News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Dragon Scroll translation  (Read 10409 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Dragon Scroll translation
« on: April 27, 2008, 04:22:02 am »

Update By: KingMike

I have released a translation of the NES action-RPG Dragon Scroll.

Created by Konami, Dragon Scroll is similar to the original Zelda.
It's shorter than Zelda, but it can be much more of a challenge to find all the items without help.

Thanks to Eien Ni Hen for the translation and FlashPV for the title design.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://kingmike.emuxhaven.net)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Translations: Dragon Scroll translation
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 10:39:44 am »
This just occured to me, but shouldn't it be "Demonic Dragon"? I don't think it's actually a demon per se, but perhaps it exhibits some characteristics of a demon.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 11:47:49 am »
wow, this game is full of fail  ::) seriously though, 36 digit password(hate to imagine what the japanese must have gone through), and it takes forever to get to a higher level, especially since you don't get magic until 3, which is beyond 130 exp already....

found a couple hiccups. "lad to see you" when meeting a gambling guy for instance. and the first time i met a blue guy, after accidentally hitting him, which i discovered by the 2nd time i met one was the right thing to do, the word "is" in his first page of speech stayed on the 2nd page of his speech.

not that big a deal, you still did a better job than most commercial translations :P. fun game if you can deal with the exp. system(not my most favorite thing to deal with in non-rpgs), and save states, you sure as hell wouldn't want to have to write down a password that long every time.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 11:59:15 am »
Experience chart:
Spoiler:
2: 50
3: 200
4: 400
5: 650
6: 950
7: 1300
8: 1700
9: 2200
10: 2800
11: 3500
12: 4300
13: 5300
14: 6700
15: 7500
There could be a couple bugs left in the text window code (probably with detecting tilemap address changes). I might be able to fix it with a FCEU savestate right before.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 02:20:42 pm »
 :o

if they don't start giving better than 1 and 2 exp. per enemy, i can't imagine anyone getting to 7. hardcore masochists i could see making it to 6, and i know i'd get bored before reaching 5.

you want me to make save states? if so how/where would i send 'em?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 05:48:56 pm »
Requi and Castor are better places for early levels.
The enemies aren't too tough and should get like 5-8 exp. per enemy.
Don't go to Maten, though. It takes like 16 shots with the Magic Staff (default weapon) to kill one enemy.
(when you get the best weapon, it'll take 3)

realworksuks

• https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 08:06:50 pm »
Looks good, I like Zelda type games... will give it a shot, thanks!  :thumbsup:
Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks

Darkmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 02:10:54 am »
Well, I seem to have all the staffs (two beside the starting one, right?)  I can only USE the second until I level more I guess.  I got the crystal ball.  I'm exploring some area where I can't understand anybody, and I have no idea what I'm doing otherwise.  Most of these caves seem very pointless, with a chest to restore magic at the end, when I have no magic to use.  *shrug*  Level 7 already, and I've made pretty much NO progress. =P

Back to exploring. 

EDIT: Alright, found the fruit thing that reverses stone, and the item to understand gibberish.  I'm now level 13 and found 3 books.  Lets see, I also got that branch item, which I have no idea what to do with, and a gold ring, which again, I have no idea what it is for.  I've turned some guy back from a statue, but he didn't seem to have anything worthwhile to say, and didn't give me anything.  All signs point to the fact that I need that damn magic key (besides all the locked doors everywhere).  No idea where to find it.  The stone statue guy mentioned the greedy king, but where I think the greedy king is, just more locked doors.  Can't find no 'Tower of Illusion'.  I might be missing something from visiting an old area from before I got the Tongues potion or before I realized that you could shoot certain rocks to 'talk' to them. 

Suggestions? 

EDIT2:  Bah, every time I think I make headway, nada.  I believe I found where the branch is used, but there's nothing over there!  Just some platform, and a door back to where I came from...  *sigh*

EDIT3: OK, again.  Found something else to do with that fruit, and snagged a Dragon Scale.  Now just gotta figure out what THIS is for. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 04:31:45 am by Darkmoon »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 07:06:39 pm »
About those items:
Spoiler:
The Gold Ring reduces the damage taken from enemies.
The Dragon Scale is needed to be able to fight the final boss.

Darkmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 12:33:19 am »
That's good to know.

Bah, I'm still stuck though.

Been all over, can't seem to figure out what to do now.  Unless I'm missing a certain rock I have to shoot, or something non-obvious I have to do, I'm pretty sure I covered every bit I have access to. 

EDIT:  Yep, did miss something.  This time a tree.  =/  I can see I'll have to do a lot more random experimentation, but I've managed to get the rain bell, stillness bell, and necklace now.  Guess I gotta mess around with those some more 'till I find something else.  Found the herb that prevent the controls from getting messed up, and the silver ring (gee, I wish I would've found THAT one a lot earlier.)  And, I'm stuck once again.  *sigh* 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 04:13:37 am by Darkmoon »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 09:53:40 am »
Entering the Tower of Illusion might be the most difficult puzzle in the game.

Spoiler:
Use the Rain Bell near a circle of stones in Zarik Desert. After the storm, stand in the center, face up and use the Yunke Fruit to enter the invisible door.

Darkmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 01:56:18 pm »
Entering the Tower of Illusion might be the most difficult puzzle in the game.

Spoiler:
Use the Rain Bell near a circle of stones in Zarik Desert. After the storm, stand in the center, face up and use the Yunke Fruit to enter the invisible door.

THANK you.  I knew I had something to do with that circle of stones.  I swear I even tried something similar to that, at least the first part.  And the second part in various spots and on the stones.  The positioning seems to have to be fairly accurate there.  Just a tiny bit further south, and it worked right away. 

EDIT:  OK, made quite a bit of progress now.  7 books.  Fought three bosses.  Stuck again now.  Can't fight the last boss until I get the last book.  No clue on where to get the last book.  And for that matter, I assume I'm missing a ring too.  Got the gold and silver rings. 

Got two items I'm not sure exactly what they do either.  Got the Dark Bell or Night Bell, or whatever it was called.  Makes it nighttime, I guess.  Doesn't seem to actually do anything anywhere I tried it.  Except one of the bosses, where it made all of them congregate in the middle of the screen.  Then, there's the Hades Bell, which doesn't seem to do anything at all. 

Anyway, here's the books I can remember finding, perhaps you can point me in the right direction: 
Spoiler:
Got the three books from the bosses, one from a thief on the mountain region, one from the locked door in the starting region in the room full of barbarian-type enemies.  Hmm, I don't remember which dungeon it was in, but it was pretty much in plain sight, umm the book of 'Time' I believe.  And I'm afraid I don't remember where I got other book. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 07:36:21 pm by Darkmoon »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 09:30:34 am »
Here's a list I made of the books' locations:
Spoiler:
Books:
Book of Darkness - Get it from Unasu in Maten, after chasing him all the way to the top.
Book of Dragons - In a chest on Maten mountain.
Book of Time - Requi Temple.
Book of Wind - Use the Yunke Fruit on Safra, in the third room of Zarik Tower. Again in the first room, after getting the Magic Key and opening the "empty" chest in the Tower of Illusion.
Book of Water - In the locked room of one of the dungeons of Dermos Kingdom (the forest).
Book of Fire - Defeat the King of Dermos.
Book of Earth - Defeat the King of Castor.
Book of Lightning - Defeat the King of Requi.

As far as I know, there's only two rings.

curiousfox

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 08:11:55 am »
good job mike. it does not work with nestopia1.38 or do I need to tweak a setting but it works for jsnes1.0.   ;D

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 11:42:14 am »
Works fine in 1.37, but not 1.38. The original runs in both versions.

Darkmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 12:55:31 am »
Thanks!  Was missing the book of wind.  Even though I had pretty much scoured the whole place again, I never went back to that particular corner.  Would have been a bit better if they had put him behind the locked door, where you're bound to not miss him. 

