News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Utilities: Phoenix Hacks Announces: FF4Tools  (Read 11892 times)

RHDNBot

Utilities: Phoenix Hacks Announces: FF4Tools
« on: September 07, 2009, 09:06:33 am »

Update By: Phoenix Hacks

I'm pleased to announce the first release of FF4Tools, a set of three utilities intended to help in hacking FF4. Written in Javascript, these tools are intended to be used alongside a hex editor. The package currently consists of a Dialogue/Name Editor, an Event Editor, and a Location Map Editor.

All of the tools load the default hex data and convert it for you as you edit. You can then paste it back into the ROM with a hex editor. Instructions are included within each tool; push the "?" button in the top-left corner to display them.

You can download the 7-zipped file here or from the "Relevant Link" page below. You can also find more (and larger) screenshots and a demo on that page. Feel free to e-mail or PM me with comments or questions, or post them in the discussion for this news item.

Staff Note: You can also find this archived here at RHDN.

Relevant Link: (http://phoenixhacks.blackapplehost.com/ff4utilities.html)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:05:41 am by Nightcrawler »

golden

• View Profile
    • Mare Incognitum
Re: Utilities: Phoenix Hacks Announces: FF4Tools
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 10:54:01 am »
Congrats on your release! I never saw an online based romhacking tool before, it's definitely an interesting concept.

Did you use a Javascript library like jQuery? I'm asking this because a couple of years ago I made a web application in Javscript + AJAX. It was basically a simpler google calendar for the managment of my CS Department's classes. I had no previous experience with the 2 technologies so I wanted to make everything from scratch (ie. with no external libraries). I remember the drag-and-drop feature was literally a drag to implement >:(

It would've been a nice experience if it weren't for all the trouble I had trying to make it display correctly on all 4 major browsers (QuirksMode was a good source of information though). A few months later I realized it would've been less frustrating if I had used jQuery instead, which already implements a lot of cross-browser code (and because of its API-like nature, simplifies plenty of stuff like the drag-and-drop feature in my case).

Also, making your HTML valid does help in this regard. I checked your main page and it wasn't fully compliant with XHTML 1.0 rules. In fact, this is how it's displayed on my Firefox. It's no big deal though. :)

Kronus_Arm

• Act like a baddass, whine like a sissy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 03:46:45 pm »
I really appreciate the concept, this will more likely an editor to look for hacking FFIV.

Phoenix Hacks

• View Profile
    • Phoenix Hacks
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 06:04:39 pm »
Congrats on your release! I never saw an online based romhacking tool before, it's definitely an interesting concept.

Did you use a Javascript library like jQuery? I'm asking this because a couple of years ago I made a web application in Javscript + AJAX. It was basically a simpler google calendar for the managment of my CS Department's classes. I had no previous experience with the 2 technologies so I wanted to make everything from scratch (ie. with no external libraries). I remember the drag-and-drop feature was literally a drag to implement >:(

It would've been a nice experience if it weren't for all the trouble I had trying to make it display correctly on all 4 major browsers (QuirksMode was a good source of information though). A few months later I realized it would've been less frustrating if I had used jQuery instead, which already implements a lot of cross-browser code (and because of its API-like nature, simplifies plenty of stuff like the drag-and-drop feature in my case).

Also, making your HTML valid does help in this regard. I checked your main page and it wasn't fully compliant with XHTML 1.0 rules. In fact, this is how it's displayed on my Firefox. It's no big deal though. :)

I didn't use a library like jQuery. I actually had originally written the tools in Applescript, then realized that they would be more accessible to everyone (as well as quite a bit faster) if I rewrote them in Javascript. I didn't really need a library, since the Javascript in them is mostly only a loop that converts the hex data, but I'll look into jQuery for future enhancements. I've heard of it but don't know much about it.

I did test all of them in Safari, Opera, and Firefox, but some things just slip by you. I agree with you, making things cross-browser really is a pain. I did try to validate all my pages, but I forgot to revalidate it at the end. Oh well, next release.  ;)  I must have forgotten to set the z-index of the Phoenix Hacks logo so it would be in the background, too. I'll fix that in the next release as well, thanks for pointing it out.

