News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Ganbare Goemon 2 translated!  (Read 23234 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Ganbare Goemon 2 translated!
« on: October 17, 2009, 08:20:43 am »

Update By: Pennywise

Ganbare Goemon 2 is now completely translated. Certain strings were not found in-game. They were given numbers and if you find any, please let me know. Have some fun playing this awesome game this weekend!

Staff Note - You can also get the patch here at RHDN.

Relevant Link: (http://yojimbo.eludevisibility.org/GanbareGoemon2/GanbareGoemon2.html)

synchronicity

• View Profile
    • Synchronicity
Re: Translations: Ganbare Goemon 2 translated!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 10:16:15 am »
Hey there! Great job. I also ran into a lot of unused strings in my Brandish 2 translation. We're thinking they're leftovers from the original PC98 version. But I'm pretty sure Goemon games were always built from the ground up for the systems on which they appeared. If there was a PC98 version of this game, then I'm sure that's why there are unused strings.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 12:00:02 pm »
Some of it might be very well hidden because the programmers apparently put themselves in the game. Anyway I forgot to put this in the news, but Jajamaru is completely translated and 100% inserted and working fine. All that left's is misc hacking and going through the game. I should have another patch soon.

Edit: Oh, as far hidden text goes. You might be able to wake the sleeping guy you find throughout the game. Just a guess, but I couldn't wake him up.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 12:20:25 pm by Pennywise »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 12:57:11 pm »
There aren't 8 loops like the first game this time around?

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 01:06:08 pm »
No, I think there are about 10 stages with no replays.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 01:09:35 pm »
Here are a couple of Japanese pages that mention something about hidden characters:

http://www.geocities.jp/gurafsander/gamedera.retrogamehonbo.Ganbare_Goemon_2.html

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley/5158/goe2_index.htm

What about the ending, is there just one or are there variations?

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 01:15:47 pm »
Can't really read japanese, so I'll have to forward those sites to my translator, but I didn't see anything I didn't know about. As for the ending, to my knowlegde there is only one.

Actually, not sure how Ebi wound up in the mystery maze.

And I found an issue and figured out how to get Ebi in the maze all at the same time.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 01:43:05 pm by Pennywise »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 08:27:48 pm »
Penny, I found one of the untranslated strings. Number 11.

Here's a save in front of the house:

http://sharebee.com/cfeb516f

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 08:51:47 pm »
I don't know how I missed that one, but that makes 2 things to do for the update patch. Found Kanbe's Secret House yet? That's the only secret I could find.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 08:54:53 pm »
I did enter a house with a white door (the only white door that goemon was able to enter) and some dude said something like "how did you find my secret house" or something like it. I don't know if its the same kanbe you're talking about.

Here's another untranslated stuff. When goemon hits the lord of the 7th stage, it says "BAM", but there's another onomatopoeia sound that isn't translated.

http://sharebee.com/e3b55444

Also, I don't know if I'm crazy or not, but on stage 7, there is a part where you come across a temple with a huge red balloon (?) thing and two exits on the right and left ( pic here http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley/5158/goe27.htm). Well, when I started this stage and reached that area, my first instinct was to enter that temple and I did go in. But then I left to see what was on the other two exits and when I tried entering the temple again, it did nothing. As if there wasn't anything to enter to.

Am I crazy and I imagined I entered there or is that some sort of secret that I can't trigger anymore?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 08:59:59 pm by reyvgm »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 09:01:11 pm »
Oh, snap. That makes it 4 things to do for the update patch. Found string #12 one the same stage and yeah that's Kanbe's house. One of the things I didn't do enough of was play through the game with Ebi tagging along.

I have no idea about that temple. I've never been able to enter it.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 09:07:16 pm »
This one is probably a glitch, but just in case.
If you enter the house, the guy inside says "anter the maze", but if you leave and enter again, he says it correctly (Enter the maze...)

http://sharebee.com/50d587a7

Another thing, are you sure that T.Yamane in the credits isn't M.Yamane? As in Michuru Yamane?

That's the only NES game she worked in, so that T.Yamane must be a mistake.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 09:32:10 pm by reyvgm »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 09:40:01 pm »
I got the translation for the credits from Moby Games and they technically should be right as my translator took a look at them. The T stands for Tozan, which is probably some special name. There's also K. Shinamon, but the real name is Kazuhiro Aoyama, but he goes by Shinamon for some reason. I'm basically going by how the game credits them.

Also that issue is my fault because of my poor choice of Ram usage. Might be fixable, but it could cause problems elsewhere if changed. We'll see.

Kitsune Sniper

• Complaining about mods == trolling, whee
    • View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 01:35:47 pm »
I got the translation for the credits from Moby Games and they technically should be right as my translator took a look at them. The T stands for Tozan, which is probably some special name. There's also K. Shinamon, but the real name is Kazuhiro Aoyama, but he goes by Shinamon for some reason. I'm basically going by how the game credits them.

Also that issue is my fault because of my poor choice of Ram usage. Might be fixable, but it could cause problems elsewhere if changed. We'll see.
Oh lord, I actually saw those credits and they freaked me the hell out.

And it IS Michiru Yamane. You sure you saw the right credits?
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 01:45:31 pm »
According to Moby Games, the kanji translate to Tozan Yamane, but they also have her real down as well.

From Moby

Michiru Yamane (Tozan Yamane [山根登山])

Kitsune Sniper

• View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 02:33:28 pm »
Oh, you're using the fake names. Okay then. ;p

(I saw the submission in the queue and freaked at the kanji. The submitter knows Japanese and he's one of our biggest Japanese content contributors, but I didn't feel confident enough to approve it...)
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

SteveMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 05:28:12 pm »
Who, me?  ;D

Glad to see this finally released. It was my very first project back in December last year. Had fun doing it, gave me an excuse to play the game over again also.

About Michiru Yamane, I didn't even notice it was her. I simply went by what was written in the credits. Kinda surprised how many people appear to use fake names, wonder why. I had no idea Yamane even scored this game(the series even..?), I'm only familiar with her Castlevania work.

Well, hope everyone enjoys it. I'm hoping to possibly take up other Goemon projects, provided I have the free time, which is getting harder to get these days.

Currently working on Moon: Remix RPG Adventure translation

Kitsune Sniper

• View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 05:40:37 pm »
Who, me?  ;D
... You're not djsquarewave! :police:

Fake names were very common during that time in Konami. Who knows why.

butane bob

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 09:24:29 am »
Pretty keen to play this, but nestopia is giving me a mapper error after i apply the patch with lunar IPS. The rom works fine unpatched, so is there something i have to do before i apply it? (ad or remove header etc) Or is it just a Nestopia issue?

Cheers.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 12:50:15 pm »
You got me there. Works fine in FCEU though, but I'd like to know why it's not working in NEStopia. I don't think I touched anything that would alter the mapper.