News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Tales of Innocence Translation Announcement  (Read 11917 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Tales of Innocence Translation Announcement
« on: July 16, 2008, 12:42:32 pm »

Update By: throughhim413

throughhim413 and KC are collaborating on a project to translate Bandai-Namco's 2007 action RPG title Tales of Innocence for the Nintendo DS!

Tales fans have been patiently waiting and hoping for an official announcement for ToI, but sadly, it looks like that day may never come. Tales of Innocence had all the makings to be a big success outside of Japan. However, with the development of newer games (including the upcoming Tales of Hearts for the DS) and the localization staff already working on Tales of Symphonia's spinoff sequel and Tales of Vesperia, we believe it is unlikely that Tales of Innocence will ever see the light of day.

Tales of Innocence has many of the features that Tales fans both old and new have come to enjoy:

• A 3D battle system (ala Abyss)
  • Voiced Dialogue
  • Voiced Skits
  • Not Sucking (Never Before Available on the DS!)

We're proud to be bringing you some of the freshest and best that the Tales series has to offer. For more information and additional screenshots, please visit the home of this translation on the blog linked below.

Relevant Link: (http://zettaizero.wordpress.com/)

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
Re: Translations: Tales of Innocence Translation Announcement
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 02:06:28 pm »
Yay, more DS and Tales translations!
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

throughhim413

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 03:01:42 pm »
Anyone interested in this project may want to visit the following survey to assist us in deciding how some of the character names will appear in game.

http://zettaizero.questionform.com/public/Innocence1

Thanks to anyone who participates!

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 07:02:37 pm »
submitted. Didn't answer the last question though as I had no idea which name was better(in my opinion, of course)... >.>
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Killa B

• Fallen Angel
    • View Profile
    • Killa B
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 10:43:33 pm »
Submitted also. I tried to actually have reasons for my choices:
2: Luca - like Luca Brasi, as in Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes. :P
3: Ilia - Wikipedia tells me she's the mother of Romulus and Remus.
4: Asura - I don't think Asras is a real thing.

Question one was just my opinion, which I won't bother anyone with.
And I also had no clue for five.
I always dreamed of doing a Pokemon hack

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 02:38:40 am »
Some names in this game are just retarded. It's really lame for the developers to just generate the names randomly (and if someone actually came up with them on his own it's even worse)
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 09:55:00 am »
The official page has names.

http://namco-ch.net/talesofinnocence/character/index.php

Ruca, Iria, Spada, Ricardo, Hermana, Ange, Asras, Inanna, Durandal, Orifiel, Himmel, Coda, Mathias, Thitose, Hasta, Gardle, Sian, Albert, Oswald.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 10:30:15 am »
I hope all of the DS ones get translated by somebody eventually. :)

throughhim413

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 11:35:19 am »
The official page has names.

Ruca, Iria, Spada, Ricardo, Hermana, Ange, Asras, Inanna, Durandal, Orifiel, Himmel, Coda, Mathias, Thitose, Hasta, Gardle, Sian, Albert, Oswald.
The official page is written by Namco Japan and the list is no more meaningful than the kana.  Ruca sound like some of the worst Engrish I've heard in a while.  And come on, Thitose Cxarma?  You've got to be kidding.  I'm using SOME of the "official" names, but others are being interpreted.  If you want to participate, feel free to vote in the poll, but I don't accept the names on the site just because Namco said so.  It wouldn't be the first time they've made an English spelling mistake.  Apologies if I sound rude, that's really not my intention.

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 01:23:11 pm »
Well, I was translating the game up until yesterday, and I went the same route of keep some and change some.

My list was Ruka, Iria, Spada, Ange, Matthius, Ricardo, Chitose and I believe that was it as far as I got. Oh, and I was using Extra Sapien for Inousha.

As for the original names, some of those are better than Ilia at least. And ルカ is the most common name in RPGs, so I tried not to romanize it in a way not used by Final Fantasy 4, Chrono Trigger, Suikoden 2 (this one used Luca,) or any of the others I'm sure I'm missing.

I hope all of the DS ones get translated by somebody eventually. :)

The problem is that people that translate games usually play them first. No one that's played Tempest is going to want to waste their time translating it.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 01:45:38 pm by Guadozoku »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 03:23:33 pm »
Namco has produced some of the weirdest RPG names I’ve ever seen. Just look at every RPG they’ve made in the past decade or so and you’ll understand pretty quickly.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Cidolfas

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Compendium
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 11:39:07 pm »
Romanization, even official romanization, rarely produces normal-looking names. In particular I recall the Chrono Cross name romanization, which was often way off base.

