News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy II *is* Easy Type  (Read 14142 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy II *is* Easy Type
« on: July 06, 2008, 03:42:09 pm »

Update By: Dragonsbrethren

This is a simple hack that ports all of Final Fantasy IV Easy Type's data changes into Final Fantasy II US. An extended description, from the readme:

I'm fairly certain anyone with even a mild interest in Final Fantasy IV knows
that the Easy Type version, which was released in Japan at about the same time
the US got its Final Fantasy II, has many interesting changes that aren't
present in any other version of the game. Nonetheless if you spend enough time
on forums you will inevitably find people who use “Easy Type” and “Final
Fantasy II” interchangeably, as if they were identical to one another, despite
all the evidence to the contrary available via a quick search online.

However, this erroneous claim is what inspired me to make this hack. Every
byte of data that was changed for Easy Type has been ported to the 1.1
revision of Final Fantasy II US, text changes have only been made for the two
new swords and anything else that needed text, the rest of the game is left
entirely intact. This is as close to what we would have gotten in 1991 had
Final Fantasy II US been a localized version of Easy Type. I hope you enjoy
playing through this under-appreciated version of Final Fantasy IV.

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/419/)

Aquillion

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy II *is* Easy Type
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 03:01:27 am »
So...  is there a complete list of changes between FFIV easy type and FFII US?  Is it just the weapons, command, and so forth mentioned in the patch description?

Deathlike2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:25:09 pm »
So...  is there a complete list of changes between FFIV easy type and FFII US?  Is it just the weapons, command, and so forth mentioned in the patch description?

No, but if you look hard enough, you will find what you seek.  ;)

You can't really say there are "differences" between both since FF4ET came a little later. There are many similarities, but more radical changes late game... particularly once you visit the moon.
FF4 Research Continues
Working on the next Yet To Be Named FF4 "Hardtype" Hack

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 03:47:59 pm »

It would take me forever, so here's a quick list from memory:

• About half the equipment has different (improved) stats.
  • The Ancient and Mythril/Silver swords were cut and replaced with the Coral and Piggy swords. The Piggy sword is non-metallic.
  • Quite a few monsters got stat and/or battle script changes, the most noticeable ones are on the moon.
  • The CallBook (Grimoire), Gold and Silver apples weren't dummied out in this version. CallBooks are quite common, actually.
  • Cecil's Dark(ness) command wasn't removed in this version, all the other commands that were cut from FF2us are still missing.
  • A save point was added in the Lunar core.
  • And of course the most well known change, Zeromus was completely redesigned.

Plus just about everything got a name change, those aren't reflected in this patch though.

Here's an awful-quality movie of me fighting Zeromus in this hack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9xoinUS4pM

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 04:57:57 am »
Damn. Not even a sucky translation can stop that scene from being epicness personified. Except...the transformation. I dunno why, but the EG form doesn't have quite the same "OH SH**" quotient as watching evil ghost Zeromus turn into freakin' cosmic horror Zeromus just as the final boss theme picks up. And yeah, that all-party Doom number...that's cheapness personified, and this is coming from the man who magically goes back to full HP in the middle of the fight without any visual cue whatsoever. On that subject, just what is that Hug (Embrace?) attack supposed to do again? Something tells me it's not meant to be Zeromus' idea of playing fair by restoring Rosa's HP in the middle of the battle...
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 10:31:30 am »
I have some boring questions. What's a CallBook? Are they in the US PSX version? If so, their name?

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 05:14:23 pm »
Call books? Those are the monster-drop summons [Goblin, Cockatrice, Mind Flayer, and Bomb].

Hug/Embrace is supposed to make the final boss battle easier, Ryusui.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 05:22:20 pm »
I thought it was an item that would summon a random summoned monster (much like FF6's Magicite).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 05:40:08 pm »
That's actually what it is, I bet, since the abbreviated change list above didn't mention the monster-drop summons.

Deathlike2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 06:28:04 pm »
Damn. Not even a sucky translation can stop that scene from being epicness personified. Except...the transformation. I dunno why, but the EG form doesn't have quite the same "OH SH**" quotient as watching evil ghost Zeromus turn into freakin' cosmic horror Zeromus just as the final boss theme picks up.

The only sane reasoning for the image change is that FF4 came first and someone thought it was a good idea to make the game a bit more district... besides changing his battle script.

And yeah, that all-party Doom number...that's cheapness personified, and this is coming from the man who magically goes back to full HP in the middle of the fight without any visual cue whatsoever.

Why not? Advancing the climax of his death is better than his Meteor attack that does putrid damage, if not get automatically evaded due to high magic evade (2x multiplier with 30+% magic evade is more than enough apparently). The full HP issue is a clever way of increasing the max HP of the beast (this boss has to be facing the 16-bit variable HP limit).. yet in can be avoided altogether if you expose one particular bug.

On that subject, just what is that Hug (Embrace?) attack supposed to do again? Something tells me it's not meant to be Zeromus' idea of playing fair by restoring Rosa's HP in the middle of the battle...