Ending was... brief to say the least.  =P

Seems strange there'd be no third ring, just for filling in the spaces, as every other spot got filled.  Oh well.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 11:36:20 am »
Okay, now for the secret ending pic:

Spoiler:
Password "NARUME CALLED. HE ANSWERED. NOW HE WILL SLEEP." (remove spaces and periods)
As mentioned in the script help, that was the best I could do to fit BRPXQZME's translation into exactly 36 characters.

Nestopia's homepage says 1.38 doesn't support iNES-format (most common ROM format) Mapper 23 (among a few others) ROMs which this game uses.
My guess is that it checksum detects the good Japanese dumps and does whatever corrections.
I just tested it by taking an original Japanese ROM, slap some text in some empty space, and it no longer runs.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 12:38:57 pm by KingMike »

Darkmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 02:31:33 pm »
Heh, the date on that screen just happens to be my birthday.  Well, except the year, I'm older than that.

An odd little easter egg, it seems. 

It was fun, if a bit frustrating at times. 

Bakamoichigei

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 11:59:32 am »
Well, I seem to have all the staffs (two beside the starting one, right?)  I can only USE the second until I level more I guess.  I got the crystal ball.  I'm exploring some area where I can't understand anybody, and I have no idea what I'm doing otherwise.  Most of these caves seem very pointless, with a chest to restore magic at the end, when I have no magic to use.  *shrug*  Level 7 already, and I've made pretty much NO progress. =P

Back to exploring. 

EDIT: Alright, found the fruit thing that reverses stone, and the item to understand gibberish.  I'm now level 13 and found 3 books.  Lets see, I also got that branch item, which I have no idea what to do with, and a gold ring, which again, I have no idea what it is for.  I've turned some guy back from a statue, but he didn't seem to have anything worthwhile to say, and didn't give me anything.  All signs point to the fact that I need that damn magic key (besides all the locked doors everywhere).  No idea where to find it.  The stone statue guy mentioned the greedy king, but where I think the greedy king is, just more locked doors.  Can't find no 'Tower of Illusion'.  I might be missing something from visiting an old area from before I got the Tongues potion or before I realized that you could shoot certain rocks to 'talk' to them. 

Suggestions? 

EDIT2:  Bah, every time I think I make headway, nada.  I believe I found where the branch is used, but there's nothing over there!  Just some platform, and a door back to where I came from...  *sigh*

EDIT3: OK, again.  Found something else to do with that fruit, and snagged a Dragon Scale.  Now just gotta figure out what THIS is for. 

I am currently stuck at the EXACT same spot, practically word for word.

EDIT:  Yep, did miss something.  This time a tree.  =/  I can see I'll have to do a lot more random experimentation, but I've managed to get the rain bell, stillness bell, and necklace now.  Guess I gotta mess around with those some more 'till I find something else.  Found the herb that prevent the controls from getting messed up, and the silver ring (gee, I wish I would've found THAT one a lot earlier.)  And, I'm stuck once again.  *sigh*

Where did you find those items?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 12:09:07 pm by Bakamoichigei »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 03:44:25 pm »
The items requested.

Rain Bell (needs Yunke Fruit)
Spoiler:
Shoot the Yunke Fruit at the tree across the river from where you found the Yunke Fruit

Necklace (needs Yunke Fruit)
Spoiler:
In the 8x3 grid of stone heads in Castor, shoot the fourth one from the left in the middle row with the Yunke Fruit

Stillness Bell (needs Rain Bell, Yunke Fruit and Nire Branch)
Spoiler:
Near the northwest part of Requi, shoot the Yunke Fruit at the lake while standing between two stone status. If you have the Nire Branch, a bridge will magically appear and you will cross. Use the Rain Bell on the alter.

Silver Ring
Spoiler:
Taking the east path from the starting point, go until you find a door. Enter the room, and go to the north wall. Stand between the two stone heads for a few seconds.

Reverse Grass (needs Rain Bell)
Spoiler:
Look for a "+"-shaped formation of rocks near the east side of Dermos (forest). Use the Rain Bell to make the chest appear