I much prefer names that look natural in English - Luca, Asura, etc. Iria/Ilia is a toss-up.

I'd really love to play this game on a real DS...

fireball

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 08:11:20 am »
Boy, this is great news. :thumbsup: I'm just about to buy a DS (kinda late on that, yeah....) and i can't get enough of those Tales rpg's.

Aquillion

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 07:05:16 am »
Luca and Asura seem like obvious ones to me -- they're based on real things, people, or relatively real names, while the other options aren't.  I can't really see anything but those as being the 'intended' names.  Although we ended up with "Marth" as official, so what do I know?

Chitose's name is more annoying.  I mean, "Chitose Charma" seems like it was most likely the intention (especially if she's a spellcaster or whatever) but it also sounds stupid in English.  Chitose Cxarma is unpronounceable, but it has some charm to it...  is the absurdity of her name actually something people comment on in dialog?  If so, I'd say go for that, even if it's unpronouncable.  As long as you don't use "Thitose" it should be fine (that one sounds more like a character from Beath of Flams.)

As for the original names, some of those are better than Ilia at least. And ルカ is the most common name in RPGs, so I tried not to romanize it in a way not used by Final Fantasy 4, Chrono Trigger, Suikoden 2 (this one used Luca,) or any of the others I'm sure I'm missing.
The thing is, with names like those (especially taken in the context of their last names, and the other names in the list), it is obvious that Chitose notwithstanding they intended for most of the characters to have what they saw as relatively normal-sounding "Western" names.  Ilia/Iria, Spada, Ange, Matthius, and Ricardo are all fairly common Western European names.  'Luca' fits perfectly into this list.  (And Chitose is at least a common real-world name.)  "Ruca" doesn't fit at all, since it's not a common real name; if it was used, he'd be the only person in the cast with a relative nonsense word for his first name.  "Ruka" is a real name, but it doesn't fit his last name or with the majority of the cast.

Sure, you could romanize it both ways, but that doesn't mean both options are right.   I think the context makes it clear in this case which one was intended; "Milda" is a European name; so is Luca.  "Ruka" definitely isn't, so "Ruka Milda" makes very little sense.  And "Ruca", of course, doesn't even seem to be a name at all -- it's a Mexican-Spanish slang term for an old maid.  When you have the option between translating a name as an actual name or as something else, I would say naturally you should translate it as a name...

Yes, it's a common name in RPGs, but so what?  The character has a common name; he's supposed to have the same name as all of the other characters you mentioned, and, who knows, maybe it was even a sly dig at one of those characters (not likely, but not impossible either.)  Sure, if you don't want him to have the same name as anyone else because it bothers you while playing, then change his name to something totally unrelated to what it was before when the game lets you name him -- but I think, for a translation, having it closer to those names would be better, because that accurately translates the fact that it is the exact same name.

Of course, excessive accuracy to what was intended is not necessarily the most important consideration, particularly for something like that, but the general European flavor of most of those names doesn't seem like an accident to me, and it should probably be preserved in the translation; "Luca" achieves that goal, while "Ruca" or "Ruka" doesn't.

I also think that "Ruca" looks stupid.  It's just harder to make an argument for that.

"Ilia" and "Iria" are both real names.  "Ilia" is somewhat ethnic-Jewish, although not exclusively Jewish.

You might try looking the names up on baby name lists, to see where they're from and what they mean (and to see if they're real names or not.)  That might give you hints towards the 'intended' name, if you care.  For instance, "Iria" is of British origin, from "Iris" (does the character have any connection to flowers?  Is her mother/child/sibling named Iris?  Etc.)   "Ilia" means "The Lord is my god" in Hebrew (and would be an appropriate name for a staff chick or whatever, I suppose.)  "Luca" is Latin for "Light", explaining its popularity for main characters and heroic people...  Presumably its use in Suikoden II was ironic, if they knew its meaning at all.  (Not impossible; there are baby name sites in Japanese too, presumably.  And you'd hope they put at least enough thought into naming major characters to look them up in something like that, at least to see that their names don't mean something stupid.)

Anyway, you probably wouldn't turn anything up with a search like that, but occasionally it could reveal, say, a linked meaning with another character's name that the translation should preserve, or something like that.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:15:31 am by Aquillion »

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 08:11:42 am »
Actually, Iria is/was a port in Spain. Gemini and I discussed this on IRC yesterday, and we concluded that Iria really was the best way to go.