Hug/Embrace is supposed to inflict Stone status and full healing to the target. Regardless of Stone status being inflicted, the healing is dealt (like many HP+status inflicting attacks). I've already gotten around to fully documenting (just writing the behavior down, not that most romhackers don't already know) all the spells for the game. The attack itself is non-threatening when everyone has protection against Stone status.. which is generally everyone that has a Ribbon (you get two of them) or an Aegis Shield.

The Call Books is the FF4A's terminology of the regular Grimoires. A random summon (other than Asura) is selected from all the standard summons (minus the special monster-item dropped summons) with a spell multiplier of 8.

The item drops are radically different in FF4ET. The Call Books tend to drop relatively frequently (Imps/Goblins are the best bet), which already existed in the original game as rare drops. These items are not really that useful once you are able to face Asura or Leviathan, but allow you to breeze through the original game quickly if you wanted to...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 06:35:50 pm by Deathlike2 »
FF4 Research Continues

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 08:36:20 pm »
Ah, OK. I think I've seen a few call books. They're probably rare in that version. Thanks.

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 08:59:00 pm »
Damn. Not even a sucky translation can stop that scene from being epicness personified. Except...the transformation. I dunno why, but the EG form doesn't have quite the same "OH SH**" quotient as watching evil ghost Zeromus turn into freakin' cosmic horror Zeromus just as the final boss theme picks up.

The only sane reasoning for the image change is that FF4 came first and someone thought it was a good idea to make the game a bit more district... besides changing his battle script.

I always figured it was just an alternate design they came up with during development that was rejected for the original but put to use in Easy Type. That's even more likely if they got around to actually making the sprite before rejecting the design.

And yeah, that all-party Doom number...that's cheapness personified, and this is coming from the man who magically goes back to full HP in the middle of the fight without any visual cue whatsoever.

The multi-target Doom/Count only comes when it's near death, so you should be able to finish it off before it runs out with little trouble. It does have a single target Doom that it can use throughout the battle but I rarely see it, I'm not sure what exactly triggers it.

The Call Books is the FF4A's terminology of the regular Grimoires. A random summon (other than Asura) is selected from all the standard summons (minus the special monster-item dropped summons) with a spell multiplier of 8.

The item drops are radically different in FF4ET. The Call Books tend to drop relatively frequently (Imps/Goblins are the best bet), which already existed in the original game as rare drops. These items are not really that useful once you are able to face Asura or Leviathan, but allow you to breeze through the original game quickly if you wanted to...

Yeah, I named them "CallBook" in this hack because I felt it fit in better with the rest of FF2us's item names.

Deathlike2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 10:49:02 pm »

I always figured it was just an alternate design they came up with during development that was rejected for the original but put to use in Easy Type. That's even more likely if they got around to actually making the sprite before rejecting the design.

It's not scary enough and the image itself doesn't quite make sense... but whatever I guess.

The multi-target Doom/Count only comes when it's near death, so you should be able to finish it off before it runs out with little trouble. It does have a single target Doom that it can use throughout the battle but I rarely see it, I'm not sure what exactly triggers it.

The single targeted Doom is used late in the battle script as far as I can tell... I don't think it gets used after his HP refresh. I'd say Phoenix has a better idea... probably a better idea to ask him instead.

Edit: It replaces the multitargeted Bio he normally casts late in the battle script before the HP refresh.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 11:05:42 pm by Deathlike2 »
FF4 Research Continues

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 01:59:23 am »
It's not scary enough and the image itself doesn't quite make sense... but whatever I guess.

Meh, I like it, I like the original more though. They did an excellent job on Zeromus's final form in the DS version; his first form...not so much.

tcaudilllg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 08:05:49 am »
Hmm... these changes MIGHT make me consider replaying Final Fantasy II/IV for the 10th time through... could be good for some nostalgia. Ah, those inane Woosley phrases: sounds from the elementary school playground. I can't help but wonder what I would have made of the woman coming out of Zeromus' torso had I seen it back in '92. As many strange ideas as I got out of that game before, my, how much stranger they would have been had she been there. Can you imagine the speculation? "It's Barbaricia!" "No, it's Tella's daughter, Anna! She was brought back with Zeromus to see Tellah, but she missed him and now she has to fight you to see him again." "You're both wrong: it's Rydia's mom, who came back to get revenge for Cecil killing the Mist villagers!"

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 08:55:13 am »
Except, er, Woolsey was never involved in FF2/snes.

Thank you, come again.

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 10:16:00 am »
Except, er, Woolsey was never involved in FF2/snes.

Thank you, come again.

Actually, he was, just not as the translator:

His first project for Square had been to examine the translated script for the Super Nintendo release of Final Fantasy IV.

http://www.lostlevels.org/200312/200312-ffan2.shtml

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 03:29:38 pm »
So I read somewhere else that his job was to examine FFII's script not so much for FFII, but so they could learn from their mistakes for future projects (like FFL3).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018