News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Tenchi Muyo! RPG Re-released  (Read 7618 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Tenchi Muyo! RPG Re-released
« on: March 20, 2009, 10:04:24 am »

Update By: borderLine

The SNES version of Tenchi Muyo! was based on the popular anime series.  It is a strategy game that, although very short by RPG standards, can become quite addictive (partly due to its simplicity).

In the year 2000, a 98% English patch was released by LNF Translations.

It wasn't until after beating the Japanese version of the game that I discovered the English translation.  After this discovery, I went through a few mood swings:
  • I became excited about the opportunity to finally understand what I was playing.
  • I became disappointed with the numerous bugs in the English translation.  They were so bad that it was more fun when I couldn't read it.
  • I became determined to restore this game to the quality it would have if Banpresto/AIC Pioneer had released a North American version.  

I leave it up to you to judge how close I came on that last part.

RHDN Tenchi Muyo! Page

Relevant Link: (http://tenchimuyo.100webspace.net)

snesmaster40

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Tenchi Muyo! RPG Re-released
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 11:24:37 am »
Awesome. Now I have a good reason to replay this.
Are we not men?

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 11:25:54 am »
Heh, caught wind of this a couple days back, thought it should have been a front pager.

Unfortunately, I'm still wrapped up in another RPG, one that one would think should be shorter than it is, to give this another go at the moment. I'd like to see the improvements, as I played LNF's translation back when it first came out.

A hint for anyone that would be playing this for the first time:
Leveling up is based on getting the last hit to kill off an opponent. For example, in the first battle of the game, any character that scores 2 kills, whether they even struck the opponent beforehand or not, will go to level 2.

Edit: After giving both translations a try, here's where thing get weird: LNF's translation starts off with a scene that shows Sasami and Ryo-ohki looking for Washu, then the enemies you face in the first battle show up. Makes sense. Your patch shows a scene involving Mihoshi and a robot near a spaceship, but the text is garbled junk. Both cases, it seems a scene is cut out. You did a good job keeping the text readable in the boxes, but it's still not what I would consider 100%
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 06:34:43 pm by FallenAngel2387 »

borderLine

• If we are all here, then we must not be all there.
    • View Profile
    • The Tenchi Muyo Translation Completion Project
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 03:16:57 am »
Minor update to the patch:  Fixed the cheat menu (I didn't know it was there:), and while I was at it, I took care of a couple of other things that were on my to-do list involving ampersands, hearts, and quotation marks.

It should be available when the submission goes through.
while ($repeat) {
    Wash(Shampoo());
    Rinse(Water());
}

zuzma

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 04:21:52 am »
You say the game occasionally freezes, at what point does it usually? So far I haven't noticed anything like that in bsnes.

FallenAngel2387: If you're talking about that scene at the beginning I don't see any garbled text. Maybe it was fixed in his updated patch.

snesmaster40

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 07:07:36 am »
There's a cheat menu? What does it do?
Are we not men?

borderLine

• If we are all here, then we must not be all there.
    • View Profile
    • The Tenchi Muyo Translation Completion Project
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 08:46:56 am »
That scene was because I had uploaded a bad patch.  It was only a few hours before it was fixed.

Cheat menu:  Hold L+R+Select+Y, and press A at the title screen.  It may take a few tries to get the timing right; just rewind if the game starts.  It gives you the option to listen to sounds/music or start the game with all 12 characters.
while ($repeat) {
    Wash(Shampoo());
    Rinse(Water());
}

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 09:07:42 am »
Ah, alright, my mistake. Like I said, I was busy with something else, so I must have gotten the patch when you first uploaded it(before it was even announced), and not noticed the update.

...Oh yeah, I tried patching from scratch by the way, seems the rom needs a header. That's something some might have trouble with if this isn't known.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 09:07:22 am by FallenAngel2387 »