen and fixing up all of Tokyo Shoseki's graphics mistakes when porting the title screen from the MSX2 took me longer than the VWF.

Maegra

• Negative Nancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 08:43:54 pm »
Oh god I've wanted to play this for so long...

He left my mind intact. I can dream, I can wonder, I can lament. Simply, he has taken his revenge. I have no mouth. And I must scream.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 08:53:46 pm »
Still, I don't know if it would work for most games. :-\

How about listing some requirements that would have to be met or something.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 08:56:32 pm »
BTW, if anyone wants to use the routine in their project, I'd be happy to share it.  With a little tinkering I could have made it optionally underline text too.  Still, I don't know if it would work for most games. :-\

I'd love to take a look at it sometime if you don't mind. :)

I'm curious, have you tried your patch out on the hardware?

Kitsune Sniper

• Complaining about mods == trolling, whee
    • View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 10:02:16 pm »
If you need someone to test the game, I can ask for help at DigitalPress or NintendoAge. Lots of people have PowerPak flashcarts there. :)
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 10:05:57 pm »

I did it in Zelda 1, but that's a special case. It needs to be a game that uses VRAM (since VROM should by definition not be writable), there needs to be enough free VRAM space to write the entire string in tiles. I suppose you could overwrite the font, but that's only a good idea if there is only ever one string on the screen at a time.
(in the case of Zelda, it works because dialouge is only ever two lines, and there's enough blank tiles (was probably kana in the Japanese version) that I could write out the entire string in VRAM without worrying about screwing up the numbers/letter tiles used for all the rest of the text)
The problem comes along because the NES PPU can only access 8KB of memory for tiles, and often the space is already claimed by the font (if you have several menus on screen at once, you probably want a set of fixed-width tiles to remain in VRAM so you don't screw up other menus)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

YummyCake

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 11:44:17 pm »
Congratulations on the translation, and using a variable width font in this NES game!

Is the game good? Looks like a side scrolling action RPG, so may be fun.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 11:53:00 pm »
You're working on Zelda? To be honest, the translations of 1 and 2 are pretty bad. Even Nintendo themselves knows that. As shown by the Zelda 1 intro being updated in newer re-releases.

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 01:35:51 am »

I did it in Zelda 1, but that's a special case. It needs to be a game that uses VRAM (since VROM should by definition not be writable), there needs to be enough free VRAM space to write the entire string in tiles. I suppose you could overwrite the font, but that's only a good idea if there is only ever one string on the screen at a time.
(in the case of Zelda, it works because dialogue is only ever two lines, and there's enough blank tiles (was probably kana in the Japanese version) that I could write out the entire string in VRAM without worrying about screwing up the numbers/letter tiles used for all the rest of the text)
The problem comes along because the NES PPU can only access 8KB of memory for tiles, and often the space is already claimed by the font (if you have several menus on screen at once, you probably want a set of fixed-width tiles to remain in VRAM so you don't screw up other menus)

I totally agree with King Mike here.
1) It needs to have VRAM because you have to actually modify the tileset, the "Pattern Table"
2) You need to have enough free tiles to stand for the characters to be written
3) You need to have some free memory in the NES, 1 byte per pixel row and I think maybe 4 more bytes? (I haven't looked at the routine in months), some of them in the later group needed to be in Page 0, but if ROM space and time aren't an issue they could be anywhere.

In the case of Romancia:
1) It already was writing the font to the Pattern Table in VRAM, just NOT VWF, instead they were switching between Katakana and Hiragana using the same codes for letters in both.
2) It is 3 rows of 10 tiles or 30 characters in the pattern table permanently dedicated to the text.
It sounds identical to how KM says he changed Zelda 1, but it sounds like Zelda might have had less dedicated tiles?

KM, how many dedicated tiles per each of the 2 rows in Zelda?

If you need someone to test the game, I can ask for help at DigitalPress or NintendoAge. Lots of people have PowerPak flashcarts there. :)

Kitsune Sniper, please, go ahead and ask someone to try it.  I would be interested to see if it works perfectly on the real thing.  My guess is it is going to work; I didn't do anything that fancy, BUT I wouldn't be surprised if it makes the screen flash while the text is being written or while it is erased since the timing was so critical in the emulators.

I only have a Wildcard for the SNES, so I couldn't test it myself.  :(

Pennywise,
Many (most?) games don't need to write the text during the NMI.  Games that aren't writing the text during the NMI will have no timing issue using my routine.  The reason this game HAS to write the text during the NMI is that after talking to people if you start to walk away before the text is completely written or when you leave them after seeing the text, the text has to finish being written and erased, or just erased, WHILE your character is walking away.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 12:44:51 pm »
Incomplete Zelda 1 VWF hack.
http://kingmike.emuxhaven.net/Misc/zelda_vwf.zip

Tilemap routine borked. Got a headache fixing it.
But if you talk to the wooden sword guy and look at the VRAM, you'll see the text is stored in VRAM correctly. (uses tiles $31-60, which are indeed the blanked-out katakana tiles. 48 tiles, exactly enough for the 24-character x 2 line screen space)
(and any other dialouge in the game will crash because it hasn't been rewritten for the new line-break codes)

I suppose I could just go the lazy way, and write the tiles $31-48 to the upper line on the nametable,
and $49-60 to the lower line on the nametable.

Wasn't planning to do retranslations, just wanted to try out a VWF hack.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 02:00:09 pm »
I will be submitting the routine to the documents section later today for those who are interested.  :crazy:

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 02:20:26 pm »
I will be submitting the routine to the documents section later today for those who are interested.  :crazy:

Awesome. Can't wait. :)

In the meantime I think I'll take a look at KingMike's code.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 02:26:38 pm »
well, i'm actually gonna talk about gameplay here(Z0MG!!1!!!111) and ask: how the hell do you get past the barrier in the forest? 1 screen in and i'm stuck. i'm usually not this dumb...most of the time.

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 10:33:59 pm »
well, i'm actually gonna talk about gameplay here(Z0MG!!1!!!111) and ask: how the hell do you get past the barrier in the forest? 1 screen in and i'm stuck. i'm usually not this dumb...most of the time.

Don't feel bad.  I was stuck here for a long time!
Yeah, we tried to improve the hint.  It used to just say "It's cursed!" but we changed it to imply what you are supposed to do...

Try killing monsters until, well, you'll see.  Remember, you now can go back to the first 2 guys to recharge your health and swords, and then return to kill more monsters.  After this point there's a LOT you can do before you will likely be stuck again.  I say this figuring out what to do in the game is still pretty darn hard.

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 08:06:25 am »

Plays beautifully on my powerpak. :)

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 10:50:46 pm »
Plays beautifully on my powerpak. :)
Thanks Neil!  I am pleasently surprised.  ;D

I'd get one of those in a heartbeat if someone could come up with a simple hardware hack to allow an NES using one to play the extra audio channels of the MMC5, VRC6, VRC7, etc.  And, of course, someone would have to program the audio support in to the mappers, but retrozone said the onboard processor would be powerful enough to handle it.

Anyone have any ideas on that?