The biggest thing I forgot to mention in my news announcement is that it doesn't work at all in IE, so I hope people read this! I also can't really test it, since I use a Mac, so I'll probably never support it. Also, I should have given the current bug list (and probably should have included it somewhere in the tools themselves...d'oh). Basically, in terms of compatibility and speed, the browser ranking is Safari > Firefox > Opera > IE. Here's the full list as of now:

Code: [Select]
FF4TOOLS MAIN PAGE
Firefox
- Javascript image scaling can be a little jumpy sometimes
- Phoenix Hacks logo is set to float above other images

DIALOGUE/NAME EDITOR
All Browsers
- A window can’t be two blank lines

Firefox
- Editing after loading an entire dialogue bank is very slow
- Inserting a special character doesn’t put the cursor back where it’s supposed to go
- Hitting return when there’s lots of text will return the view (but not the cursor) to the top of the text

Opera
- Editing after loading an entire dialogue bank is very slow
- Inserting a special character doesn’t put the cursor back where it’s supposed to go
- Asterisks don’t stick, and hitting return removes all asterisks from the text, making the tool unusable

EVENT EDITOR
Opera
- The text data box renders a little too narrow

LOCATION MAP EDITOR
All browsers
- Drawing outside the map and releasing the button will still register as mouseDown when moving back onto the map

Opera
- Right click doesn’t work (at least for me)

golden

• View Profile
    • Mare Incognitum
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 07:00:03 pm »
Quote from: Phoenix Hacks
The biggest thing I forgot to mention in my news announcement is that it doesn't work at all in IE, so I hope people read this! I also can't really test it, since I use a Mac, so I'll probably never support it.

Yeah, at the time I also didn't have a copy of IE but BrowserShots came in handy: it lets you test your website on various browsers (IE included) so you can check how it renders in them. You just type in the url, select the desired browsers and after a few minutes the server outputs the screenshots of those browsers.

For instance, your main page looks like this on IE 6: http://browsershots.org/screenshots/e4a450e481122e3a10d52951bbe0765b/
And it doesn't seem broken, apart from the famous lack of alpha transparency in PNG images. I had to fix this as well.

(Just one final comment: the zoom-in effect seems a bit pointless, why not load the subpages immediately?)

The rest looks great, good luck with the next release ;)

Phoenix Hacks

• View Profile
    • Phoenix Hacks
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 03:56:06 am »
Yeah, at the time I also didn't have a copy of IE but BrowserShots came in handy

(Just one final comment: the zoom-in effect seems a bit pointless, why not load the subpages immediately?)

I thought of BrowserShots, but there's no way to test the Javascript with that (which, by the way, I believe doesn't work for any of the tools). If anyone experiences differently, let me know.

The zoom-in effect was really only to look cool. I realize it's rather pointless. You can go directly to the subpages by clicking on the name of it, although if you move the mouse too high it moves the name, I know.  :laugh:  If only a few people want to remove it, they can edit the HTML to do so; if the majority of people don't like it, I'll get rid of it.

Thanks for the comments.

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 10:02:35 pm »
If only a few people want to remove it, they can edit the HTML to do so; if the majority of people don't like it, I'll get rid of it.

I didn't say anything while testing, but I don't really like it. I just go into the editors individually, though.

Phoenix Hacks

• View Profile
    • Phoenix Hacks
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 04:01:55 am »
I didn't say anything while testing, but I don't really like it. I just go into the editors individually, though.

Thanks for the vote. I'll add another to the "No" list. :beer:

knighTeen87

• No More Room In Hell
    • View Profile
    • My personal site with Rom Hacks&Translations,Neo Geo Soundtracks,PSX Isos,CT 2007 Hack and more...t
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 04:29:20 pm »
Sorry but i have a question.I downloaded the 7-zipped file and it came like this "FF4Tools.7zp"
My computer doesn't recognize this extension and i have 7-zip program.How can i get it to work?
Thanx for help,i wanna translate FF4 to Turkish with this tool :)

golden

• View Profile
    • Mare Incognitum
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 04:44:10 pm »
It's just a typo, rename it to "FF4Tools.7z".

Phoenix Hacks

• View Profile
    • Phoenix Hacks
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 06:21:46 pm »
It's not a typo -- I originally had it as "7z", but RHDN would only allow "7ZP" as a file extension when uploading. Anybody know the reason why? I think "7z" would be better, since it seems to be the default for most people.

knighTeen87

• No More Room In Hell
    • View Profile
    • My personal site with Rom Hacks&Translations,Neo Geo Soundtracks,PSX Isos,CT 2007 Hack and more...t
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 06:22:35 pm »
typing "7z" didn't work and i can't get it work now  :(

golden

• View Profile
    • Mare Incognitum
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 06:41:47 pm »
It's not a typo -- I originally had it as "7z", but RHDN would only allow "7ZP" as a file extension when uploading. Anybody know the reason why? I think "7z" would be better, since it seems to be the default for most people.

Sorry, I stand corrected. :-X

typing "7z" didn't work and i can't get it work now  :(

knighTeen87, if you have 7-Zip and rename it as "FF4Tools.7z" it has to open.

knighTeen87

• No More Room In Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 07:06:49 pm »
no man it didn't work.and trust me,there is no problem with my 7-zip.can't you send me with just "rar" ing it please? :)

golden

• View Profile
    • Mare Incognitum
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 07:11:15 pm »
Sure, here it is: http://jump.fm/TCDAS

knighTeen87

• No More Room In Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 07:25:27 pm »
Thanx so much for this!!!