News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Site: RHDN 2.2 Released!  (Read 12107 times)

RHDNBot

Site: RHDN 2.2 Released!
« on: June 23, 2009, 10:31:56 am »
Update By: Nightcrawler

We're happy to announce the major release of RHDN 2.2. This release brings several new features that have been added to the site. You may have noticed a few of these features silently deployed for testing over the past several weeks. The showcase piece this time around is the addition of a long awaited Font Archive that should benefit ROM hackers of all types. Please be sure to read the submission guidelines, and look at some of the example fonts already in place for details on what is expected from your entry.

In addition to that, we have many other additions and have addressed all site issues/bugs on file! See the highlights below.

RHDN 2.2 Highlights:
  • New Font Archive section
  • Multiple Authors support for Hacks Section
  • UTF-8 Full Site and Forum Conversion
  • Language added to Extended Translation Submissions Page
  • Reason for change field added to all edit submissions
  • Site wide dynamic page titles
  • Fixed all recorded site issues and problems on file!

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net)

Killa B

• Fallen Angel
    • View Profile
    • Killa B
Re: Site: RHDN 2.2 Released!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 11:30:15 am »
Yay! :beer:

I guess this is where I get to be a killjoy, and complain that you can't add a new author when editing an existing hack. The entry for Parallel Worlds says it's "a joint hack with SePH", but I can't change it because SePH isn't in the database.
I always dreamed of doing a Pokemon hack

Tauwasser

• Fantabulous!!
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 12:15:13 pm »
I second Killa B's proposition to include a field to add an author to the community database via edit form.
Nice work nonetheless ;)

Also, sorry to not have brought this up sooner, but there is a long-standing issue with the commas in the description of hacks. It will always display a comma after each entry, regardless if it is the last entry or not.

"G,S,L,T,GP," instead of "G,S,L,T,GP". This is for any number of mods and even for the maximum of mods available (5 as seen in parallel worlds).

cYa,

Tauwasser
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:21:09 pm by Tauwasser »

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 01:10:52 pm »
How can someone reach the font section from the navigation bar? Maybe I'm blind but I don't see an option anywhere.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 01:17:39 pm »
1. If you really need to add more people, do so HERE. There will be no significant code change such as the interface and additional functionality you've described anytime in the near future other than an SMF 2.0 upgrade and related material. Since you can already add people at the link provided, it's only a matter of convenience.

2.  Oh the horror... I didn't really care about a comma when I made the code originally. Here, come up with something better. You can see how little I cared about this code. Should be self explanatory. Final displayed string is in $hackdata['mods']. You can probably stick the fields in an array and process it via a loop and do something about the comma that way.

Code: [Select]
$mods=null;
if($hackdata['Graphics'])
$mods .='G,';
if($hackdata['Sound'])
$mods .='S,';
if($hackdata['Levels'])
$mods .='L,';
if($hackdata['Text'])
$mods .='T,';
if($hackdata['Gameplay'])
$mods .='GP,';
$hackdata['mods']=$mods;

3. The Font archive is on the left hand navigation bar now. I forgot about that.

4. Ingrates. First responses are always complaints. :P
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

UglyJoe

• smoke and mirrors
    • View Profile
    • ximwix.net/xb
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 01:22:19 pm »
2.  Oh the horror... I didn't really care about a comma when I made the code originally. Here, come up with something better. You can see how little I cared about this code. Should be self explanatory. Final displayed string is in $hackdata['mods']. You can probably stick the fields in an array and process it via a loop and do something about the comma that way.

$mods=null;
if($hackdata['Graphics'])
$mods .='G,';
if($hackdata['Sound'])
$mods .='S,';
if($hackdata['Levels'])
$mods .='L,';
if($hackdata['Text'])
$mods .='T,';
if($hackdata['Gameplay'])
$mods .='GP,';
$hackdata['mods']=$mods;

Add

$mods = trim($mods, ",");

before the last line.  If, for some bizarre reason, the $mods string is supposed to start with a comma, use rtrim instead of trim.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 01:22:52 pm »

:-*

And let me be the first to say that a Font section is absolutely awesome. I'm on the lookout for new fonts all the time. I really hope the community takes some time and submits their favourite fonts.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Tauwasser

• Fantabulous!!
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 02:03:08 pm »
1. If you really need to add more people, do so HERE. There will be no significant code change such as the interface and additional functionality you've described anytime in the near future other than an SMF 2.0 upgrade and related material. Since you can already add people at the link provided, it's only a matter of convenience.

Wow. I've looked for that option for quite some time and was unable to find it. How did you even get to that page in the first place o.O?
I actually think I even asked about this functionality once and was told that the only way to add people to the database is via a new entry - the rationale being that no people without associated projects are created.

cYa,

Tauwasser

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 02:13:29 pm »
UglyJoe:
Thanks! I didn't even think about trim(). It's always the obvious answer. Added it to the code. :)

Kaioshin:
Thanks. It certainly has potential. I recall quite a few people wishing we had one over the past few years. Though the same could be said about Reviews, but that didn't go so well. I'd say they went about a notch or two above failure for the site. Hope it's not wasted time.

Tauwasser
It's only semi-public. We've always wanted to restrict the people in the community database only to those who have material on the site. We don't want people just trying to add themselves or others without corresponding material.  That equates to unnecessary policing by staff when screening. So it's been on a need to know basis. It hasn't come up often. If we really need to, we can move a link to it to the top via a 'Add New Person' link of the main Community page like the other section. But in a world where 2% do all the heavy lifting, is it necessary?
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 04:32:04 pm »

:-*

And let me be the first to say that a Font section is absolutely awesome. I'm on the lookout for new fonts all the time. I really hope the community takes some time and submits their favourite fonts.

I wholeheartedly agree. Though, there's more VWFs than anything else. I think perhaps I'll run through the various fonts I have and add some, and hopefully others will start adding more, too! This is definitely something ROMhackers should have at their disposal.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 04:43:33 pm »
It looks great but the links in the font section are very light colored. They almost can't be seen. I'm on Blue Jean theme.

EDIT: checked on main theme and it's fine so it looks like a theme issue.

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 07:33:54 pm »
3. The Font archive is on the left hand navigation bar now. I forgot about that.

Fonts are also missing from the submit files page, and there is no newest section for them on the right bar.

Tauwasser

• Fantabulous!!
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 08:14:18 pm »

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 09:41:29 am »
Fonts are on the Submit Files Page now too.

Fonts aren't going on the right hand bar with a Newest section. There's a half a dozen things on this site that aren't there. It's already full with the bigger sections. It's current format just doesn't work if you're going to try to stick everything there.

If it's actually used and there is frequent new fonts, we'll see about something then, but I'd probably just add a submission date field to the font listings, so you can just order by date to see the newest. In fact... one minute... Ok, there you go. You can order them by date and see the newest that way.

I can't imagine fonts will be heavily used that you need to know what the latest fonts are on the main page all the time. We'll likely get a little surge and then a trickle at best.

Spikeman

• *unce unce unce*
    • View Profile
    • None at the moment, check out my Last.fm page instead?
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 11:17:27 am »
Small bug: on the main font listing page (http://www.romhacking.net/fonts/) if the description is truncated in the middle of a url tag it doesn't parse the tag.

For example, the description for Final Fantasy Classic Menu Font is displayed as:
This copy has been slightly enhanced by [url=http://....
Open Source Hacking Projects: Guru Logic Champ, Telefang 2, (Want more? Check out my GitHub!)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 01:43:30 pm »
Yes, because if you use simple character count truncation, that's what you get. If you try and process BB first and then cut, you get malformed XHTML. So, that's the way it is unless you have some more fancy truncation that will only truncate at the nearest space or end tag to the limit or something. You can really get in trouble if a list was used in the description and the truncation would take place somewhere in the middle. The same can be said for most bb tags. It becomes a bit complicated to handle a truncation when it can happen in the middle of any of those. Then, what if you got a really long list or quote? You have to truncate before it instead of after it because after it makes something way too large. Rather than deal with all those headaches for very little return, I gave it some simple truncation. ;)

Feel free to accommodate all of the above and we can use it:

if(mb_strlen($row['description'])>250)
$row['description']=mb_substr($row['description'],0,250) . '....';

Tricolucas

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 03:39:24 pm »
Awesome! And we can submit fonts.  :thumbsup:
I was looking for this since a long time ago.

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 01:08:42 pm »
It's really quite simple, NC; use a variant of my message splitter code from Conspire, then check for unclosed tags.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 02:06:26 pm »
Nobody has submitted any fonts at all since it opened.  :'(

Kiyoshi:
If you or anyone else wants to do the work and provide a function that excepts the full description and outputs the truncated one, I'll gladly drop it in. Otherwise, the issue never bothered me to begin with. ;)

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2009, 04:36:41 pm »
Nobody has submitted any fonts at all since it opened.  :'(
Sounds like a prime time for the 16 fonts PB is using, eh? Problem is, most of those are already in the archive. :-\
* Lenophis looks in the archive
Hmmm, looks like he only submitted the VWF's...

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!